Sunday, January 25

Quick Church Update

We went today, all of us. It was really nice. The potluck after the service was small, as one of the families in the church had a birthday party to attend - their Grandma's 97th! What a joyful occasion! Those of us who stayed, however, also had a lovely time.

I found out the pastor's wife is a confirmed curriculum junkie. OK, so that's just a personal bonus. I didn't know they homeschool, too. But to find out that they do, and that she, also has a hard time picking curricula because there are sooooo many good ones. Oh, like a kindred soul.

The boys seemed to get along quite nicely. They told jokes back and forth over lunch, and as soon as they'd finished they all cleared their spots and disappeared out the back door. Of course, you never know if your kids are going to go and do something Truly Weird when they get out of earshot... I try not to think about that. And we did let the pastor know that we are the kind of parents who actually do want to know if our children are making poor choices. Because that's a big part of what parenting is - helping your children learn how to make good choices on a consistent basis. (Fairly consistent, anyway. Sometimes we have more hope than others, to be honest.) So we did that, and then just sat... and enjoyed the company and fellowship... and it was nice.

Even Zorak had a good time. That's a huge relief for me, anyway. That's one thing we've enjoyed at most of the PCA churches we've attended: the men aren't sitting in the background, seemingly there only because their women wanted them to be. They are active, engaged, and present in more than just body. It's so different than the churches I grew up in, and I hope that's a swing in all the churches, cross-culturally, cross-denominationally. Men have a rich and wonderful place in the church, and a church that has men who fill that place is a beautiful place to gather.

I hate to sound too optimistic so soon in the game, but it feels like this church could be a place we would comfortably call "home".

*contented sigh*

And now, I must clean. (I didn't clean before we left this morning! Oops!) The kids are playing outside. Zorak's off hunting. Jase and I are going to... well, I'm not sure how we'll go about it, but we'll find something to do. Just wanted to touch base.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

7 comments:

mere said...

Oh Dy! That just sounds wonderful! I would love to meet the wacky weaver...she sounds a little like someone I know! Sounds like a very, very, good place to be! Praise the Lord!

mere

Rebel said...

So glad you've finally (maybe) found a good church home. It sounds like a perfect fit. I'll keep my fingers crossed that nothing weird comes up to change your opinion.

H said...

Arg! Comment gone! All gone! I'll try again, but I can't remember everything I typed before I realized that the computer wasn't responding.

I hope that this church will be a good one for your family. How had you not visited there before? it sounded from yesterday's post like there were people in common form a church you loved elsewhere?

I'm glad Z. feels comfortable there. That's big.

Blessings,
H.

Amber said...

Wow, how exciting! That sounds wonderful. It makes such a difference to find that church home, doesn't it. I'm at almost a year now since I found the in to my particular group and it has been fantastic for us.

I hope it continues along this same path - it certainly sounds promising!

Anonymous said...

Oh Dy,

That's superfragilisticexpealidocious!! It's awesome to feel at home with those that you worship with! It's just nice! I'm thrilled for you.

~sdWTMer

The Queen said...

It is GOOD for me to read how WELL things are going there for you. Keep writing :)

Amy said...

Oh, Dy. Here inthe suburbs it seems that most of the churches are big and shiny. I would love to visit that church of yours. I'll pray that it is everything your family needs!