Friday, January 2

Mornin!

Well, we were here all day. The Suburban "isn't fixed, but it's functional". (I cannot convey to you how little I liked hearing that particular explanation... not this far from home.) Anyway, we'll go on to Little Rock to find the missing part there, and then on to Veronica's to finish working on it.

When Zorak still wasn't back by about two, Aunt B had a great suggestion to call the cab company and see what the charge would be to deliver some diapers. You know, when you have a baby with an active digestive system, it is amazing what you'd be willing to pay for diapers! Sadly, the cab company only takes cash, and I only had a handful of actual change on me. But when I called the front desk to see if there was an ATM nearby, the lady offered to run to the store for me when she got off at three. Next thing I know, the front desk calls again and says the lady coming on at three will bring diapers! WOW. It turned out to be the lady who had checked us in the night before. Her little guy is in pull-ups, now, and she brought all her extra size 4's. So sweet. Jase was happy to be let back out of the tub, too.

I sent the boys down to the vending machine to get snacks. They came back and it seemed nothing much had happened. Then the front desk called, "Those were your two boys down here by the vending machine?" (Uh... yes...) "Well, I just wanted you to know that they are so honest, and so well-mannered. We really enjoyed them, and wanted you to know how polite and sweet they are." (*deep exhalation* I mean, you read about my wow-if-that'd-been-me-at-that-age bit from the last post, right? I was a titch worried, there.) I guess the machine had given them too much change, so they turned it in at the desk. And I'm sure they stayed to talk, because that's what we do. We talk to strangers. They come by it honestly.

Smidge asked if we could "not have any TV tomorrow" - I didn't think it could happen, but the kid reached saturation point! Funny. We turned off the TV, read books, worked on a sweater for EmBaby, told jokes, and then they dropped off, one-by-one. When Zorak got back with supper, only two of the five were still up.

So, on we go, to another leg of the Adventure. Time to get everyone else up and fed and loaded back up. And as the new year gets underway, I'm thankful for so many things - cell phones and hotel business centers, friendly people and helpful hearts, loving children and families, smart hubbies and friends who'll make you laugh until you've got it all back in perspective.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

5 comments:

mere said...

I love your ability to be flexible and roll with the punches, you know?

I doubt I would be reflecting so much grace and optimism if I were in your shoes.

Thank God for nice people with extra diapers!

Have a great time at Veronica's!

mere

Pam G-O said...

What a wonderful story ~ I especially love the diaper sharing. How great can people be?

Thanks for sharing, and Happy New Year!

Pam

Melora said...

Happy New Year, Dy! I'm glad you guys are safe, anyway. The kids will remember their adventure fondly for years, I'm sure. Travis still talks about how he Loved living at the Comfort Inn while we were house hunting (those Waffles! and the free cookies!) I hope the rest of your trip goes as planned!

Jules said...

Oh wow! Those are the things that warm a mother's heart. Sweet? polite? turning in extra change? Wow! You have a lot to be proud of.

Good luck on the next leg of the journey! :)

Konkadoo said...

What kind of a place on earth has people at a hotel that hospitable? Are they anything like Radiator Springs on "Cars" where no one ever comes to see them so they were all excited?

Maybe y'all are just so nice compared to most of what they get.