Tuesday, January 13

Hi.


So busy today! Smidge has an appointment with the dentist. Poor little guy developed an abcess. It's not a surprise. He's got a tooth that he killed or scared or something (he's got my graceful genes - always tripping into something - I'm sure he'll thank me later, right?) and it changed color. At his last checkup, the dentist said we'd just keep an eye on it. So, into town today.
And then, to the pharmacy for antibiotics, I'm sure.

It's amazing to me that our children willingly tell us when they are having a problem. Particularly one that will involve a trip to a medical professional to have rectified. Man, I could have had flesh eating aliens hatching in my mouth, and I wouldn't have said a word to my mother! Consequently, she didn't know anything was wrong until mere breathing just about killed me. But these kids are great. At the first sign of trouble, be it a sore spot, or trouble flossing, they come to us and say, "We need to call Dr. B. I'm having trouble with this spot." Huh. I don't tell them I think that's wild. But it's wild.

We'll drop off donations after we hit the pharmacy, and then come home to finish school. (In theory, we take our books with us so they can work in the waiting room. In practice, all they learn is how to carry their book bags with them, but not so much work actually takes place. So, we'll "finish", erm, doitall, when we get home.)

It's supposed to get colder than various metaphorical body parts here in the next few days. High of 29 one day, according to weather.com! I know those of you in the Northern Parts are scoffing as us right now, but seriously, you've seen the pictures. Hillbillies do not handle sub-freezing temperatures well. We can never find our shoes! Hopefully, we can get enough wood up on the porch that we won't need to find the shoes, and then we can stay happily inside and not care that the water pipes may freeze, and be quite thankful we don't have chickens to let out, and... maybe I need to place a book order?

Ok, I'm off!
Kiss those babies!
~Dy

7 comments:

Melora said...

I hope Smidge's dentist appt. goes well. They Are good kids, but I think pediatric dentists have made the whole dentist thing a little less dreadful. When I was a kid (which was, admittedly, quite a bit farther back than when you were a kid) they didn't have such things! We always take our books to appointments and then don't do anything with them too.
I was horrified to look at our weather forcast this morning and see a high of 27 and a low of 7 for Friday! I stayed in the south to avoid numbers like those! I am hoping they will change it (in an upwards direction) as the week goes on. But I can see snow on our neighbor's roof. Shudder!

gerfinchick said...

I love your family. When I read your blog I always think,man, I hope my kids are just as awesome :)
And don't worry, I don't make scoff and you too much when you complain about how cold it is there...though I do feel envious when I see James outside, barefoot, in January. And when I read about your wood burning stove. I suggested to Lasse we take out the A/C unit, put a wood burning stove beneath it and run the pipe out the hole in the wall..but apparently that would violate our lease our something.
Oh, and baby update coming as soon as I can think of a clever way to write one :)

PS--our highs are in the 10s the next few days. Enjoy your weather!

Urban Mom said...

Greetings from Chicago, AKA the 9th ring of hell! I just wanted to say how much I LOVED your last comment over on my blog. You, too, are one of my Imaginary Friends That I Hope To Meet Someday. If you want, "friend me" over at Facebook, if you hang there. Other than that, at all costs, avoid Chicago for the winter! (and perhaps consider attending BlogHer in July??? she asked hopefully???)

Here's hoping for the best for Smidge!

=-)

Konkadoo said...

High of 29 down there? Wow. Can you believe we'll get up to the 50's in the next week? This whole last deep freeze just swooped right by us. Not often that we're warmer than you are.

Hey, but you have a wood stove now. How cool is that?

Kathy Jo DeVore said...

Earlier this week, we had a wind chill factor of -16 F, 6 F regular temp. 'Nuff said. ;)

It's warmed up, though, so I shouldn't complain. Today it's up to 7 F, and the wind chill factor is up to -10 F! Woohoo!

Heidicrafts said...

I'm in the middle of the country and we're supposed to have a HIGH tomorrow of -9 F. Yikes.

But I do appreciate that 29 is a big deal for your neck of the woods. You don't have stuff in place to deal with it.

I stopped at the library yesterday and stocked up on fresh books, so kiddos are reading here today. We had 7" of snow last night, making 15" for the week, and I don't want to go anywhere today, even if it is all of +3 F right now.

Kathy Jo DeVore said...

*clutching my heart* OMGoodness, I should never go to weather.com. Our HIGH for tomorrow is -2F, and "[d]angerous wind chills may approach -30F."

Thank God Ernie is home to do the chores. *shiver*

And is there any reason that weather.com has to use the phrase "bitterly cold" in the descriptions of our weather? Yeah, duh, the NUMBERS tell us that. Can't they sugarcoat it just a little? By golly, they need an In-Denial mode for viewing their site. Like for Katrina, they could have posted, "Record numbers of people will go swimming."

Okay, I'm done whining now. Hope all goes well at the dentist.