Saturday, January 10

Project Overview and Fun Winter Days

Zorak took pity on the children after watching them play with the wagon remnants for a few months. They just couldn't accept that it had died. (Is there anything more pathetic than seeing a child stand in the bed of a wagon with no wheels, waiting for a sibling to come pull the wagon?) A few metal straps, some new bolts, and a can of Rust-Oleum later...

...and another generation of children will know the joy of riding Calvinesquely down the hill.

We've also finished the linen cabinet door, Smidge's bed, another coat rack/bookshelf, and some other project I know I'm forgetting. But my camera has cried Uncle! and needs some TLC. Unfortunately, TLC for a digital camera runs almost enough-to-make-you-want-a-new-camera-instead. But not quite, as it turns out, once you start pricing replacement cameras. So. Pictures lately haven't turned out well enough for Project Blogging.

Outdoor shots seem to be least affected. Which is why I bring you Charge of the Light Brigade, recast starring Smidge... (I missed the charge up the hill with his sword drawn - too funny, that one is.)


And, true to our Apathetically Organic label (or, it would be a label, if KathyJo would quit gasping in horror at the thought of being Organic out of sheer laziness and make me one)... *edited to add - we're lazy. She's not. She works hard. We just don't, really.*

ANYway, we've been working on the land a bit, too.

What? That doesn't look like farming to you? It's, um, it's a tension resistance test. Very important for those... I don't know what that is. Maybe it's a Dogwood? I'll tell you in May, when it blooms. OK, actually, we were flying gliders and one got caught in the tree. So James retrieved it. And what's more fun than shaking the tree your brother is in? I don't know. Looks mighty fun from John's perspective, though. (And yes, I know he's barefooted. I figured if he fell from the scrawniest tree on the entire property and actually broke something, shoes would be the least of our concerns.)

Oh! Oh, now I remember the other project. But we didn't finish it. We began it today. We're clearing rubbish from the Scary Room so that we can build a storage pantry back there. That'll free up the actual basement-y area to be completed. Then we'll have a family room. Or a room I can escape to, where I can hide snacks. And books. And perhaps a coffee pot and a mini-fridge...

Busy season!
Kiss those babies!
~Dy

7 comments:

Jo said...

Oh, I love this post. I have been wondering whether to invest in a little red wagon for our little ones. It seemed somehow unAustralian...we should be building a billycart out of old pram wheels or something - but now I'm totally convinced. We shall put it down to multicultural studies.

Kathyb1960 said...

You could always build a cabinet w/ a false bottom, or false cubby-hole door, or something, and hide your goodie stash in there! LOL

Anonymous said...

Oh pictures. I do love your pictures!

Our camera gave out at Christmas. Very bad timing, I might add! Oy. But we ended up getting a new one. Yippee. I got a new Nikon Coolpix S550. Of course, I do slobber over the D-whatever ones, but alas the budget just does not allow for that. I love this camera though. It's been good so far!

I owe you something. I just need to get it in the mail. I apologize for the delay!

~sdWTMer

Sheila said...

Just letting you know, I passed an award on to you. http://zoofullofboys.blogspot.com
My oldest has just asked for a new red wagon so his little brothers can ride in it ala' Calvin and Hobbes. We're just coming to your house instead.

GrammaMack said...

Bare feet and short sleeves? This is winter?
Sigh.

from Canada :-)

Dy said...

Jo, we have loved our little red wagon Velveteen Rabbit style - we've had it for almost ten years, and it's been one of the best buys, ever. It works as a stroller, food cart, wheelbarrow, downhill propulsion machine, general yard conveyance, hauling wood, moving rocks... we've even filled it with water to use as a wee wading pool when the older boys were tiny. I think I was as glad as the kids were to have it back in good health! Enjoy yours, in as many ways as you can imagine!

GrammaMack, yes, in the dead of winter. Picnics, too. And bulbs are already sprouting. The trade-off is that we have no snowmen, no sledding, no skiing, and the Parvo virus just never gives up and dies off. ;-) (But truth be told, down here, it's all about the Spring and the Autumn - GORGEOUS!) Stay warm!

Kathy Jo DeVore said...

LOL You know that it's ERNIE who works hard, not me. And now I'm going to have to design you an Apathetically Organic label. If you want, I can use the tree from our old logo, 'cause Ernie changed our farm name and it doesn't work now. :( I don't think people would get the whole tree on a hill image with the word "valley" in the name. *shrug* People are weird that way.