Sunday, January 25

Church!

EmBaby and I went to a new church last Sunday. I thought I told you. But no, I told somebody else. (So I will now be the weird old lady who never tells anybody anything and then shrieks, "But I TOLD you all about that!" You've been warned.)

I liked it. It's small. It's not five-people-and-no-room-for-strangers small, just small. Maybe 15 families. The service wasn't a surprise, doctrinally, but the lack of sparkly accompaniment to the service was a Very Pleasant Surprise.

There is one other homeschooling family. They also have five kids. But they have sheep, which we don't have. Very nice people, all the way around. The Mother does weaving. She wove the scarf she was wearing - silk - gorgeous - dyed it herself w/ bugs. Very funny person (like ha-ha-funny, not oh-that's-odd-funny). Didn't look at me like I have three heads for homeschooling five children. *ahhhhh*

They know, and admire, some of our favorite people and leaders from our Home Church (way up North), so that was a nice immediate middle ground. And when I said I was tempted to go back to high school just so I could take one of Dave Hammond's history classes, at least three other people nodded their heads and laughed. He is awesome. I have missed his lectures. Anyway, I'm getting off course, here...

They have a rocking chair in the sanctuary for rocking babies! IN the sanctuary! OK, that goes above, beyond, and well into the realm of My Wildest Dreams. IN the sanctuary, people? Of course, Zorak can't use it b/c he'll fall asleep. But still. Wow.

The pastor's wife approached me after the service and while we talked, she mentioned that they don't have age-segregated activities, but that they do a lot of family-oriented activity, instead. She also said she didn't want us to feel that they had nothing to offer because of the lack of programs, and if we have any ideas for anything that we think "would fit the community" please say something. (I told her that I'd be a bit of a hypocrite to suggest new programs, knowing full well that my littles are still so little and they need me more than anybody else needs a class. She laughed, and said she gets it.)

Did ya hear that? They get it.

Emily met everyone. in. the. room. Even people I didn't get to meet. When we left, three or four people yelled good-bye to her from across the room. I do not know when she met them. She's hilarious. And obviously, I'm getting a little slack in the parenting arena.

I did have one panicky moment when a gentleman came up and introduced himself. I introduced myself, then Emily. I said she's three, and he said, "...and four." And I froze. Ummm, this man reads my blog? Um... What have I written lately?

Turns out that no, he doesn't read my blog. But he'd already met EmBaby, who was busy telling everyone she is "three and four".

Like I said, it's a good thing I took the shy one. Break 'em in slowly... So we'll all go today. And they're having a potluck community outreach supper. *contented sigh* We're taking a dump cake, because the kids can make that, themselves, and have something to offer that they've made. A little personal contribution when you're building community. Hopefully, this will be the place we'll call Home. I'll let you know how it goes today. (And if I don't mention it, remind me. I may have thought I'd already told you.)

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

6 comments:

Kathyb1960 said...

DY that is wonderful! I'm so glad you found a church where you feel comfortable, and they don't ignore you or push you away for suggesting something.

Wouldn't it have been "interesting" to take Em at the age she is now, to that other church! LOL

Actually she sounds like me at her age. We had moved to a new town, and I took my little sister around to the neighbors, asking if they had anyone to play with.

Of course, that was back in the 60's when you could do that.

Good luck today when you take the whole group!

Kathy in West Texas

Jennie C. said...

I'm so happy for you!

Meliss said...

It sounds very promising! How much of a drive is it? For me? Just kidding! ;-)

Jenni said...

This church sounds so wonderful, Dy! I'm excited for you all. I hope you've finally found the right fit for your family.

Emily (Laundry and Lullabies) said...

Oh Dy, that sounds so promising! I love the rocker in the sanctuary (we have one of those in our sanctuary and it is WONDERFUL). And it sounds like Em has already won lots of hearts, and you have a possible kindred spirit in the homeschooling mother - happy sigh - oh I do hope that it really is as good as it sounds! You guys have spent such a long time looking for a church and it would be lovely to have a resting place. I hope that this is it!

Jules said...

Yay! Sounds wonderful! A rocking chair in the sanctuary? That is a beautiful thing. :) I am glad you seem to have found a church you can be at home in.