Monday, October 1

This Isn't Working

So, the backhoe fairy didn't come through. Something about leaky wings. I suspect some yahoo said they don't *believe* in fairies. Well, I clapped, darnit! It should've worked.

So.

We rented a trencher. We didn't have the cash to rent a trencher, not with the wedding next weekend, but perhaps the children can forage for acorns and I can make pancakes from those. Think the neighbors would lend me a cup of water? Gah.

BUT. That was okay, because we had a trencher, and that would do the trick. Except, we got the weenie trencher. (The Big, Tough Trencher was out of commission - probably ought to have been a sign, huh?) We killed the weenie trencher. And we didn't get to the lateral line before it died. I suggested we plant explosives along the fenceline, thinking we'd be sure of hitting it that way. (Small ones, don't worry.) Zorak is ignoring me, now.

The brakes on the Suburban, after three years of being "bad", finally went to well, I guess "dangerous" would be a good description. So, Zorak fixed those. We were like a couple of cave men, looking at the rotors...

They don't look warped.
No. Hey, is that a warp, there?
No, I don't think so. This is steel. It's not going to look like a wet book.
Well, if feels like it when we stop.
*both pause*
Yeah, I don't see any warping.
*shrug*
Well, take it all in, and see what we need.

He came back with new rotors. And an explanation as to how you can tell brake rotors are warped. (You know, just in case you ever decide to do major vehicle repairs you aren't familiar with, right? That can't be just us...) It's the streaks. Oh. *pause* OH! (The things were covered in black streaks. Hah. I get it...) And brake pads. My goodness, but they're thick when they're new! Then he and the boys changed the oil in the Suburban. That was really neat. Until John leapt from the grill onto Smidge's head. Backward.

"I didn't see him!"

Well, no, that's true. Although, I'm not certain it's an acceptable explanation, considering.

I sent Smidge inside to lay down. But first, he had to puke in the hallway. Because he's a puker. *sigh* I hope he doesn't do that at job interviews. Or when he's dating. Could make his life rough.

This morning, Zorak loaded up the trencher to return to the rental yard. I crept quietly into the bathroom to take a long-awaited pampering bath with salt scrub and yummy-smelling things from The Foil Hat (I love Amy's things!) I've just begun to scrape and slather, when I hear "clunk, clunk, clunk" coming down the hall.

While I wondered if the intruder had killed Balto, and whether I could at least reach my sweats first (because nobody wants to be found naked, dead in the tub), I heard Zorak:

"Bad news, Sports Fans. The clutch went out on the truck. I'm going to have to take the Suburban."

I...

Uh...

Well, sometimes you just can't really do anything about... anything. And that's okay. But this wasn't what I'd planned to write when Friday rolled around, lemme tell ya!

Ah, Kiss those babies! (It keeps me sane at times like this.)
~Dy

7 comments:

Melora said...

Oh dear. Sorry your mechanical things are all going expensively wonky at once (isn't it odd how they do seem to do that, though?). Travis tried an acorn yesterday (not out of actual starvation -- more of an experiment) and said it was Not good. Perhaps ground up into flour?

Poor little Smidge. I hope it didn't put him off auto repair for life!

Do you suppose the rental place will give Zorak a refund on their defective trencher?

Becca said...

Oh Dy, what a day!! I'm so sorry about all the mishaps. You handle it all with your usual grace under pressure.

mere said...

Oh, Man! You mean Billy Bob and Skeeter didn't offer to help you with the line? Seeing as how they're so handy with barbed wire and tree trunks, and all...

Gosh, it almost sounds like there were some serious misalignments in the stars for mechanical things in your area...Either that or God is preparing you, and making you very strong.

Sounds like a really crummy weekend. I'm so sorry. {{{{Dy}}}}

mere

Dy said...

Ah, good news. Er, better news. The trencher guy did a full refund on the machine. Yay! Because we'll need that money for the clutch on the truck. *maniacal giggle*

becca, I don't know if you'd call it grace. But at least I didn't cry. I wanted to, but couldn't tell if it was hormones or being overwhelmed. I was afriad that if I started, I might not be able to stop. So, I've been cleaning. The kitchen looks *fab* now, and the urge to cry has stopped. :-D

Mere, I don't even want to think about strengthening exercizes right now. *cringe* :-)

Dy

Anonymous said...

I'm so proud of you for not crying!!! I had a crying jag for a little bit this morning after not being able to get the tv to play a DVD. From the midst of my sobbing I could hear in hushed tones "does she know we could play Steve on the computer", " I think so, wanna play Yahtzee". It was at this point I mustered all of my considerably lacking electronics skills and managed to force my will on the TV and we were able to watch Steve tell us about adding tens. Then I followed Smidges path had a nice vomit! Talk to you soon!
Erin

Jennie C. said...

I sure do know that "when it rains, it pours" feeling, Dy, and I'm loving you long distance.

Anonymous said...

Well, let's see; the trencher, the brakes and now the clutch. That is 3 so hopefully things will start looking up!!

Best wishes to you. I know how those days go.