Monday, October 8

The Wedding Cake

When several significant events happen in one fell swoop, I have a difficult time deciding how to blog them. Together? Separately? If so, then which one first? This was a busy, chaotic weekend, and there are several things to share. I've wrangled with how best to share them, and finally decided to begin with the frivolous and move on from there. This will, hopefully, allow me the opportunity to find the words to do the more serious subjects justice. I hope you'll understand.

And so, we have to begin the story with The Wedding Gremlin. This little critter is the reason they're so darned cute when they're little...

For two days, we commandeered Taryn's kitchen. We mixed and sloshed. We kneaded and plied. We made a fondant for the cake, and made dozens of rolled fondant flowers. We made gardenias, calla lilies, and stephanotis-ish-thingies. (The technical term, I believe, is "fantasy flowers".) We rolled, pressed, trimmed, shaped, and hogged the window unit to coax them to dry. By Friday night, the fridge was packed with flower bits and random stamen parts. It almost looked like we knew what we were doing. We went to bed that night, content in the knowledge that we had created lovely, edible flowers for the cake without wire, tape, or any pesky toxic inedible bits. Ahhh. Life was good, indeed.

Four o'clock Saturday morning, I awoke to the unsettling sensation that there was *plenty* of room in the bed. Ahhhh... where's EmBaby? I slipped from the bed to look for her. She hadn't fallen off (or at least she wasn't unconscious on the floor.) She wasn't in the bathroom. Oh, no! The bedroom door's open! I bolted into the kitchen and there, on the floor, beneath the table, sat the cutest little thing with her Little Cindy Lou Who Jammies and her big bright eyes, a rolling pin in one hand and the remnants of a lily in the other. She beamed up at me, her fuzzy hair radiating about her head in a very poor imitation of a halo, and said, "Mmm, YUM!"

Oh, it was a massacre. There were dead flowers all over the place. And worst of all, the groom's cake, a crawdad, had been maimed. She ate one of his eyes, twisted his little feelers, and poked holes in his head! Poor, gimpy crawdad.

I cleaned up the mess, salvaged the flowers that hadn't made it onto the floor yet, and brought the little Wedding Gremlin back to bed. I wish I'd taken a picture. If I hadn't been fighting a massive eye twitch, I might have thought to do that. Zorak did get a picture of the little Wedding Gremlin's next escapade, though. So, here you go. If you're having a wedding, and you see one of these things, BEWARE! They will eat everything decorative and/or sugary that they can get their hands on!

Of course, the week of the wedding was warm and humid. While that made for lovely swimming weather, it wasn't so great for the icing plans. The fondant gave me fits. Due to extenuating circumstances, we'd lost about four hours of work time Saturday, which left us having to send John (the ring bearer) ahead with the family, while we stayed behind to finish the cake. Final decision -- buttercream the 12" layer, because this fondant is NOT going to happen on that layer. Oh, folks, I wanted to cry. Wait. I did cry. Not for long, though, since we didn't have time to waste.

We finished the cake. We got it to the reception hall at the Very Last Minute. It wasn't exactly what we were shooting for, but all things considered, everyone was pleased. Er, at least kind. Heh. (Have I mentioned how Very Much I love our family?) And here you have it:


The happy couple did the requisite duties and cut the cake. (He spared her lovely gown, though, which, I think, made every woman in the room breathe a sigh of relief.)

We may never be asked to make another cake for a family event. But we're still up for childwatching duties, so that's good.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

13 comments:

andie said...

Gorgeous! Cake, bride, groom...and gremlin :)

Her hair has grown!

Bob and Claire said...

Oh, Dy! What a story! What a little girl! LOL, I can so imagine it all, without even trying very hard! : ) You guys are real troopers, and frankly I think the cake still looks really nice. I think the buttercream decision was the best one you could have made (and if I had been there, I would have asked for a piece of that, since I'm not a fan of the taste of fondant, LOL). Can't wait to hear about the rest of the excitement.

Teressa said...

That is a great cake...especially considering!!! I have done cakes... so I know your pain in the loss of those flowers, thanks for sharing!

tess

Dy said...

Oh, Claire, this isn't regular fondant. This is a marshmallow fondant. It's like... it's like... oh, I don't know what it's like, but it's good! I was afraid to use the Wilton pre-made fondant b/c I'd heard so many bad things about the taste, and I didn't want to have to use almond flavoring with a carrot cake to cover the taste. LOL. But this stuff - marshmallows and sugar. What's not to love, eh? ;-)

She has grown, Andie. And she has a couple of longer hairs, now. They stick out, Gallagher style on the sides of her head. She makes me smile, even when she's covered with powdered sugar. And isn't the bride lovely? She's really a wonderful young woman, and we're thankful to be a part of their life as they start out together. It's very much an honor, and we hope to do well by them over the years.

OK, I'm off to clean a little more. :-)

Dy

mere said...

I have seen that exact same look on Sarah Jane's face! Hilarious story, and I think the cake is beautiful, fondant or no fondant!

mere

Jenni said...

I think the cake turned out fabulous, but that baby is just too cute--even if she made my whole body twitch. My kids and husband all know now to stay the heck out of the kitchen whenever I'm making a cake. I am a nervous wreck until the thing is delivered and set up.

Spinneretta said...

Gremlins don't just attack wedding cakes you know... ;)
Oh well, I have to say *I* think the cake looks great... and I am sure there were people who preferred buttercream ANYWAY (despite the yummy marshmallow stuff which I might try for Christmas ;))

The Classical Circus said...

It looks great! And that is one stinkin' cute gremlin.

Meliss said...

First of all, great job on the cake! The surviving flowers are lovely. You are a woman of many talents, Dy.

Secondly, I'm impressed that you only had an eye twitch. I think my head would have exploded! It is a good thing that EmBaby is so cute!!!

Rebel said...

What a cute gremlin! I can't believe she got out of bed to eat wedding cake flowers. Me, yes...a toddler though, no. She's starting that sugar addiction early.

Emily said...

Oh my goodness!! That is one cute gremlin!! You are such a good mom for just taking everything in stride! Not sure if I would have handled that situation with such coolness :)

The cake is beautiful!!

melissa said...

Beautiful baby! Beautiful cake! (Bride and groom too)

I have no time to catch up! ACK! But I do have you on my TO CALL list, and I did actually post some pics tonight about what's been going on around here lately.( I have Jack's coach to thank for that hour.)
Talk to you soon, girl.

J-Lynn said...

ROFL you didn't tell me about the gremlin part on the phone! She is SOOOOO darn cute! She does have that gremlin grin down pretty good though - too funny!