Thursday, October 25

Late Night Recap

Zorak brought me a small creamer to tide me over until tomorrow's grocery run. Is that love, or what?

The boys get to go to the dentist tomorrow. Seriously, they're psyched about it. Smidge and John both want to make sure they get up early enough to spike their hair (it finally came out that this desire to have 'pikey hair, as Smidge calls it, comes from Dr. B, who does, in fact, have very 'pikey hair). Smidge also informed me while we flossed that he's considering dentistry, rather than engineering. What the older two will do with their plans for a wholly sibling-run engineering firm, I don't know. Perhaps they can contract with him for employee dental care?

Truthfully, I don't get it, but I am not. saying. a word. Know what I mean? If a dentist can inspire this kind of confidence and admiration in children who've been under his drill, then there's got to be something to it, I think. Plus, all the work he's done has actually stayed done. I have no problem coughing up the money for the cool surf-board-style chairs when the work is done well. AND (as if we need more reasons?), his office staff is stellar about scheduling as many children as possible all in one block. That can't be easy for them, to have us loitering there for hours on end, but it's a significant help to me not to make the 45 min. drive more often than absolutely necessary, or have to stay in town for several hours between appointments. So, off we go in the morning, and hopefully their teeth haven't gotten worse since the last check up. *fingers crossed*

In honor of the chilly weather, and the fact that the children spent the day wearing their blankets like sarapes, we brought up the winter clothes tonight. Looks like Smidge and Em are set. Still not sure on John. He's at such a strange point with his growth. Anything from a 6 to a 10 might fit, but you'll just have to try it to know for sure. And James is going to have to come shopping with me tomorrow afternoon. There's just no two ways about it. Thankfully, he has shoes, so I won't be faced with the same emotional trauma Mere experienced the other day. I can happily plug my ears and sing to myself and not look at the size tags. (I'm thinking a similar approach may come in handy when he shows an interest in girls, too. Sort of a self-preservation Tourette's. Every time he mentions a girl-who-is-just-a-friend, I can shriek loudly and start humming to myself. I'll let ya'll know how that pans out.)

The Week of the One Vehicle Family may soon be at an end. Let us all pause while I sigh in relief. It's not that we go anywhere, really, or that we've gone without at all (Zorak calls on his way home everyday to see if we need something). It's just that I've spent the week with one heck of an eye twitch, regularly threatening the children with bodily harm if they so much as come close to needing a trip to the ER while Zorak's at work. Yes, I see the irony in that. Thankfully, only the older two get it. The smaller ones, who are most likely to need a trip to the ER (also ironic), are completely convinced that it's a legitimate argument. The two who get it know I'm joking. Mostly. But they've been Very Careful this week, and I appreciate it.

And that's about it. I'd better get some sleep, or I fear I'll curl up on a dentist's chair and crash while the boys are getting their checkups!

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

7 comments:

Staci Eastin said...

A good dentist is worth a lot.

Winter clothes? My oldest has one pair of long pants that fit. I'm trying to convince myself that that will work so I don't have to go shopping.

mere said...

DH and I were discussing Jakes shoes and need for new duds the other day and he casually mentioned that he started shaving when he was twelve. TWELVE!!!??? I asked if it was because he was so excited to be shaving that he got all lathered up for those two little whiskers and he said no, it was very obvious that he needed to shave. That he probably started sprout little whiskers when he was about ten and a half. Jake will be ten in March. I am feeling a little faint!

Yay for two cars...I know what you mean about being extra cautious when you have no way to get anywhere.

Have fun at the dentist, I hope all goes well with the visit.

mere

Jenni said...

Isn't it wonderful to finally find a dentist, doctor, or chiropractor you love? We just love our dentist, too, but I don't think any of the kids want to grow up to be just like him, LOL.

I'll tell ya, that shrieking and humming thing doesn't work so well. The kids just tell their friends I'm not quite right in the head;o)

Dy said...

Jenni, what? There's not some kind of familial compact that prevents them from letting out that kind on inside knowledge? ACK. I'm doomed.

Mere, I'm starting to wonder about you. You're trying to give me an eye twitch, aren't you? Hair? At ten and a half? Shaving? What? NO!! I never thought I'd say this, but I MISS BARNEY! At least I know you'll get there first, so you can hold my hand while *I* have the nervous breakdown. Right? (Pretty please?)

Staci, that's exactly why James must go with me. I'm pretty lenient on retreading clothing (I encourage it, actually), but I don't think he can get by with one pair for the whole winter. Too bad you don't live closer. We could go ignore them together.

Dy

mere said...

I miss Barney, too. *sniff*

One of Jake's funniest quips came about during his potty training days and related to Barney. One day he very thoughtfully said,"Ya know, Barney must have a really big potty."

I miss those days. But I look forward to watching him fill in and fill out. And yes I'll hold your hand and remind you to breathe deeply when James starts shaving.

Rebel said...

I already had the "my baby is a young man" nervous breakdown. Unfortunately, it didn't change the fact that he is still growing up. I can't believe it, but I actually had to tell him that he needed to shave. I didn't want to...but the other option was my baby with a beard and moustache. If I need to hyperventilate, all I have to do is remember that he'll be driving in a YEAR AND A HALF!

On the plus side however, young men are really nice to have around. He can be reasoned with, mostly. He's great for heavy lifting and opening jars. I can have really deep discussions with him about a variety of things. It's exciting to help him plan his future. There will hopefully be granbabies in 10 or 15 years.

mere said...

Pant, pant, Granbabies????!!!!

Somebody give me a paper bag!