Friday, October 26

Friday!

Some people will be posting Fine Art Friday. Not me. I don't think we even have a working Etch-A-Sketch anymore. But that's okay. It's still Friday. WOOHOO!

The boys last night wanted to know when we were going to decorate for Halloween. Huh? Decorate for Halloween? What do you mean? Didn't ya see the cobwebs over the porch door frame? The spiders in the windows? If that isn't Authentic Halloween Decor, I don't know what is! John got all misty-eyed, and said, "I miss Maryland." (OH! Yeah. Miss Erin, our wonderful neighbor there, has this hideous ability to do crafty things for holidays. And I could take advantage of going down there to drink her coffee and let my kids do crafty things on her back porch rather than on our white carpet. It seemed so easy at the time. I forgot. I'll have to have a talk with her about setting the bar way too high on this issue.)

Honestly, I can't believe they don't know by now that I'm Really Bad At That Stuff. I don't decorate for anything but Christmas, and that has to be done surrepetitiously because Zorak doesn't decorate for Christmas without wifely bribes and a blood oath that I'll keep the radio off the Christmas Music Station. So, truthfully, I think they knew what they were doing in suggesting this activity. Great, holiday mafia. Perhaps they'll work for Hallmark one day.

So. Because I am a softie, I'm hoping I can just break out the window markers and craft paper and let them design their own window decorations. We don't have white carpet in this house, so I don't care what they do on the floors! (Yes, decorator choices via lifestyle weaknesses. It's all the rage among, well, parents.)

At least they'll have costumes. Mostly. Maybe. EmBaby will be a lion. (The same lion Smidge was our first Halloween here in AL. I cannot believe she's that big, already.) Smidge, who, for the past *year*, has wanted to be a pirate, saw the snake costume last night and decided on the spot that there's nothing more he'd like to be than a 'nake. *sniff* That was John's costume. Er, when he was two... I'm not sure it'll fit, but we'll give it a shot. John's costume seemed so easy, particularly since we have Zorak's graduation robe to alter into a Hogwart's robe. But I'm having trouble locating it, now. And the glasses? The wand? A tie? How can something so popular be so difficult to shop for? I don't get it. And then there is James. Superman "for the third year running" - it's more of an internal competition for him, I think. Seemed easy enough. However, there is not, it seems, a Superman costume in size 10, anywhere in Madison county. We'll try Morgan county today. I asked James what his backup plan was, and he said, "Oh. Well, my backup plan is to ask you to make one." Heh. Yeah. Not when we've been gone this much, and we're 24 hours out from the party. No. Keep brainstorming, kiddo. Perhaps you can go as The Neglected Child.

I don't really need a housekeeper, or a laundress. Not even a cook. What I really, desperately need is a Holiday Nanny. Somebody to come swooping in about three weeks before each major holiday and whip us into shape. Then go. Leave. I'm not equipped to handle that much extra laundry and clean-up duty year-round.

But since we don't have that, we'll make do. And it'll be okay. (But Erin, if you get a box with air holes in it, open immediately. It'll have holiday-deprived children in it!)

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

10 comments:

Spinneretta said...

Mine want to be spy vs spy from MAD TV. I had to talk M'Lady out of wanting to be the white spy since Rebel already claimed it ;)

Kathy Jo DeVore said...

LMAO I am so with you here. :) Frankly, though, I'm so disappointed that Em is not going as Dobby. If I were creative enough to figure out how to make it look right AND keep the child warm (this being Illinois and tea towels being not so weather proof), I would so use that for Eli.

Melora said...

They will be darling! I love James's confidence. Travis used Ed's reading glasses for his most recent HP costume -- any chance that either you or Zorak have reading glasses yet? I'm looking forward to seeing a picture!

Anonymous said...

I wonder if mailing kids in the USPS is illegal like mailing firearms and explosives is...

Staci Eastin said...

Heh. I'm making a Hogwart's robe as we speak. And knitting a Griffyndor (sp?) scarf. It seems there's not a Hermione costume in the county.

Becca said...

If you find a holiday nanny, can I borrow her? My kids are still asking when we can decorate for Halloween, and now that it's just a few days away, it so doesn't seem worth the bother. I PUT a dang pumpkin on the porch already--can't that be good enough?

momanna98 said...

I could use one of those holiday Nannys myself!

H said...

When I was in college, I asked my elementary-aged siblings to make some Halloween decorations for my dorm room.

We had construction-paper faces, and black spiders. They did that paper-cutting thing where you cut a piece of paper in a certain way and you can open it up big enough to walk through. (From Mr. Wizard.) We had pictures of what they thought were really scary things.

They had the best time coming up with how to decorate, and we were thrilled with our room. Maybe your boys could do something along these lines. Then they get to be crafty and decorate, but it's completely self-directed. :)

Before I forget, how was your last water bill? :)

crystal said...

I'm with you Dy. I don't know when it happened but this crafty mama just gave up on decor. I hate it. It's a plot to get me to spend a ton of money I think!
I too find myself being very curious about your last water bill! How's that coming along?

Jenni said...

I usually go all out decorating for fall. It's my favorite season, after all. This year I've just dropped the ball. (I'm sorry. I couldn't help it after I noticed the first two lines rhymed.)

We spent a ridiculous amount on just three pumpkins, a handful of gourds, and admission to the pumpkin patch this year. I don't ever remember it costing so much. I didn't buy anything else and I haven't even pulled the old decorations out of the attic. I just feel so lazy and uninspired this time around. I usually love this stuff, but this year I'm like, eh, get it over with and get past Christmas, too. I need a big dose of holiday cheer and my own personal Martha Stewart task master to whip me into shape.

Maybe I'll post about Danny's Superman costume his mom had him wear and that will inspire you for James'. I hope John is feeling better and y'all get to the appointment okay.