Wednesday, June 29

Don't Blog With Your Mouth Full

Sometimes when I sit down to blog, it flows - it moves like cream swirls in coffee. (Which, to me, is a beautiful, beautiful thing.) It's good. Sometimes, however, it's like trying to communicate with an angry toddler. The words are there, but the meaning comes across only after great analysis. There's no flow, but more of a sobbing, hiccough-y blech.

I think I have figured out the problem, at least the problem for me. I've been trying to blog too early in the evening. The boys are in their room, listening to Zorak spin gypsy tales, and I've just switched out laundry, tidied the kitchen, read up on tractors and am sucking down coffee, still chewing on my day. You can't talk with your mouth full. You can't really share the highlights of the meal while you're still gnawing on the bone.

But lately, that's exactly what I've been doing. In an effort to get to the computer before Zorak gets sucked into the abyss that is steel buildings online, I hop on and start talking with my mouth full, spewing chunks of day all over the monitor.

But now, it's quiet. Zorak is in the garage, not looming over my shoulder asking me to look up concrete specs. The boys have been blissfully quiet for a couple of hours, and I have had a chance to digest a little of our day. It was far better than it sounded right after supper. Come with me, if you will, for an after dinner highlight:

Dessert:
Smidge's deep and abiding belief that the library book must go outside with him came from his newfound love of books. He hasn't been without one since we returned home. It's not just to eat the pages, or throw, or thwap people on the head, but to touch, talk to, and turn the pages one at a time, pointing out the interesting things that we who can read no longer notice. Couple that with his need to be in close proximity to his brothers - who were both outside - and that was one heckuva frustrating situation for the little guy. I'm still not letting the book outside, but a little perspective does help.

Coffee:
Today I pulled off one of my wifely fantasies: I had supper ready to serve within five minutes after Zorak came home. This isn't one of his fantasies. He's just happy to know I actually hit the planning stage before he got home. But today, I needed to do my job right. He called a little after one to say he finally had a break and was coming home for lunch. He called again, three hours later, to let me know his boss had asked him to go to a meeting and he'd been in that all afternoon. He said he was going to work for another half hour and then head home. He came home two hours later. I figured he would be ravenous, so I had goulash and tortillas ready to go, a beer chilled in ice, fresh coffee, and the a/c cranked. Today couldn't have been easy on him, but I figured coming home should be. That felt good all the way around. Someday I'll get the hang of this job. I'm thankful he puts up with my steep learning curve and splotchy performance in the meantime! :-)

Those pastel minty sugar things that make your mouth hurt if you eat too many:
The intuitive reader award goes to Hornblower and Jo, as a tie, for spotting the age-old symptom of which I've been suffering. We wanted to wait until after the wedding, and the trip, but yes, we're expecting WeeOne#4! And I can't tell you how difficult it was to blog about the past few weeks without blurting that out to everyone! "I'm not lazy, I'm pregnant! I'm not anemic - I'm making blood!" So there you have it, the reason I've been sleeping in the laundry piles lately.

Anyhow, I'm off to try that Yahoo album invite thing again and edit more pictures. Y'all have a GREAT Thursday (I cannot believe it's Thursday already! This is just wrong, wrong, wrong, but boy am I glad we homeschool year round!)

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

9 comments:

Laney said...

Well I said congrats on WTM but I will officially say it here. Congratulations!!!!!! (Did I use too many exclamation points, LOL!!!)

I totally get the "learning curve." Thankfully Kevin is the same way! He is so easy to please, he is just happy that the house is still standing at the end of the day.

Sleeping in the laundry piles...ROFL!

Kim said...

Aw, Dy, I wish I could reach right through my computer screen and give you a big hug!!

Congratulations. You are in my prayers.

I have a good time to blog, too. I have to blog in the early morning, or in late afternoon.

L said...

Yay for you!

This means I can now work in my favorite typo ever from a writing curriculum: Of course you're tired, you're "running the gamete." :)

Enjoy those naps. Yay!!

hornblower said...

Great news!!

J-Lynn said...

WooooooHoooooooo I don't have to worry about slipping anymore! ;-) You are such a follower Dy ;-), you just want to listen to me go through labor on the phone again 3 weeks before you do don't you? LOL

That is SO cute about smidge with the book. And WoooHooo@you with getting Zoraks dinner ready! At this point of the pregnancy Geo just hopes for a clear path to the bathroom...lol

Hugs and an official in print CONGRATULATIONS to you!

Marla said...

DY,

YIPPEE! I'm sure we could both be found curled up somewhere and snoozing. I'm in the second trimester but still tired a lot more often than I thought I'd be. Maybe its my age?! Congratulations and I'll be praying for you!

Linda said...

DY!!!! I am rejoicing with you over God's blessing!!! What exciting news!!!

I love how you showed remarkable self-restraint by spilling the beans at the end of the post. I don't think I could have done that! :-)

Jumping for joy!!!!

Staci Eastin said...

Oh, yay, yay, yay.

Congratulations!!!!

I can't believe I missed it on TWTM boards!

Barbara said...

Congratulations!! How wonderful!