Wednesday, June 1

Back to Education

KathyJo had a wonderful post about Pride, Math, and the things we overlook in homeschooling. I can't recreate her wonderful thoughts as well, so go read that, and then you can finish reading here, while I go *rah-rah-rah* and cheer her on.

What I loved about KathyJo's post is that it touches on the most important (in my not so humble opinion), and most often glossed-over, aspect of teaching at a child's pace:
your child's pace isn't always going to graph on an upward curve; teaching to a child's pace includes taking the time to "hover" or "meander" to give him time to absorb and reach new levels in other developmental areas.
Plateaus are normal, and healthy, and we should take the time to hang out on them when they come - there's a lot to explore on each plateau.

A prime example from our home was the MUS "+9's". James had flown through the first few chapters of Foundations. He had the concepts. He had the facts. He could do the word problems. He made up his own word problems. We were cruisin' right along... until we hit the addition facts, +9.

He hit a *WALL*

Or rather, he hit a hurdle he wasn't ready to scale or leap yet. It wasn't a learning wall; it was a cognitive developmental leap he needed to make. At first, I panicked. "OH! I'm PUSHING HIM and this is what happens!" Then I moved on to, "He will NEVER get this!" Finally, the small bulb clicked on and I realized he wasn't cognitively ready to understand the associations MUS makes when teaching +9.

So we hovered. For four. long. months. We played with math and fiddled around with things he was ready to grasp, but our actual math curriculum sat on the shelf gathering dust and spider bits. We sang math songs, reviewed what we knew, and made more silly word problems. But we did not push that particular content. One day, in the car, a wee voice piped up and said, "Hey Mom, did you know that nine plus three is the same as ten plus two?" Eureka! The quiet synapse had fired and he was ready to pick up and move on again.

We're firm believers in hovering, and when the opportunity arises, we try not to think about what we might fall behind in, or what that would do to a beautifully filled-in lessonplan book. That isn't what homeschooling is about, is it? In the end, our children are often better served by the process of learning than they are by learning a process. Again, truly individualized education, achieving truly individualized goals, in a splendidly individualized manner lie as the foundation of home education. It's something we tout, something we love, and ironically, also something we forget from time to time.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

5 comments:

Kim said...

Great post, Dy! I'm so happy to see you "back!"

We have hit the pre-algebra wall. My Patrick is finishing MUS Advanced, and he is really not happy with idea of "x." He's so cautious and uncertain whereas before he ripped along. I bought the new editions of MUS this spring, and next year, I'm happy to see he will get lots of review, so hopefully, we can "hover" with as much success as you did!

Happy Birthday to your wonderful hubby!

Amy said...

I enjoyed this post, Dy.

I am just starting to learn about holding and waiting by dd. In her case it is reading right now.But it has been so many other things and I have never "gotten it" until recently. For dd I have figured out if it is material that stretches her a little, she has to internalize and analyze the material herself. So we may go over something one day, I can tell that she doesn't really grasp it but I just let it alone for awhile. A few days, a week or even two down the road she will pipe up out of nowhere with understanding with what I was trying to teach her so many days ago.Often taking me by surprise and I am stuck racking my brain trying to figure out what she is referencing :). She just had to put it together in her own mind first.

So it is reading right now. We have learned letter sounds and gone over some of the rules. She can read (agonizingly slowly) and recognize quite a few sight words. She is not enjoying it and as the books have gotten harder she started pushing back. And I just let go of it for awhile. I can see the little brain working, putting what she knows in some order while I read to her and that is good enough for me right now.

Amy in Apex

melissa said...

Great post. With kids ages 13, 11, and 7, I am absolutely convinced that this is the KEY to a great early childhood education. I feel REALLY strongly about this.I think that it is one of the things that produces a confident learner( and one of things that I wish I'd known sooner).
I am finding that as they mature, and reach the older years, they begin to thrive on having those boundaries pushed a little....being a little "uncomfortable" while trying to reach something that they thought they couldn't do.
( Not that it's all teen smiles getting there ;-))
Dy, you are way ahead of the game figuring this out while your kids are still peeps! Good Job!!!!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful post, Dy. Thank you for referencing KathyJo as well. I gleaned a lot from her post about math. We have been going back and forth about math, as you know. This has been a tough decision for me. I want to make sure that each child will grow and thrive on whatever program we decide to use. Aryana is asking to try MUS. I may be making that purchase but we've agreed to finish what we have already first.

Again, thank you for posting that. I think it was something I needed to hear. Great advice!

Blessings!

hornblower said...

YES! Thanks for writing about this.
I know this & yet still get sucked into worrying about why we aren't progressing in a logical, steady, WTM fashion.

Child development (heck, adult development) isn't linear. It jumps, falls, plateaus based on so many different factors....

Great post.