Sunday, June 12

Decisions, Decisions...

We looked at a property today that captured my imagination. It's a close run against the previously mentioned property (if we could get that one without the house) - similar in size, similar in features, similar in price. There are a few things that tip the scales heavily in its favor: it has creeks on two borders, a spring, and a non-nasty pond; James didn't explode - and we walked the entire thing; it's prettier. OK, so that last one is relatively subjective and not necessarily true for Zorak. But, oh, that was fun!

I think a big part of our utter indecision is that we aren't used to having options. Seriously. We used to dream of buying a badly damaged repo in a mildly dangerous neighborhood. That was dreaming BIG, baby! Well, if not "big", at least "realistic". And we did try to ebb away from the danger-factor. Now, here we are, wondering where we want to live until we die, to leave for generations, and how we can make it produce benefits for society and for ourselves. Ooooooo. That's a titilating sensation. Evidently, titilation also takes the edge off. Hence, we sit here and oooh and ahhh and can't commit.

And at that point, my parallels begin to go awry and converge in potentially embarrassing ways...

So on to the boys!

The boys found a turtle, many tree frogs, a toad, and myriad other critters while we walked the property today. James and John concurred that this is one neat property! It's a universal fact: critters capture little boys' imaginations.

John took his homemade whip on the property walk with us, to protect me from wild animals. Unfortunately, this consisted mainly of walking directly in front of me. It was like trying to hike with a 50-pound housecat, and I nearly took a header down the mountain several times for all the weaving and sudden stops he performed. True to his word, however, we did make it back to the Suburban safe from wild animals. He's a good cat-like bodyguard.

The tick head is still stuck in James' neck, but there's no swelling or rash. He says his neck feels "completely normal". Dr. Deb said his body will either force it out or absorb it. (Ew.) So far, so good.

Amy (rightly) laughs at me for my tick-related issues and their eminence in the lifestyle we're pursuing. I know. It's goofy. But ya know, when we dreamed of having a ranch, well, first off it was always located where people had ranches, not farms. The high desert plains, where you can live for a week out there and nary a tick will you see. We've stayed in the woods, slept in the grasses, went so long without showering that the goats avoided us... and still never had so much as the threat of a tick infestation. The West is a magical place.

Actually, though, if you saw me when we pulled the first tick off Jacob back in '03 (there was a lot of shrieking and limp-wristed hand flailing on my part), and could see my tick-deadly proficiency in performing a tick check today (it makes the lice check from the school nurse seem slow and awkward), you'd be proud. I only cringe on the inside now. And when the boys do have a tick, I don't squeak aloud anymore. Daily tick checks are normal when we've been out in the boonies, as they will be when we have our farm. But... on a HOUSE DOG? Oh, for Pete's sake, get a tick collar and call it good! That thing sits on your LAP! It climbs on your BED! Ewwww. A thousand times, EW.

Zorak is sitting here, drawing plans for the live-in barn, and all I can think is, "Wow, this is my favorite grown up in the world!" I'll scan the sketches when he's done. They're neat, and he's fun to watch. He's amazing. I hope the boys inherited his ability to see and make it so. He's also funny. So not only does he inspire me, but he makes me laugh, too. Our adventures seldom go as planned, but we have such fun planning them, and then adjusting to their realities. It's been a wild ride so far, but I can't think of a better way to live this life. Yes, I think I'm going to like building a house with this man and our boys.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

8 comments:

melissa said...

Great post, Dy. Seriously, you are amazing. You are very encouraging to me.

I think that the west MUST be a magical place. No humidity, no ticks? Man, why did y'all leave that utopia ??

J-Lynn said...

50lb housecat? ROFLMBO!!!

That place sounds like heaven on Earth, and a good possibility for the commune. ;-)

Just imagine yourself and Zorak on rockers on the front porch, watching your great grandkids playing cowboys and indians around the garden and horse corral, sipping suntea. ;-)

I think it's perfect.

Stephanie not in TX said...

Oh Dy, that sounds wonderful. And I don't blame you ONE TINY BIT for your reaction to picking up tick puppy. Eww.

We want to do the same: find land, build a house. In our case, though, we're not even looking yet. We've moved around so much that we can't conceive of a "forever house" yet. When I think "forever," I don't want it to be in Texas. But we don't know where the heck else it would be.

I look forward to seeing the scans.

Amy said...

That place sounds perfect! Glad to hear that you're becoming more comfortable with tick patrol. Hey, at least they don't have Hanta (sp?) virus in Alabama, right?

hornblower said...

Wow, sounds like a great property.
Knowing diddly squat about Alabama I went to http://www.touralabama.org/ cause I wanted to see some pictures. Looks like some gorgeous country there. So, which region of Alabama are you in?

Dy said...

Oh, Melissa - we do love it there, but we left because abject poverty didn't seem like such a great "long term plan", you know. Of course, compared to the quality of life we had in MD, we could've stayed in NM, moved into a burned hogan and just dealt with the ghosts, I suppose. But now that we know it was prep work for coming here... *grin*

Jess, there's a great spot for you, Geo and the kids, another one for Ben & Claudia and the boys... there's room for the commune! C'mon down! :-)

Steph, don't despair - we didn't exactly picture 'Bama when we thought "forever", either. LOL. I'll be thinking of you.

Amy - that's right! No Hanta! WOOHOO! That has a Willie-Factor right up there w/ ticks.

Hornblower, we're in Northern Al. Close enough that some properties we've looked at are in TN. It's pretty. But Zorak says I need to focus on the humidity and the ticks when I tell folks about it here. ;-)

Catherine - welcome! I'm glad you got a laugh, and thanks for stopping by on the front porch to say howdy.

~ Dy, who just remembered "Oh, yeah, it's ok to reply to comments in the comments." Yeah, I'm a little slow sometimes.

L said...

Yeah, options are great, to a point... Sometimes I envy the people with jobs that tell them: Move to this city and live in this neighborhood. :)

Guinea hens are supposed to be wonderful for tick control and are very independent.

http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/category/guineas.html

Thom said...

"50lb housecat"--too funny!

The West:a place with no ticks and no humidity. That's beyond my ability to even comprehend. Of course I can see where the whole abject poverty thing might influence one's desire to live there.

But still...

LOL!;0)