Monday, June 6

Activity Books for Summer & The Land Squall

In an attempt to free up my attention during services so that I can keep Zorak awake, I've made activity books for the boys to use during church. They aren't anything fancy, just two 8.5x11 sheets of paper, laid out in landscape orientation and folded in half to make an 8-page booklet. Each page has a different activity centered around their Sunday School themes, memory verses, and learning to follow the service. They seem to have worked, allowing the boys to be still and me to keep Zorak awake, and as a bonus, they've also been a big hit with the boys. I noticed that the boys retain the material quite well.... *click, whirrrrrr, ping!*

So, feeling a bit encouraged - as well as highly caffeinated - I kicked my mental hamster gear into overdrive (that was the ping) and started thinking about making daily activity booklets for summertime lessons. Hmmmm. Might work out nicely. Last summer, during the weeks of swim lessons, I did make a notebook for James to do his math and reading in while I was in the pool with John - it went over fairly well, but I think something a bit more pocket-sized might answer well. Last year's notebook was your standard 3-ring binder, and it was a little bulky for poolside use for the little guy.

My premise at this point is that it would be wonderfully convenient and conducive to an active summer routine, as well as maintaining a year-round schedule (and possibly building a house), without sacrificing too much in the way of progress in the core areas. (I don't ask for much, do I?)

So here's my academic concept car:

Pg 1 (Front page):
The day's memory work and writing practice.

Pg 2 (Inside cover):
Math - reviews, questions, games

Pg 3:
History stuff, tailored to fit each boy. Matching games, coloring pages, craft (would include a ziplock baggie w/ the necessary items for the craft in that day's booklet)

Pg 4:
Latin for James, since he can read it - Probably reading practice for John on this page (?)

Pg 5:
Poetry for the day, with a space to draw.

Pg 6:
Science - classifications, observations, etc. (I'm bone dry on this page, truthfully- groping for ideas.)

Pg 7:
Some random fun activity, probably tied in with what we're doing or what seems to have caught the boys' attention that that point.

Pg 8:
Word games - word search, cryptograms, whatever comes up and looks like fun.

In looking back over that, I think John could do fine with just a four-page booklet, but I'd hate to cut a history craft or a poem from it. Math and writing aren't negotiable. And, as you can see, creativity isn't my strong suit. Not to mention, this does veer terrifyingly close to the void I call Unit Studies (it's a void because of the black, formless depth that is my creativity - it's all connected here.)

Granted, this in no way replaces the time we spend reading, walking, talking, observing, and setting things on fire. Some things just can't be replaced. ;-) I'm thinking (and yes, it's purely theoretical) that the boys would get a kick out of having their own "special" activity books. I think it also will allow us to keep things fresh while we're on the go. Plus, in the 8.5x5.5 format, the booklets will fit easily into the boys backpacks with a small pack of crayons, pencils, water bottles and snacks. So, hey: less for me to carry! WOOHOO! (OK, that last bit was an unexpected bonus that hit me as I typed, but I'll take it.)

Other than that, today was just a neat little ol' day. We drove north a bit to swim with friends... but we drove through a series of what I can only describe as land-based SQUALLS. When I wasn't wishing for a rudder to steer the suburban through the waves, or waiting for dead squid to be slapped against the windshield, I was thinking, "Oh, please, PLEASE let this last long enough to bring the temperature down!" I've been hot 'n sticky for 72 hours, and was getting desperate. Desperate enough that I didn't run through the squall when I stopped to confirm our position with the local corner store - nope, I hunkered down to keep everything from blowin' away, but that cool, fast rain felt so. good. Ahhhh. I ambled. And the clerks inside probably wondered if I'd been drinkin' - but they gave me directions, anyway. Bless them.

We made it to the friends' house - the boys had disappeared upstairs before I had Smidge unbuckled - the Mom and I had a nice chat, in complete sentences, for quite a while. Then it was time to come home. A wonderful day. A wonderful start to the week. And hey, it's only Monday! That means there's more to come!

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

7 comments:

Amy said...

Dy,

That is such a cool idea. I am just wondering how much time does it take to pull something like that together?

Amy in Apex

Sheila said...

Cool idea. I have the creativity. I just wish I had the stamina to see it through. I can think of some science stuff for you though. Give me a day or two.

Don't you love the weather? GA is the same: pop-up monsoons then right back to hot and sticky. And the *real* heat hasn't even begun yet. The July lightening storms are spectacular though.

J-Lynn said...

What a fun day and a great idea with the workbooks!

The Crib Chick said...

Dy, I've made a horrible discovery; I turn into a sweaty, snarling witch in humidity.

I have no clue how folks in bygone days coped, nor do I fathom how people have lived in the steamy South all of their lives. The only consolation is the beach. I can be cool at the beach. If I'm walking around in the process of air-drying, then I'm okay.

I know you probably don't have a beach anywhere close, so as one Southwest Girl to another, you have my utmost sympathy.

And it doesn't have to even be HOT to be MUGGY! What is WITH that?!?! That feeling of being pulled into the ground, that muggy gravity...I don't know. Maybe it's something that one...gets used to? (Offered in a hopefully encouraging tone) Let's not even get started on what the humidity does to one's *hair*...:o(

((Hugs)) and air-conditioned good wishes.

knitcroweave said...

I like your idea booklet. Are you writing it out and printing it? How exactly do you fold it? It sounds workable for my children for this summer as we work on our house.

Amy said...

Good idea, Dy. I think for science, you could definitely get crazy, but if it's just a summer thing, I would simply use it as a spot for nature journaling. Draw what you see, make notes on it, classify it, blah blah blah. The beauty of this idea? No prep work for you.

Now, if you build a house and do this longer term and this becomes your only science (which I can see because it would obviously slide before the basics) then you'd want to pull something more formal together. But for now I think it would make a great journal spot and a starting point for many rabbit trails.

Have fun!

L said...

If it weren't for our daily summer late afternoon thunderstorms, I don't know how I could stand it.

One good downpour just when you think you can't possibly take one more minute of oppressive heat... The sun disappears, the wind kicks up, the rain comes (and usually some pretty terrific lightning), and eventually the sky clears, looking weak and wrung out, just in time for a beautiful sunset. Ahhhhh.