Tuesday, October 12

Some things I've been chewing on today~

I don't care what's in your wallet, but What's on your bookshelves? I was chatting with Dee last night and we were talkin' books. (Shocker, huh?) In an attempt to be helpful with suggestions for new titles, I glanced at the bookshelf that sits beside our computer desk... Claculus, Advanced Calculus, Basic Technical Mathematics with Calculus, Introduction to Heat Transfer... mmm, I think Zorak took over this bookshelf! Good thing we have others. Hee hee.

***

It is a beautiful thing when a child learns to blow into a kleenex. This is a point often taken for granted. Remember this.

***

Forgiveness isn't about allowing someone to repeat a destructive pattern on you again and again. It's about not allowing bitterness to fester within your own heart and freeing that person up to make positive changes without fear of retribution. That doesn't mean you have to keep permitting someone to continually hurt you. Even forgiving yourself makes it easier to move on and fulfill your own journey better. I think it's easy to forget just how healing and strengthening forgiveness really is, and how important it is to bring it into our lives. It ranks right up there with laughter, I think.

***

Knitting is a lot harder than crocheting. There, I said it, pelt me with balls of yarn. (But make it balls of that soft, squishy, fluffy yarn, please!) I'm trying to knit a hat. It's a simple hat, and it's an easy hat, and I can't get past knitting the first row before I either forget where I am in the process, drop a stitch because I needed to move, or get mauled by a happy, snot-covered baby. Knitting does not survive this onslaught well. Crocheting, however, fares much better. It's more resilient with fewer moving parts.

Gram's lap blanket for reading on the porch is actually starting to look like something! WOOHOO! The babies, however, may remain hatless.

***

Jacob doesn't really have a mohawk. I am not sure what was up with his hair the day we took those pictures.

***

Kim, it was just a commuter train we took across the river. Zorak wants so badly to take a "real" train, complete with sleeper cars and dining car, as a family vacation someday. Personally, I'm waiting for AmTrak to be privatized before I do that. It may be a long, long wait. But what FUN!

Hey, if you're ever feeling adventurous, take the family to Mexico to ride the train through the beautiful Copper Canyon! It's bigger than the Grand Canyon, and you can get off anywhere en route to spend the night, do some hiking, relax and soak in the scenery. Zorak went with his family when he was a young lad and it's still one of his fondest memories. It's one of the big trips we plan to take when the boys are a little older.

***

be, Zorak made up the definition. I can clean a house in no time flat and read a story with all the character voices, but he's the one with the gift for the unusual and creative. I'll pass along the kudos. :-) Good to see you again!

***

Why does John always get some of whatever he's eating in his hair? I'm not sure how this happens. He smells like raisins now and his hair is the envy of Mallrats everywhere. Aquanet and egg whites couldn't get hair this stiff.

~Dy

4 comments:

Crissy said...

I can't tell you how much I needed to read your paragraph on forgiveness. I am really struggling with the idea these days.
I know I need to forgive, but I have this ugly thought in the back of my mind that forgiving means I am telling the person that the behavior was okay. My head knows that's not true, but my heart is afraid. I don't know if I can go through the same thing again.
Oh, but that bitterness. I don't want to live with that, either.
It really is a struggle.

As for my bookshelf, I am completely enjoying Who Killed Homer, and I'll be looking for the books you recommended when I go to the library this week. Thanks for the titles!

Crissy said...

Sorry, Dy. That first post was from me.

By the way, just how much experience do you have with egg whites and Aquanet?

Crissy

Kim said...

Dy, anyone who pelts you with balls of wool can pelt me too, because I think crocheting is easier than knitting, too. With crocheting, you only ever have to worry about one stitch; with knitting, it gets more complicated. I love to knit, and I can do it, but I am so impressed by ladies who finish what they start. I have a gorgeous striped wool pullover that is about one quarter of the way done. It was hubby's 40th birthday present...last March.

You're not alone in the Calculus and math book collection. I made my husband take them downstairs.

Staci Eastin said...

Knitting is a lot harder than crocheting. AMEN! Knitting is hard for me because it's hard for me to concentrate on the stitches and move the threads along on the needles at the same time. I've known how to knit for ages, but I learned how to crochet just recently. I SO wish I had learned a long time ago.

We have shelves full of computer programming books, courteousy of dh.