Wednesday, October 13

Eyore Days

I love Eyore Days. They are grey. They speak slowly, and even when something really exciting happens... it doesn't cause a ruckus. They are good days for stuffed animals and stories under sheet tents, and soup.

Which brings me to blogging. The boys are curled up under fuzzy blankets, watching Ned sing sailor songs - the lyrics to which make me cringe now that I'm sitting here actually listening to them - and anxiously awaiting the emergence of the Nautilus. I'm making potato soup for supper and will throw together a loaf of Bob's Red Mill Wheat Free/Gluten Free bread in a couple of hours. (It's really good for soups if you make it with an extra egg yolk! That gives it a thicker crust that's just perfect for sopping up the remains in the bowl.) Might add fresh veggies and dip to the menu. We've got cabbage, but I'm really wanting to eat that steamed w/ garlic butter, and I want to serve something light and cool along with the soup. It's a texture thing. Makes a meal more of a sculpture than a stick figure. I make enough stick figures elsewhere, but the meal table ought to be a masterpiece.

This brings me to Dr. Laura (notice the smooth transition phase I'm in today... like buttah!) I finished reading The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands. This book is a must read, even if you don't like Dr. Laura. Even if you think your marriage is just great, and especially if you think it's not about you (it's about him) and you'd read it only shortly after Hell froze over, read it. You don't have to like or agree with everything- just glean. Gleaning is good for you. Anyhow, this book is about remembering why you married your guy in the first place, then acting like it. It's about the honor, respect and dedication that marriage deserves. Zorak and I have a wonderful marriage (I checked with him before I spoke for him, too, *grin*) yet there were some really good tips, reminders, and general "I know this is a ways out there, but just keep an eye out for this... and this..." type items. Good stuff. Remember when I blogged about vigilance? It will always be crucial, and will always be an inherent part of our roles in tending to our families. Be vigilant. Slaying dragons is hard work.

While we're talking of books (couldn't think of a good dragon segue, sorry), we figured out the food-related recommendation for Eats, Shoots & Leaves!! It's a Flinstones vitamin! It's good for you, but you wouldn't know it from the yummy taste. It's chewable, and fun, too! So there ya go- take a vitamin and enjoy the book.

Enjoyment...

Fall...

AMY, Dying?! No. Not dying, changing. Morphing, if you will. You don't like Autumn in all it's "Yea! We aren't going to combust spontaneously in this heat" glory??? Silly Texan. Fall is wonderful! Things aren't dying, they are slowing down and preparing to refresh and rejuvenate. They are spending less time branching out and more time putting roots deeper into good soil. See, Good Soil. Coincidence? I think not. Come over, we'll bake and enjoy the weather. Maybe we could get Donna down here to get us to do crafty things. :-)

OK, soup needs tending, children need snuggling. I'm off. Thanks for the coffee break, y'all. Have a lovely evening!

Dy

4 comments:

Donna Boucher said...

I am so there!

I sure miss my quilting buddies from up North.
We have lived here three years and I have not been able to get a group of crafty/knitty friends together.

So I share with my blog-sistahs :o)

Kim said...

We had an Eyeore day here, too Dy. As I came home from the boys' piano lesson, it was cloudy and the leaves were swirling in front of my van as I drove home. Your dinner sounds wonderful. I wish I'd eaten dinner at your house instead of mine.

Amy said...

Now THAT would make me be happy about fall - especially if I could just watch Donna do the crafts while I eat the baked goods! (I really don't mind fall all that much, it's just that I MUCH prefer summer)

We had soup tonight, too. Mexican Tomato Lime.

Not so sure about Dr. Laura's book. I'll have to think on it. Maybe you could just share the high points here and save me from reading it?

Crissy said...

Please tell me about steaming cabbage. My mom gave me two heads that she had left over from a catering job and I have no idea what to do with them. My boys love their green veggies, but I worry that I'll destroy this one and they'll never want to try cabbage again.
Can you help a poor cruciferous challenged mom?

Crissy