Thursday, October 14

Just a Quick Coffee Break

Yes, yes! We love good Mexican food! I'll share the pico de gallo recipe if Amy w/ share her Mexican Tomato Lime soup recipe! Oohhh, good stuff. Our friends last weekend brought us can upon can of green chile products! It has been such a good week for food in our house. We've had green chile & cheese broiled on fresh bread, green chile smothered pork steaks, green chile straight from the can. Zorak and I even threw green chiles into our bowls of potato soup last night. The big treat this weekend is going to be a huge concoction of Aunt B's famous Green Chile Chicken Enchilada Casserole! *shudder of anticipation*

Had to smile at the Dr. Laura thing. I actually picked it up with the thought of previewing it in case I needed to recommend it to anyone (I hate recommending something I haven't read). Sadly, I had a very smug attitude that I certainly don't need it... but that's a false sense of accomplishment. I think we can all improve who and where we are, and how we are fulfilling and savoring our lives and duties. When things are good, though, it's easy to fall into complacency. (The the ultimate enemy of vigilance, no?) I forget that sometimes. We aren't struggling right now, and we aren't flat-broke anymore. We aren't stressed to the gills all the time, and aren't passing in the night amidst final exams and job interviews. It all feels so easy right now, and so good. Still, he deserves a wife who won't get complacent. I'd like for the mu-mu and bon-bons to always be a joke.

I'll see what I can do to distill the book, but not while we're all still sick. Zorak fell victim sometime during the night. He awoke this morning, called in sick, and went straight back to bed. He's still out. I think it's going to hit him hard. We'll let him sleep til noon, then wake him for food. He'll be back out shortly after that and will most likely sleep til after supper. That's how Zorak gets sick. He wobbles about for a week, fighting it off, and when it hits him, he's out cold for about 24 hours. Then he arises like the Phoenix, or more accurately, like a bear from hibernation: healthy, but famished. So we'll need to have food ready made and waiting. I like his method much better than my shuffling, snuffling, prolonged escapades, really. Someday I'll have to try it.

I had other thoughts, but that train has been delayed at the station. I just got mauled by a snotmonkey who needs some lovin's. Break time's over! Enjoy your wonderful Thursday. We're staying in one more day- the Spanish tutor called today to cancel. Seems her family was attacked by the creeping crud, too. (I think that's a misnomer, really- if it was just creeping, we could get a good distance from it and spray it with something to kill it, couldn't we? Hmpf. Needs a new name. Galloping Glob or Sneaking Snot... something.)

Anyhow, kiss those babies and give them extra lovin's (human contact and affection does wonders for the immune system- I shudder to think how sick we'd all be without our daily snuggles!)

~Dy

3 comments:

Linda said...

Sorry to hear about the sniffles! Dr. Linda's prescription: lots of zinc, vit c, echinacea, extra sleep and mexican food. Aren't green chiles anti-oxidants? Or is that wishful thinking?

We're starting a week long study of Mexico on Monday. Dh wants to know what we're cooking. So far I have grilled beef fajitas, chicken enchiladas, mexican rice, guacamole and lots and lots of tortilla chips. How do you say "yum" in Spanish?

Do you think Aunt B would share her famous recipe?

Linda

Stephanie not in TX said...

Sneaking Snot. Definitely.

You want I should dig up my recipe for a lower-fat chicken enchilada casserole? It's very, very yummy. Oh, I would be very happy with cans of green chile products, I would.

Ooh, I also make a dish of green chiles, onions, black beans, tuna, diced tomatoes and lime juice. Eat it with cornbread. Mmmmm.

Julie D. said...

Dy, I'm gonna have to post my favorite, no fuss, Chicken Tortilla Soup ... just so I can join in on the fiesta once you're feeling better. I can't wait to get some of these recipes!