Friday, October 15

Downright Giddy: Oxygen & Math

Wow, I feel somewhat light-headed. I can breathe today, and it feels really good. I mean good as in tipsy-good. Wow.

I have to tell y'all why I love Math-U-See!
Today James was reading the optical illusions book we gave him for his birthday. One section is about patterns and logic, and he just loves that section. (Must get it from his father.) He found a new puzzle today, figured it out quickly, and then wanted to recreate it on a larger scale. (The puzzle was a "complete the pattern" type. It looks like this: 2, 4, 3, 6, 5, ?) The next thing I know he says, "Mom, what is 129 times two?" He'd made it that far on the scale without needing help! Wow. So, there's one neat thing about MUS in itself.

However, the part that got me just silly-tickled was that I could explain to him not just HOW to multiply 129 by 2, but WHY you do it that way, as well. I could show him what he was actually doing with the numbers, and could explain it in a way that he grasped and ran with it. That's something I never got in school. I just knew that you shift to the left, carry, add what you've carried, etc. Just do it that way because that's how it works. Period. Not anymore! *hee hee!* SO, we spent a while "playing" with math and multiple digit multiplication, I made up questions and James solved them. I finally moved on to something else when I started a new one with "361" and James said, "Ooo, multiplied by 174!" ...then he solved it. *whew* Anyone want cookies? Anyone? I'm going to have to order the MUS Algebra for myself next year!

Gotta make a BJ's run when Zorak gets home. I love Fridays. Especially chilly, rainy Fridays like today.

OK, if everyone will get me their favorite Mexican food recipes, I'll put them on our static website if you'd like. We'll call it the Festival Classico, or something equally cheesy. By the way, don't forget to share your favorites with the folks at Peace Hill Press! That cookbook is ON MY WISH LIST, and I plan to be very, very good so I can get it. :-)

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

3 comments:

Linda said...

Thanks to you, I've finally decided to order MUS. I've been going back and forth on the math issue. We've been doing Singapore/Miquon but haven't been thrilled. Way to go, James!

Kim said...

I love MUS, too, Dy. Being bogged down with Saxon Algebra II has convinced me that I'm sticking with MUS algebra for my boys.

Hope your hubby is feeling better today!

Amy said...

Joining the MUS lovefest here. It is so great!

And a plug for those with preschoolers - get the MUS manipulatives now and let them play away. Peyton (just-turned 4)can put them together in just about any sum just from the playing she does while I have them out for Luke's lesson. I think she will sail through the addition facts because of it.