Monday, October 4

Breathe In... Breathe Out

Just me, havin' a "day" here. It's nearly ten-thirty, and here's how the day has gone by 9:30:

Jacob puked on me before we got out of bed.
James woke up sneezing and watery-eyed.
I gave him some Emergen'C, which he promptly set down.
Jacob saw that as a gloriously serendipitous opportunity to... dump the stuff in my boots. (That'll teach me to put them where they belong, huh!?)
Jacob began screaming - and didn't stop.
John slept late, and awoke with a horrible cough and phlegm. Also whiney.
We're out of eggs.
We're out of oats. (We're also out of jelly, so lunch isn't looking so hot right now, either.)
We're out of apple juice. (Don't know how that happened!)
John has been in tears four times today- not fits, just the helpless crying that he cannot stop. I think he got into some wheat.
James and I went rounds about his attitude (Where is the pencil? *it's in the family room,* NO, it's not, Mom. *James, yes, it is. Your pencils are in the pencil box on the craft shelf in the family room.* NO, they aren't! ARGH- so I went up and sure enough, if he'd bothered to open - the - box he'd have seen them, in all their yellow glory. But I know my Mother had a talent for finding things that were completely invisible to me, so that didn't get me. My issue w/ him this morning was his attitude.)
John wanted to say something, but wanted to take a million years to spit it out, speaking into his chest, and starting over every... single... time... he... got... four... words... starting... over... every... starting... yeah.
Jacob screaming in my left ear,
James clamoring for attention,
John starting over again.

ENOUGH, ALREADY!!!

SO-
I put Jacob down for a nap at 9:30 (he is currently drooling all over the couch- my best guess is that he's teething), set James up with his "Draw Insects" book, and snuggled John in with a tape on Ancient Greek myths, took some Rescue Remedy, and am waiting for it to kick in.

In the midst of all this, we've done Math and Reading, two loads of wash, made the bed, tidied the kitchen, and ran the dishwasher.

*sigh*

OK, I feel better.

Thanks for listening. Sometimes it's difficult to explain, but I think you ladies know what I'm saying. I'm definitely not angry at anyone or resentful of anything, just a tad bit overwhelmed by all that took place in a short two hours. I love our boys and love doing what I do- but even w/ the bestest job in the world, not every day is a Mary Poppins kind of day. :-) Days like this happen, and it's up to us how to approach them.

On the upside, it's only ten thirty, so there's time still to salvage it! I can feel the Rescue Remedy kicking in, James just brought me an amazing drawing of the Assassin Bug, John is on side two of the tape and seems to be a little more calm now. I'm off to have a puppet show and do a little mock bull jumping! Then, provided Jacob arises from his nap in a better frame of reference, we'll go to the market for those peksy food products that keep disappearing.

~Dy

3 comments:

Tenniel said...

You are a good mom. You are a good mom. You are a good mom. I can not deal with vomit I think I would have lost it for the whole day! Thanks for sharing, I hope it helped to write it out - I know that it helps me sometimes. We all have days but wow what a day it was in just two hours! I hope the day continued to improve.

Peace,
Tenn

Julie D. said...

I had to laugh too ... although my laughing was in sympathy for the lack of groceries. I don't know how it happens but I suddenly turn around and there is no food ... ok, there's lots of food but no one wants to eat it for LUNCH, don't cha know!

Glad to see your day got better after this. :-)

Stephanie not in TX said...

Dy, I love the way you write!

I am so glad you salvaged your day, and that you shared the details with us. Hoo, boy, have I had that day. My personal work in life is to learn how to handle them without yelling. Still working on that. And working. And working.