Sunday, November 30

Oh, my.

Well, we are home. Three of the five were sick, starting Thursday morning and continuing into Saturday evening. We had a lovely time, illnesses aside. Still, it felt good to pull into the drive. No matter how much you love someone, it's just never comfortable to throw up at their house, is it?

Today, Zorak got hit with something nasty. We'll call it the Productivity Bug. Urngh. He'd been coming down with it earlier, but I didn't realize just how bad it would be. When we hinted to the boys that we had some work to do when we got home, I jokingly told them we were switching to a 12-hour school day. Ha. That would've been a breeze, in retrospect. But really, I've nothing to complain about. We accomplished quite a bit, and are back on high-octane fuel around the Forever Home.

The boys helped Zorak work in the basement. That seemed to movitate everybody on some level. (James said he's just so thankful we aren't doing the 12-hour school day, he'll work as much as we need him to!) The basement is once again functional. The Mistress has been evicted. (She's living in the carport now. Yay!) Tools are back in their proper homes. Trash is in the trash bin. Recycling is... well, it only made it to the carport. But that's out of the basement, so I am a happy camper. The boys split and stacked wood, ran errands, and in general really pitched in beautifully. I cleaned, culled, and sorted. Swept, swept, and culled some more.

Zorak helped me get the door to the linen closet built. This is one of those projects where he isn't convinced it's going to work, but he goes along with it because he loves me. (That, and because he knows that without his input, I'll do it anyway, and someone may end up impaled by the fallout of a failed joint.) He made do with my not-so-precise directions, though, and went along with the crazy scheme. I guess I could have done it, but he doesn't take pictures and I wanted to document the process, in case it worked. I'll get it painted tomorrow and he'll pick up some dodads and then I'll post the pics when we've got it hung. Or when we decide to scrap it and start over.

I culled and re-organized Em's room. Then Zorak moved the crib in there. It is, once again, "The Nursery" - and now EmBaby gets to learn how to s-h-a-r-e a room with somebody. She's lucky it's just Jase. He's the most easygoing of her brothers. But we do think the new arrangements will work well for a while.

And THAT (*trumpets blare from offscreen*) frees up the guest room/nursery/library for the pending transformation into a playroom, complete with toy bins, books, puzzles and a puzzle table, comfy chairs, music, and whatever else they decide to put into the room. We'll work this week to clean it out, empty the closet, and get things lined up so that this weekend we can lay carpet and baseboard and then furnish it with the kids' things.

Hopefully at some point, we'll break out the Christmas decorations. Maybe we'll even get around to hanging pictures on the wall this month!! (What? It's only been three years. Like y'all haven't ever taken that long to get around to unpacking... *grin*)

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Empty the closet? Hmm...oh good idea!

Dy said...

ROFL. Yeah. We figured we might want to get on that. ;-)

Oh, and hey, my cell phone is dead. As in, it's in three pieces and we've only found two. So if you call, call the house. :-)

Jenni said...

Why is it so many people seem to get sick on or right before Thanksgiving? I had a long streak going of getting some kind of tummy bug a day or two before Thanksgiving every year. I was always better by Thanksgiving Day, but it was a close call each time. I've noticed the same thing happens to a lot of people. It's odd.

It sounds like you all are getting so much done! How exciting for you! I'm looking forward to seeing all your pictures of the progress.

We have been in this house almost 3 1/2 years. We've hung very few pictures. MIL told me she would buy me frames for the three prints of Ree's that I want to hang in the dining room as my birthday present--in July. I haven't gotten around to picking out frames. I've had the prints for about a year and half. Simple decisions like what frames to choose and where to put holes in my walls can paralyze me.

H said...

Did your cell phone explode?

Three pieces? Yikes!

Anonymous said...

My daughter just moved here to the country and found a bin that had never been emptied at the last house. So it sat at the last house(which is their second house) from the first house which they moved out of about 6 years ago. If you can undertand me that is. Blessings.

Emily said...

LOL!! We are doing almost the exact same thing here!! We put all 3 boys in one room (yikes!!) and turned the nursery into a playroom, because Maisie naps downstairs in our junk..err..guest room during the day. Just another step in our quest to carve out a tiny little toy-free nitch for Todd & I. Good luck to you! Let me know how long it lasts in your house :)