Monday, November 17

Trying a New Approach

It's been coming. I've seen it coming, but kept hoping the "reminders" (or the "thinly veiled threats") would do the trick. But no, eventually, they will stop believing you when you say they have it easy. Eventually, my friends, they will call your bluff.

Our regular course of academics includes math, Latin, reading, science, history, art, music, and general language arts (literature, spelling, grammar, etc.). But the Bare Bones are math, Latin and reading. If we have a particularly busy day, or are experiencing a plague, those must get done. You can curl up and die under the coffee table after, and only after, your math-Latin-and-reading are done.

Somehow, at some unknown point, that devolved to doing only math, Latin and reading every day. That should take an hour, tops, right? Yet, how did I not really catch on that this was *all* we were accomplishing? Well, they were taking four or five hours to accomplish those three. That's how. Still, I could have spotted it earlier.

I mean, they were more than happy to complain that we didn't do art. But they didn't hear me when I explained that we weren't doing art because art comes after history and spelling in the Grand Scheme of Things, and we weren't getting to those, either. (Of course, obviously, I didn't hear me, either. I'm pretty sure once my throat tightens past a certain point, only dogs and the occasional armadillo can hear me).

And so, last Thursday, at approximately a quarter past three, when there came upon us a Whining of Immeasurable Proportions that I would dare to ask them to unload the dishwasher while they were slaving away at math. Or reading. Or whatever it was at that point. And they were starving, to boot! ...well, I snapped.

They were starving because I had yet to prepare a mid-day meal, hence the request that the dishwasher be unloaded, which is normally done when the Big 3 are completed, but they weren't done yet, but we were hungry, so could you pleeeeeaassseee... ah, but you get the point. Things were, quite simply, out of hand.

This week, we're on an 8-3 schedule. Fifteen minute recess. Outside. (Because it's important for them to be out. side.) Thirty minute lunch. Timers and schedules and... my favorite part... homework. Heh. Yes, I'm spending this week lecturing for a full 35 minutes per subject, doling out the busy work, and then assigning as "homework" the very pages they'd have done during the day if they hadn't pushed that envelope. Although I haven't let them know, yet, that that's exactly what's happening. We'll see if they catch on. I figure if they do catch on on their own, hold a pow-wow, and articulate their understanding of the situation, then, sure, we'll stop this little experiment. That will be worth the effort going into it.

If they do not figure it out by Friday, I will fill them in on the fact that their evenings, which have been so full of work thus far, could easily be free from strife and worry if only they would stick to the Task At Hand during the day. AND we could be done before three. AND they'd still get a fantastic education in the end. It'll probably also make them more observant creatures in the future, I'm sure.

The scary part, though, is that although the actual time-frame is pretty rotten, the timer thing, and the uber-scheduling, and so on... it's been a pretty nice day. It's 1:30, and all we have left to do is art. Fortunately, I began homeroom (ha - I'm such a dork, I know) this morning by explaining that this "isn't a punishment, but rather an opportunity to see things through a different lens" - they didn't buy it, but I did let them know that if they find things they do enjoy this week, things they'd like to incorporate into our regular schedule, by all means -- glean away, wee ones! This is your life, your education. Whatever it takes to keep you actively involved, I'm good with it. (Although I do hope they don't opt to keep the 7:30 start time... that was a bit rough.)

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

7 comments:

Meliss said...

I hear you, sister! Would it make you feel better to know that we have the same exact problem here at our house? I had to implement a checklist with time limits in recent weeks. A math lesson should not take 2 hours to complete. Now, if the four blocks are not checked off during the week during the reasonable time frame, they have Saturday homework.

I'm also getting more gray-hair from having to "spoon feed" my 12 year old. Hormones are definitely doing a number on him. It doesn't look like he'll become an independent learner anytime during the middle school years.

mere said...

Oh, you're good.

Today, I pretty much blew it. Tomorrow there will be blood on the grindstone and much shorter noses! (That includes my own nose!)

Our first term is ending next week, then testing the Monday and Tuesday of Thanksgiving and then off to term two, which I already have planned...Yay me!

Looking forward to hearing how things go!

mere

Laura said...

Bless you!

I found that for us, the homeschooling rubber meets the adolescent road at between the ages of 10 and 12. Until then, my homeschooling day is a joy and delight, and seldom do any dark clouds appear. But around age 10, the work load slightly increases, and this slug appears where once I had a chipper, alert, and eager-to-learn child. Thankfully, we've been able to tweak and realign and bend a little so that the whole year doesn't tank, and eventually the slug recedes and the human returns. Sometimes it takes 2 years.

Hopefully, this won't happen to you!

Dy said...

laura, yep, it's the 10yo. The one who used to just *love* to work, to do school, to talk about what we'd found. He's morphing into a fairly congenial... slug. Ugh. You couldn't have picked a better word. I'm going to cling to the "fairly congenial" part. That may be my sanity-saver in the next year (*gulp* or two...) If you feel led to offer insight into what helped make the transition bearable for them, and for you, please feel free to share. Often, and with great detail! ;-)

mere! Tell me you're posting a re-cap? :-D

Meliss, I'm sorry you're dealing with it too. Shall we high-five over double dip cones when we've made it through? Maybe jr. high age isn't the right time to look to them being "independent learners"??? I'm thinking we'll need to refocus our benchmarks a bit, eh? ;-)

momanna98 said...

Oh my. My 10 yo has always been a slug. He's going to get worse?!?!? I hope not. I don't think he could move any more slowly. Or maybe he has gotten worse, and it was slow and I didn't notice. Oh my. Now I'm scared. I do need to get out my timer. Things always go better when I have that thing going.

Melora said...

I love hearing about other pokey ten year old boys! Travis has five minutes left on the timer before his math assignment becomes homework and we move on. If I don't use a timer he will take two or three hours on math and all is lost. I make up my weekly assignment lists (with check boxes) on Sunday afternoon, when I have had a day and a half off, and am filled hope and idealism. Then Monday comes and I remember that my students are more inclined to play with the cats and draw alien battles than they are to work steadily at their assignments. But my lovely checklists give me comfort and help me rearrange when a subject is being neglected Too regularly!

Hopewell said...

Amen! Crack that whip!! I just found your blog again and will keep visiting like I used to.