Thursday, November 13

"Fix it! Fix it, in my head!"

This is the request I received today. I will now attempt to undo the damage I did in my earlier post.

Let me be perfectly clear, I am not over-estimating anyone's abilities but ours. But look, by overestimating our own abilities, and then refusing to let go of those illusions, just look at all we have accomplished! So, if you find yourself thinking to yourself, or to whomever is nearest you, "I swear, if she says 'This is so simple' one. more. time.. so help me..." I want you to take a deep breath, and give me enough warning to duck.

This is so simple.

Figure out where you want to put your stove. Use whatever criteria is important to you. We wanted it fairly centrally located, but not actually IN a hallway, or doorway, or right by the leaky window. (Yeah, I know it won't always be leaky, but that's not the point.) And, be aware of where your joists/studs/other structural obstacles may be located. That needs to factor in to your placement plans, unless you're wanting to get really wild with the framing work... in which case, you don't need this post.

Here's the quick 'n easy way to determine if your desired happy spot is going to be happy: find your spot, check the back clearance and use that to measure how far the center of the vent pipe will be from the wall. Now, use a square and mark on the ceiling that exact spot out from the wall. Stick a bamboo skewer/wire/something pokey through that spot. Send someone brave into the attic area to look for the thing poking out through the insulation. If you'll clear the joists with the pipe, you're golden. If you won't, then you want to either re-orient your stove, pick another spot, or get creative with the pipe. The manual has specifications and details for just that situation.

You're going to need about a 3'x4' base. Pick a non-flammable material. Brick, pavers, tile... asbestos. Whatever works for you. If you knit, sew, or crochet, I can only explain it like this: find a variation in pattern using your material that will fit somewhere close to those dimensions. Ta-da! You're almost there! (OK, not really, but that felt good, didn't it? I use that on myself a lot.)

Now, you need something to put that non-flammable material on. Go ahead and buy a full sheet of 3/4" plywood, because you are going to feel SO empowered after you finish this project, that you'll practically dream up a project just to use the rest of that plywood. (And also because you may not be able to buy a half sheet. But just trust me. Run with it.) Pick up a 3'x5' sheet of 1/4" hardibacker ("TM"), screws, and a bag of "thinset" mortar. (Get a notched trowel while you're there, if you don't already have one.)

OK, now this part is right up there w/ layering a lasagna, piecing a quilt, or mating socks: a little mundane, not difficult, but oh-so-necessary. Cut the plywood to match the size/shape of your pattern. (Might wanna use a masonry blade in your skilsaw so you can cut the ankle-biting corners off the front two corner bricks. I'm just sayin'...) Do a dry run, stack it all up nice and neat. It's like Legos for Big People. Stand back, and feel productive.

Now (working on site - right where you want it) slap a little mortar on your plywood, lay the hardibacker on it, and screw it in. More mortar on top of that, and then the Fireproof Material of Your Choosing atop that. C'mon, you've made sandwiches before. It's easy.

Let that cure while you install the chimney kit that you picked up at Lowe's (HD doesn't carry them, here, get it at Lowe's). It has directions. Good directions. Right now, we're focusing on the pad. Stay with me. Breathe. We're almost done. (I mean it this time.)

Get someone to help you lift the stove and set it right where you want it on your nifty, new, fireproof pad!

Look at you GO!

And then kiss those babies!
~Dy

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Dy,

We've got a soapstone radiant heat woodstove, and it's beautiful and keeps our house toasty warm. We had it put in our house during the building phase, but even then, no one quite knew what to do with it...which had us a little worried! Ours has a concrete block foundation (two pillars, I think) supporting it, and then a layer of subflooring and then tile. The hearth is flush with our hardwood floor which makes it easier to keep clean.

We still don't think the builder knew "how" to install it; they just did the best they knew how.

One night around 10 p.m., my husband (who is not the engineering type!) decides to try to move our stove (just an inch or so) because the stove pipe wasn't straight and the stove wasn't drafting correctly. We have high ceilings and I'm watching as this 16 ft. column of pipe comes out of our ceiling and begins to drop down. He and my son were holding it, but it's heavy, and the whole time I'm thinking it's going to fall over and take out half of our wall while injuring someone! After they got it down safely, my next thought is how will they ever get it back up again!! At this point, I went to bed....can you believe it?! They stayed up until well after midnight fixing it, but I just couldn't do it...can't remember why I was so tired, but I thought why does he have to start this at 10 p.m. at night?!

Anyways, you can tell Zorak, the chimney folks around Birmingham wanted about $1600 to install our stove. I'm sure that will make you feel better knowing you did it yourself! And it will be done right because you care!

By the way, we bought our stove from the Woodstock Soapstone Company, and they have some online help for instalation I believe. Good luck, you're going to love the stove!

momanna98 said...

ummm... I read, "blah, blah, blah." with a little Chinese mixed in. :-)

Anonymous said...

I love the sandwich encouragement ~ I can make a sandwich!

Y'all are doing such a grand job even a couple of musical theater geeks start considering "DIY" home improvement or maintenance :) projects.

Thanks for sharing.

Pamela

Kathy Jo DeVore said...

Did I really ask you to "fix it in my head," or did you receive other requests as well? :D

And have I mentioned lately that y'all really rock? Not just for doing it yourselves, but for not making the rest of us feel like idiots when we need more detailed information, and for actually giving us the info.