Tuesday, November 25

More Holiday Fun

Well, since the fruit of our labor didn't pan out for gift giving this year, we decided to go back to square one. All the good ideas come from there, don't they? And so, here's a peek at the gifts we've been working on this year. We refer to it as The Ultimate Regifting Project:


Hey, now, lest you think we're just being cheap, we're not. These aren't gifts we're trying to get rid of. To be honest, each pan went through a long and emotional decision-making process. We're certified cast iron hoarders. And if you have a good pan, it's hard to part with it. (I knew Zorak was in it for the long haul when he finally allowed his cast iron and mine to comingle in the cupboards! It was true love.) These are special, and they're given with a lot of love.

There's nothing quite like an old, awesome, well-seasoned cast iron skillet. And, of course, you have to know your audience. So not everybody will be getting one of these. However, take a look at what one can do with a cast iron Christmas gift:


(Doesn't that look scrumptious? Photo credit to Me-Tae.)

We're spending Thanksgiving with family, and are really looking forward to it. Hopefully I'll put down the food and wine long enough to get more pictures (because that's going to be another batch of Christmas gifts, don't ya know!) In the meantime, I'll leave you with a Gratuitous Happy Baby shot:

Happy Thanksgiving!

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You slay me. Between Jase and Eli, you and KathyJo make *the* cutest babies ever.

Cast iron is a gift of extreme coolness.

Anonymous said...

Hey, you're labeling your pictures as belonging to Classic adventures now. Does this mean I can't take them and claim those cute kids as mine any more? ;)

Anonymous said...

Thank you Dy! Jase is such a cutie. That's an awesome picture.

So can you write me an email and tell me how you guys season your cast iron skillets? Do you really put it in the fire like that? Please let me know.

I have very many skillets and couple of dutch ovens. I love em all!

~sdWTMer

Emily (Laundry and Lullabies) said...

We're going homemade with our gift giving this year. For nearly everyone - there are just a few who just aren't quite the type to appreciate it. I'm having lots of fun coming up with the ideas and learning new skills as I make them. Did you know that making soap is really pleasant? And making candy is nearly as fun as eating it? And my brothers are getting hammocks - I'm putting my sewing skills to good use. :) This is the first Christmas that I've really tried to do this, and so far I'm really liking it. It seems much more appropriate to Christmas to give gifts that you took time and care over, rather than just picking up a gift card, you know?

Anyway, that was a long comment. ;) What I meant to say was that I like your idea, and cast iron pans are AWESOME.

Konkadoo said...

The baby shot is much better than the pans. Too cute!

I'd love a pan like that as a gift! I still haven't bothered to season my pans so it aparently would have to come ready to use here too.

Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving from the north (central Illinois) to our blogger friends in the south. Blessings too!