Wednesday, November 5

What a day!

The boys did so well with piano today. John finished two books this week, and played out of every song his teacher gave him today. So, he gets a new theory book and moves onward. The glow on his face, and the sweet, sheepish grin he bore, as his teacher gushed to him about how incredibly well he's doing... oh, why don't I have a camera implanted in my temple yet? I need one. I need one that will snap photos whenever I think or say, "Awwww". James, too, moved through his lessons beautifully. I so enjoy listening to his lessons. The songs he's playing now are really beautiful. I wish she'd start teaching them some Christmas songs, though. (But perhaps that's just me - love me some Christmas music!)

Autumn has come, in all the splendor it has to offer! Oh, it's gorgeous. I think the wetter year, combined with the colder weather conspired to create a magnificent display this fall. Sitting on the balcony, where I'm about mid-way into the bulk of the canopy, absolutely surrounded by the colors and shadows, the squirrels, the peace... I find myself reaching for poetry to fit the moment. Sadly, nothing comes readily to mind. I don't want the kids to lack that, in their later years. Hence, the plethora of poetry books we reach for almost every day. From Belloc to Frost - from giggles to glory - humans have always sought to find the words to express the sensations of the soul. Some have come close, and I want the kids to know them and be able to draw upon them, even if its some day too far away for me to see. They'll have it when they need it.

There's no Scouts this week! Yay! (I need to get more posterboard, and was a wee bit panicky when I realized tonight that tomorrow is traditionally Scout night. *whew*)

The play at TCTSHBN (The Church That Shall Not Be Named, as we'll be calling it from now on) is coming along. John was pretty stoked about two things tonight: he got to use the cordless mike at rehearsals, and they "finally have a song with no movements in it!" Seriously, it's an hour-long musical performance, and every song is choreographed heavily. The one with no movements in it does, actually, have movement, it's just that John doesn't have to do any of it. They are enjoying the work, though, which is part of the reason we stay (the other being that there are people counting on them for their parts, and they have a responsibility to see that through). However, I don't think they'll have any qualms with leaving when the time comes.

And, did I mention it's FALL? Bread baking weather. Sweater weather. Time to find a good book and a cup of hot tea weather. Yes, this is my happy time of year. And we have a lot to do this fall, too, so that'll be nice. (Does anybody else think a pecan tree would be a romantic gift? You know, for a guy who wants a pecan tree, anyway?)

What's your favorite part of Autumn?

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

The perfect walks in perfect weather, that's my favorite! No sweat, no dehydration or carrying 12 waters with us, no whining, just beautiful, quiet, serenity. I love Autumn!


~ Jess

Bridget said...

I love the cool crispness of the air in the morning and the leaves changing colors. I love to sit on my deck and look out over the mountain with a hot cup of coffee. Fall is one of my favorite seasons.

Anne said...

It's hard to pick just one thing...I love hot chocolate or warm apple cider on a cold morning. This fall I think my favorite thing will be giving birth to this baby!!! :o)

Jenni said...

Fall is my happy time, too. I wish life would just slow down and let me enjoy it. I could spend every day of fall just playing outside, walking through leaves, picking apples, doing all those fall type things. I think my favorite part of autumn is the smell and the crisp feel in the air. Even on our property where the colors of the elms and cottonwoods are not so lovely as all the varieties of maples and other showy trees in town, the smell and feel of that autumn air is still present. It's the most delicious thing on earth.

Just this morning while I was doing morning chores (shoveling manure, as a matter of fact), I looked out around me (not at the manure) and thought how great it would be if I had some kind of camera implant in my eyes. I imagined I could compose the shot exactly the way I saw it with my eyes and in my mind and then blink to snap the thing. Really I did. Maybe someday with the advancements in technology:o)

I think a pecan tree would be a totally romantic gift. I would love it anyway.

Emily (Laundry and Lullabies) said...

Mmm, grey days with just a hint of mist in the air, a little bite in the wind, pretty leaves, open windows and wearing sweaters in the house, hot cocoa "just because", good books...

why oh why do I live in Southern California? It is still summer here!

Mom2legomaniacs said...

I'll say what others have said. The coolness in the air along with a hot mug of something. Love hot cider! The falling of the leaves -- both in sound and sight. The bugs going away!!! The humidity gone! Love fall.

Konkadoo said...

Oh, I soooo do not get poetry. I wish I did, I could just never get into it. My girls kind of like it and every couple years I feel guilty so we have about 2 or 3 days of poetry until I let it slide again.

Michael is no help. He says poetry is... never mind. I'm not going to say what he says because I want you to still like us!

I'm loving fall here too.

H said...

Dy, your church sounds like the sort that will post clips of the play online. When they do, please post a link! I'd love to see your boys onstage!

Dy said...

Hillary, I don't know. They had a professional videographer coming - we aren't even supposed to take pictures. Well, I know he won't be zooming in on my kids, not with the raw talent they inherited from me :-P - so I'm taking my camera. What are they doing to do, kick me out? Bwaahahaahaaa