Friday, August 4

What A Weird Day

It began with a phone call from the sporting goods store and ended with a new bookkeeper. And not once did it slow down!

I'm not sure if I'm heebed over this or not, but I got a call from the lady at the sporting goods store, letting me know I'd left my keys there yesterday. OK, the call I appreciated... but how did she get my name and number? Books-A-Million! I have the little dodad card on my key ring. She called them, and they gave her my name AND phone number. Eeeesh. That's not sitting horribly well with me. My house key is on that ring. I don't know.

ANYway...

We veered precariously close to a unit study today. After we read a chapter from Little House, we made "lantern covers" like the ones Laura described. We don't have any tin, and I'm not up for open flames without another adult to call 911 if things get out of hand, but construction paper and flashlights work quite well when you are seven, six, and two-half.

Mr. Ward gave the boys a telescope this evening, as a kind of a combination birthday gift for them. It's pretty neat, and they are thrilled. They (ok, "we" - like I was going to miss out on playing with it!) got to view the moon tonight before bed. I don't think it really clicked with the boys as much as it will later, though, as all three of them were literally vibrating with energy most of the day. It was too hot to go out and dispel some of it, though, and so they vibrated their way through supper, showers, jammies, and the telescope action. I'm pretty sure if you listen closely, you can hear their little beds humming with the vibrations. (And Smidge is laying here, talking in his sleep, as I type.)

Tonight I fired our bookkeeper. Her method of filing left a lot to be desired, and although she works cheap, she was costing us a fortune in late fees and added stress. Fortunately (?), I am not only the personnel manager, but the personnel, as well. So at least I was able to get someone on the job immediately. ;-) I spent the last four hours sorting through the two milk crates, three cardboard boxes, and five grocery bags that have been our filing cabinet since, oh, well, from the looks of things, since we got to Alabama. *cringe* The current status isn't permanent, but at least everything's labled and in something mildly resembling order.

Ward also hooked up a wireless router to our computer. Nifty! Now, if I'm really, really good, maybe I could get a laptop to go with it? Nah, only five months 'til Christmas. Not gonna happen this year. BUT, we can now get the computer out of the nursery without having to futz with more wiring right-at-this-moment. Yay.

And, it seems my computer just did something very strange. I cannot get to the bubbles in the task bar at the bottom. Okay... probably a sign that it's time to go to bed and ignore the problem until it rectifies itself or completely knocks out the system, right? (And Zorak says I couldn't be an IT guy. Pffft. No sense of adventure in that one, I'll tell ya!)

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

4 comments:

Thom said...

Some young kid working behind the counter at Books-a-Million probably thought they were doing the "nice" thing by giving out your personal info. so you could get your keys back. It's still a little disconcerting,though. Perhaps a friendly chat with the management about their privacy policies would be in order?

Umm, while you're hiring and firing over there? Any possibility of finding a new bookkeeper for me? Mine's been pretty slack,here,too!(*blush*)

Melora said...

I think your unit study sounds like fun. I bought a book called Colonial Kids: An Activity Guide to Life in the New World, and T. was going through it last night excitedly showing me all the projects he wants to do. I bought activity books to go with the last two years of history and never had a chance to do any projects, but I think (hope!) this year will be different, and maybe the poor kid will start to enjoy history (my favorite subject).
I love our little network router thing! It just thrills me to sit in one room with my laptop and hit print and have something print in ANother room (I'm pretty easy to thrill, I guess).
I'd be upset about the Books-a-Million thing too. I'm sure the employee who looked up the information thought he/she was doing you a favor, though.

Jules said...

I so get what you mean about them giving out your name and phone number. That would creep me out too. I am very protective of our privacy and try to be conscious of other people's privacy too, especially when people call the church and want info on someone.

I am so jealous! We were also given a telescope last year but the darned thing doesn't work very well- or else I haven't figured it out yet. Maybe I'll have to dig it out and give it another try.

Dy said...

Yeah, I've decided to go with the "I appreciate the thought, buuuuttt..." approach w/ BAM.

And on the bookkeeping end... um, this new gal *cough, cough* isn't exactly what you'd call "on the ball". She leaves papers lying all over the couch, under the guise of "sorting", and she's eaten all the ice cream (but left the bubble gum stuff).