Tuesday, August 15

What did you EAT?

Delightful days. They come along on occasion, and we soak them up. We smile at our children as they play together peacefully. We sigh with joy as they do kind things for one another... we, wait. That wasn't today. Today was good, but it wasn't that kind of good. It was typical, "I have four children and no organizational skills," good. I take what I can get.

We left for the library after completing our lessons, tidying the kitchen, making some fabulous muffins, and rearranging the living room. We also cleaned the bathroom, did a load of wash and picked up the dining room. It would probably sound impressive if I just stopped talking there, but in the interest of honesty, we, erm, didn't leave the house until three-thirty.

I hid my non-Southern hair in a clippie, which almost hides the flaws. Almost. It's kind of like wearing a dickie under a blazer; everyone knows it's not a real turtleneck sweater under there, but nobody's so rude as to say anything about it. To your face. Ok, I'm good with that. Now I just hope the children don't ever find my clippie hiding spot and use it for "The Claw!!" I have lost more of these things that way...

Anyway, we loaded up, feeling very with-it and adventurous, and headed into Decatur to check out the library. That was when James busted me. I was singing a song as I unloaded the Small Ones, and he said, "What song is that, Mom?" Oh, just one I made up. "Yeah, but what's the tune from? Where'd you get that?" HE KNOWS! He now knows I don't have a rythmic bone in my body! He knows now that I am nothing more than a *gasp* lyric hack! Wait till we have to cover budgeting and finances. It's a long, yet rapid, trip from Awe-Inspiring Omniscient Mother to Whatever Replaces Awe-Inspiring Omniscient Mother.

We got into the library and got in line behind the one guy at the counter. And there we stayed for just over 20 minutes, while four library workers tried to explain to him that no, he doesn't have a fine, and yes, he can use his card, and no, really, there's no fine. The line began to build behind us. The boys became antsy. Miss Emily wanted D-O-W-N. It was all I could do not to just reach over and swivel the monitor to face him so he could see it in writing and go about his day. But then, with four women standing there, nodding, looking Very Authoritative, I really expected that at any moment one of them would maybe go man one of the other machines. Didn't happen.

Smidge started out well, but by the time we were motioned forward, he was a Puppy Dog. A panting, whimpering, on-all-fours Puppy Dog. I have no idea where this came from (or why he graced us with it right then). He wasn't like that when we loaded up! I actually asked the boys if they'd fed him anything on the way to the library. I checked for crumbs, artificially colored moustache stains, telltale chocolate smears. Nothing. Either it was just a strange burst of energy, or those children have become exceedingly efficient at Evidence Removal.

In the end, we all got cards, even Dog-boy. We picked out our TWO books (first time borrowing on a new card they limit to two items - thankfully we have to be back in town tomorrow), and came home to enjoy the adventures of the Ancient Greeks, Miss Sophie, and Bob the Builder.

Tonight, I actually got Miss Emily to sleep without having to bribe her. She sat on my lap, happily playing with whatever she could reach (it was dark, there's no telling what it was) when suddenly, said object clunked to the floor and she slumped back into the crook of my arm. *awkward pause ensued* I peered cautiously down at her, not wanting to make actual eye contact, but wondering if she might need medical attention or resuscitation, and there she was, doing the best John Belushi impression I've seen in ages. Eyes half-open, goofy grin on her face, both chins showing, arms sort of floating to her sides. She looked very intoxicated. After I checked to make sure it was just sleepiness and not whatever she'd been chewing on, I stroked her nose a couple of times and *donk*, there she went! Out!

This is the first time, in four children, that I have been able to do that! I haven't been able to put a nursling to bed -without nursing - E-V-E-R! It was beautiful. I feel so... competent.

So yeah, today was good.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

8 comments:

Claudia said...

How much of a Highland's bottle did she have? lol Ben and I had that with Dave for a nap last week. (He REALLY did get into the teething tablets.)

Laney said...

LOL!

Smidge goes "dog" and Jeremy goes "pirate." They would make a great comedy routine!

I got your e-mail and I will answer all of your nosey questions in tomorrow's blog.:-)

Melora said...

Hey, I think you were doing great to get all that done And get to the library! Two books on your first use? I'v never heard of a library card needing to be "broken in."
As long as Smidge was a puppy dog who stayed with you, I would be fine with that. Mine tended to go for the elevator or out the door and toward the gift shop when the line didn't move.
I was never able to get either of mine to sleep without nursing them into that happy state. Good job!!

Emily said...

Walker is our dog-boy! But I recently let him watch the movie Milo & Otis and now he is cat-boy (aka Miwo) half the time.
Congrats on getting Emily to sleep :)

~Em

Dy said...

Claudia, I'm ROFL here, only b/c I actually did break out the Hylands. But, but, but... I SWEAR I didn't drug her! lol.

Lynette, I'm glad to know there's hope. This is my first animal child, and it's rather interesting. I don't mind, but it'll be nice when the little critters don't just emerge at random!

Laney, THANK YOU!!! *smooches* You're the best!

Dy

Anonymous said...

The puppy dog thing runs in the family! Taryn embrassed David by being a puppy dog in the park playing catch, she even got on top of the slide and howled. Then she growled and grabbed Fred's pant leg with her teeth and started shaking her head and pulling his leg. She loved pretending to be a puppy. She was not yet 3 years old. She grew out of it, but she was very good at being a dog.

Anonymous said...

Wow! And I thought my library was strict! We have a 20 book limit - forever. I was so appaled, but luckily, between us three card holders, we can get 60 books. I told my hubby how rediculous it was that we could only check out 20. He said "'only' 20?? That's more than enough!" Sigh... People who don't read, just don't get it....

J-Lynn said...

Craig was my first fall-asleep-on-his-own-nursling. It was an odd but awesome experience I remember! Isabelle did that like maybe once. And Tristan a handful of times. It's pretty great isn't it? lol