Monday, August 21

Going On Vacation

I don't think we've vacationed somewhere other than the homes of friends or relatives in... in... um... well, ever. This is foreign ground for me, and I'm certain the places I called thought they were being cranked by Mel Tillis, for all the stuttering and stammering I did on the phone. Conversations went something like this:

Operator: "Welcome to ReallyLongNameOfRandomResort, where your comfort is our concern (or some such slogan)."

Me: Yeah, hi... um, honey I'm on the phone. Please wait.

Operator: *confused pause* Okay...

Me: Oh, no, not you. Sorry. Children. Have them. I do.

Operator: *sigh* No problem, ma'am. How can I help you.

Me: Well, I need a room. Er, suite. Or, uhhhh... (trying to remember where it is I just called) lodging. Yeah, lodging.

Operator: For how many adults?

Me: One.

Operator: How many children?

Me: Four.

Operator: What?

Me: What?

Operator: How many children?

Me: Four... please don't do that.

Operator: Ma'am?

Me: Um, sorry, children.

Operator: Okay, so you'll be wanting a three bedroom condo...

Me: NO! I mean, not you. Well, yes. No, I wouldn't like a three bedroom condo. But the emphasis. Hang on. *trying to muffle the phone* If you want to sleep somewhere other than the Suburban while we are there, I suggest you find something to do other than stand right here, arguing with your brother. I will take the bench seat, I swear I will, and you will be left with the floor. Now, GO! *ahem* Yes, anyway, a one bedroom would be fine. They're small.

Operator: Our one bedrooms are about 800 square feet...

Me: Oh, *nervous titter* I meant the children. They're small. Well, two of 'em are, anyway. One bedroom would be fine.

Operator: How long will you need accomodations, and what is your arrival date?

Me: *I give her the dates.*

Operator: *pause* Two days? You're coming for two days?

Me: Yes... *awkward pause* *more awkward pausing - dead silence on the other end, and I'm wondering what further information I could possibly add to that* ...It's a short trip.

Operator: *wondering just how large the deposit on this place ought to be* OK, Ma'am, I have a one bedroom with a pullout sofa, pullout kitchen table and sheets for the ironing board. Would you like beach front or *muffled something I could never quite catch*

Me: Water. I want to see the water. Easily. Without having to stand on the railing.

Operator: *chuckling* (Although I'm not sure if it's good-naturedly, or just hoping to get through this without yelling "FIRE! FIRE!" and hanging up the phone.) Alright, we have you set with a one-bedroom unit with free beach umbrella for *insert random price, here*

And, Voila! It took only two hours of phone calls and web surfing and we have a place to stay. I hope it's a wonderful place. One we will return to time and again so that I never have to have those conversations again.

So, condo is reserved. Lest you think I'm getting all uppity, let me say that beachfront condos are about 20% LESS expensive than your average Best Western (not that I'm naming names or anything... *ahem*) So, I can save 20%, AND I get a kitchen, so we don't have to eat out all the time (thus saving even more money), AND I get a bedroom in which to tuck the wee burnt darlings at the end of the day, AND a beach front balcony, with unlimited hot coffee at my disposal? Oh, my, word. I may never want to leave.

And I so need to hit the library for a little brain candy to take on this trip!

Sadly, that's about as far as I've made it. Total lock up. I can't think what else to bring. Obviously, clothing, sun screen, snorkels, um... what do people take on vacation?!? Hit me with your best short-but-sweet vacation list. (The trip is short, but the list probably ought to be, also, since I won't have another responsible adult for backup.) Remember, I'm a minimalist. Before having children, I traveled with an internal frame backpack, no matter how long I was going to be gone. If I could fit diapers and socks for all of us in my backpack, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

The boys have the map spread out in the dining room, and have marked off our route (James), inquired about fishing (John), and shouted "Wango beee! Wango beee!" (Um, that would be Smidge, yes. Translation: Want to go to the beach!) I think they're excited about the trip.

I'll get to touch base with a friend I haven't seen in 16 years. Egads, that's a long time. But I am so excited, and it'll be nice to visit and enjoy a legal beer together. :-)

Oh, and I did find one completely goof-nut tourist thing we simply must do: Dolphin Cruise!

Now, to locate a Crunchy Market, something that will make me look decent in a swimsuit in less than 48 hours, and a black market source for gas and I'm good!

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

12 comments:

Anniesue said...

It appears you are going to be in my neck of the woods!!! I realize it's a short visit, but if you have a wee bit of spare time, I'd love to meet up with you. We did the same Dolphin cruise you posted a few years ago. It was fun. The dolphins were scarce but we still had a good time.

hornblower said...

Have a great trip guys! I hope you have fabulous weather & make lots of fun memories. Oh, and catch fish!

Needleroozer said...

The only thing I can think of is lots of books and cd players for the car ride, and my nature journal. But that is always a must for me.

Have a wonderful time, even if you aren't coming to the NW, and drive safe.
LB ;-)

mere said...

You have phone conversations like that too, huh? I feel really sorry sometimes for those poor unsuspecting souls who call at peak hyper times. What is it about moms being on the phone that cause sweet darlings to transform into WWF performers in no time flat?

Sounds like y'all are going to have a great time. I can't help with packing though. I'm a minimalist, too.

mere

H said...

I have phone conversations like this all. the. time. I am SOOO glad to know that I'm not alone.

Have fun on your vacation, though! You'll have a great time! I'm very impressed with your desire to spend your vacation visiting someplace *even hotter* than your current location!

Blessings!

Hillary

Jennie C. said...

Well, whatever you decide to bring, double check the kids backpacks to make sure they actually put in things like pajamas, underwear, and swimsuits, instead of loading them with things like stuffed animals and a small plactic cinderella carriage. I'm just saying.

We stayed at a three bedroom condo in Florida last year, which we got for a price way lower than any orlando hotel...AND IT WAS HEAVEN! I have never enjoyed a vacation so much. Room for everyone to sleep. Tubs galore. A living room with a tv much larger than home. Private bedroom for us. A kitchen! Oh, I had no idea that vacations could actually be fun till we stayed there.

G. said...

Have a great time and take lots of pictures!

Dy said...

Jennie - You made me laugh. And recheck backpacks. Thank you!

Hillary - hush, woman! It's not hotter there. It's actually going to be in the 80's, and, well, rainy... but not hotter. ;-)

Nancy - SAND TOYS! Yes! They're probably on sale now, too. Woohoo!

Thanks, guys, all. Zorak has been deposited to the air funnel, the house is mostly clean, and now it's time to finish packing. :-)

Dy

Bob and Claire said...

The vacation sounds wonderful--I'm so jealous! I have had many conversations like that too, so now I try to book online. LOL, I thought you were going to say you had been CALLED by one of those resort places--you know, trying to sell you a great vacation package, the kind of a maximun of 4 people! Sometimes, if I have time, I like to play with those telemarketers, to see what solution they have for the 7 of us. It's funny--"Leave some kids behind" or "Just sneak the extra kids in--no one notices". LOL! Have a great and relaxing trip!

The Queen said...

bug stuff?

And children's Something to Settle Tummies medicine.

Don't ask me. I have no clue. I just put all my painting and wallpaper stripping materials in a box to ship to my MIL's so I can go paint her place for a week and *I* am suffering under the delusion that *it* counts as vacation.

Anonymous said...

One adult, and 4 children?! Oh, my you are brave. I love my kids, but don't think I could take my 3 on vacation by myself without jumping off said railing!!!

Staci Eastin said...

DO the dolphin cruise. We did one when we went to Orange Beach and loved it.

I'll admit, I was a little concerned when our captain was barefoot, and that his first mate was, ahem, drinking a beer at 10 am, but when they started playing Jimmy Buffet, I figured out what we were dealing with and had fun.

Isn't that funny about the condos being less expensive? It was heavenly staying in a condo, and the kitchen saved us so much money.

Have fun!