Saturday, August 19

Really Be There

The biggest challenge, for me, of the part-time single parenting gig is just how much work it takes to balance all the needs of all the people, when there is only one of me. Er, of us. He's not another "me", but he sure is handy! For the most part, we handle the separation well by focusing on the positive things: the living room stays tidied, the laundry is easier to manage; meals are a bit less formal, but still nutritious; evenings don't have the same feel to them, but we do get through them. In general. The boys know Dad will return, and all will be well. I know it's temporary, and so, it's fine.

Smidge, however, has been hit the hardest this week. You see, in his two year old vision, there is no next week or last week. There is here, and now. There is the immediate and the impending, although the latter is pretty vague and manifests itself as more of a sensation than an upcoming event. And at bedtime, it hits him the hardest.

Bedtime itself hits me the hardest. Unless you could be billed as a double-jointed singing, juggling wonder (which, I couldn't), it's difficult to floss someone's teeth while the wailing infant is dangling precariously over your knee, her head coming uncomfortably close to both the tile floor and her brother's flailing feet. Why does he have to do an Irish jig while brushing his teeth, anyway?

Someone is always running around, clad in only skivvies, singing songs through his nose. Someone else is always leaping, gazelle-fashion, down the hallway, then slamming, mosh pit-fashion, into the door jamb. The boys seem to love bedtime, although I'm pretty sure we don't have the same goal in mind. Miss Emily seems to loathe bedtime, and I can't say I blame her. But Smidge, well, it's hard to be two.

What he wants and needs, come bedtime, is far from what I usually have left to give him. He needs a soft, gentle round of "I love you, a bushel and a peck..." He needs Tommy Tinkers and the Granny treatment. He needs "fife stories", at least. And he gets those, but somehow, they aren't enough.

Because those are the trappings, the decorative wrappers around what he really desires: he needs me to look directly into his eyes, with my whole body telling him that he is special, and that this time is for him. He needs that song to be sung with all of the attention my heart can give. He needs me to show him that all this craziness means something, and that it will be okay. He needs to have ten minutes where he is the center of my heart's attention.

And yet, every night I tell myself that I need to rush through bedtime and get these kids to BED. NOW. Hut, hut, chop, chop, let's Go, People! And they go. And we rush. And then, when it's all said and done, there are tears. I'm frazzled. I'm done. What? What's the problem? Didn't we sing? Didn't we read? Didn't I fluff your blanket enough to make that stupid fabric softening bear envious?

I'm ashamed to admit that even the tears aren't always enough to pull me back to reality. It's so easy, in the middle of the day, with the sun shining, and a full tank of energy, to smile at strangers as they pass us and say, "Pardon us, we move on toddler time." It's not so easy to keep moving on toddler time, especially when there is the promise of rest, quiet, and a chance to sit, quivering on the couch, and recover from the day. Perhaps even get up and walk around the living room in complete strides, rather than the short-legged shuffle at which I usually pace myself. But then there are the tears, and the what's-wrong-now, and the fleeting thought that if I toss enough stuffed dogs in there with him, he'll calm down and be okay.

And then I click. Because I'm slow sometimes. And I put the baby in the swing with whatever is on hand (probably some completely inappropriate toy, like Daddy's glasses, or my car remote), give the big boys an extra ten minutes to read in bed, and just sit with Smidge. Hold his little face in my hands and kiss all over him. Pull him into my lap on the floor and whisper with him. Ten minutes to be all his. And in return, he is all mine. And it's wonderful. The day's stresses recede, the week's worries melt off our shoulders, and we taste, however briefly, the sweetness that is this life.

And I'm an idiot for not remembering that. It's like Groundhog Day around here, you'd think I would clue in! ARGH. But even though I am nowhere near the mother this child deserves, he keeps reminding me that I am his, and that this is now, and that it's always going to be busy and hectic, but that it's no excuse for ignoring the important things.

I love you,
a bushel and a peck,
a bushel and a peck,
and a hug around the neck.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh thank you for this post! My whole family, including my husband runs at a slooooooower pace than I do and by evening I get selfish in my frustration and just WANT THEM IN BED! I need to value more the kids need for closure on their day. Good reminder.

mere said...

Oh Dy. I am so convicted by this post. Again, I'm struck by your eloquence. After I read it this morning, I got off the 'puter and hugged all my kids and told them each how much I loved them. They hear that every day, but I just wanted to make that connection one more time.

Have a great weekend!
mere

Jennie C. said...

I have a two year old, too. They are some of my favorite people: strong-willed and opinionated, with just enough verbal and physical skills to make their intentions and needs clear. And they never back down, no siree. She knows whether she wants her song to be the oreo jingle or twinkle little star, and I'd better sing the right one. Her baby's in the living room, and this other baby right here simply will not do. And her favorite blanket is messy and her feet stick out the bottom: fix it please. And kiss her cheeks and her nose and her toes and her elbows and her neck and then she'll give me the sweetest hug in all of creation. And if I'm lucky, on my way out, she'll call, "I lah you, Mommy!" Every one else, sadly, has learned to let the snuggles slide. But two year olds never you get away with it. They're pretty smart.

Janet said...

Beautiful, Dy.

You say it so well and I can relate. Boy can I relate.

Hugs all around :)

Tamra said...

Dy it's been so long since I've been by your blog. I'm so sorry about your separation. (((HUGS)))
Tamra http://www.todaysmodernmother.com

Anonymous said...

In our house when dad is away even though we know its only temporary sometimes its not so fine! Like you, bedtimes are the times when the boys feel dad being away! So I sit there shattered but I listen to their crys, hug, kiss and hug till im strangled and squeezed. I fluff and puff the duvets, run downstairs for the milk, hug, kiss and hug again! I turn on lights, turn off lights, find the lost bear, hug, kiss, hug again, pray and lots of 'I love yous'! Exhausted and eyes rolling, I read stories - not 1 like daddy but 4 or 5! Finally, snores in the quietness can be heard. Bedtime is done and I sit down and realise that it is fine - its just I forgot it was just for an hour:)

Thanks for your encouragement!

Lyn said...

How many times this happens in our house as well. Thanks for the reminder to just put everything aside for a moment and be.

Melora said...

Awww! Poor little Smidge. I hope Zorak is able to spend a little time on the phone with the kids in the evening? Or do they keep him too busy?

I remember my mom singing that song. My kids love it in the picture book version (and, of course, I sing it!). It can be really hard to tune out all the other! things that need to be done and focus on a little one who needs you, but, as you say, it is so important and rewarding. Well said.

Laney said...

Oh, I can so relate! All of a sudden it's 9p.m. and all three boys are still awake and I go into panic mode! "What! Why are you still up?" I forget that they just want to be hugged and have their backs rubbed, after all, don't I want that, too?

Thanks for helping us to remember. :-)

Ernest said...

From the viewpoint of the traveling daddy (man, THAT'S what I should have called my blog), it's hard to leave. You're always in a hurry and you grab a quick hug. Then later you're on the plane regretting the abruptness of your departure, knowing that if something happens to you on this trip a brief hug was all you had time for. ALL YOU HAD TIME FOR. The most important thing in your life and you could only spare a moment for a hug? That feeling usually lasts the whole flight.

And then you get home and everything went so smoothly without you that you feel a little guilty.