Monday, August 7

Earth is too small! Back to school.

We are fairly out of synch with the traditional "school year". A school calendar, for us, would be mostly a log of what the year looked like, rather than what it might/may/ought to/hopefully will look like. We go year-round, taking breaks when needed, but never really stopping or starting a year. The back-to-school sales always catch me off guard. When people begin posting questions here and there about the best way to start the school year, I'm usually stumped.

This isn't to say (in an exaggeratedly snooty accent), "OHHHHhhhhh, WE go year round so we NEVER have to deal with that." Oh, no. No, no. Ask me again in February, after yet another birth, or mid-November, after we've moved *again*, or sometime in the middle of April, between visits from family, and I've got ya covered. We can kick start like pros. It's just the "this is the start of the school year" tag line that causes me to trip over one of my left feet and look around to see if anybody actually saw that.

However, among the starts and stops, I've figured out a couple of things. During those late night gab sessions with good friends over curricula and reading lists, I've been given some real gems. Occasionally, as I talk to Zorak while he sleeps, we experience a stunning epiphany and make all manner of life-style-altering-really-big-adjustments. (Yes, "we". I poke him in the head when I need feedback. Whatever works, in a pinch.) Today, you get absolutely nothing deep, but hopefully something useful.

When I see questions that begin with, "I have everything planned for the first day of school..." I smile. I'm not mocking them. I'm mocking myself of four years ago. She was a funny, compulsive woman.

What I've learned since then: if you must plan it all out, write it in pencil. Lightly. Trust me.

When I read, "What can I do to make the first day of school special?" all I can think is, "Do you have a timer on your coffee pot? And a cattle prod? Perhaps a backup plan? And tell me you wrote your plan in pencil." Each day is going to be as special as we choose to make it, but there are definite phases to "special". It's easier when the children are younger and stickers make everything special. It's harder when they're old enough to know that you're not actually allowing them to "help" make cookies when you give them a bowl, a whisk and a tablespoon of flour to play with while you bake. Then it gets easier again when they can bake cookies on their own, and better yet when they surprise you with a clean kitchen. See, "special" is such a subjective term. Don't set yourself on fire in an attempt to make something spectacular. Not only will you set the bar way too high, but your insurance company is going to stop paying the burn center after three or four incidents.

What I've learned: concentrate on making bonds and memories; traditions will bloom from those roots.

"What am I missing?" Oh, my, you're missing a ton. We all are. Homeschool, public school, private school, highly paid live-in tutor - nobody can cover it all. There's simply no way to learn it all, not even if you give the little darlings a caffeine drip and run them like dogs 24/7.

What I've learned: It's better to ask yourself "what do I want them to take from this year", and then ask others how to flesh it out. There's just too much. But if you can get them moving, intertia kicks in and it gets easier.

And you know, out of three dozen balloons, we haven't any small enough to make Mercury, Earth, or Pluto. Our solar system is now flying around the living room and the rest of science will have to wait for smaller balloons. But that's okay - there's still plenty to learn, plenty to do. Thankfully, we have cookies to bake and I wrote the week's plan in pencil!

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

6 comments:

Melora said...

Great post, Dy!!!
Speaking as one who planned out the entire school year (August 2005- August 2006) last year after I bought Edu-Track Home School Planner, and is still going through the records to change what we were Going to do to what we Actually did do (which I scribbled on scrap paper as we went along), I have to say you are So Right about planning in pencil! Our evaluator today was duly impressed with my neat records, even though they only went through the end of May (I brought my scraps, too, of course, in case she wanted to see what we'd been doing the last couple months, but, astonishingly, she didn't!). She is a good teacher, though, and reminded me, gently, that it is okay to take it easy and even to slack off when a certain subject is dimming the spark. I won't be planning so meticulously this year, although I do like to have a plan and will map out a rough schedule. My aunt, who hs'ed her four kids back in the days before it was much done, once told me that it is a good thing to leave some "gaps" because then your kids have something left to learn later on (only she said it much better, so it made sense!).
I am so excited about our "next year" of school (like you, we school year round, with unscheduled breaks when life gets funky) because I'm hoping for more fun projects and the occasional chance to follow a "rabbit" that catches our interest, and less checking off boxes because mommy has to get back to work.
Again, you said it so well!

Crissy said...

A caffeine drip?
Where do I get one of those?

mere said...

Words of wisdom, yet again.

And what's this:
"Ask me again in February, after yet another birth..." ???!!

Are you trying to tell us something without actually telling us something, Dy?

We do take the summer off but that may change. I'm gearing up for the start of this school year at the end of August, and may just take a few more breaks during the year, instead of the whole summer off next year.

Kathy Jo DeVore said...

LOL Those sales and questions catch me off guard, too. We consider our "school year" as January to December and we just take breaks where life makes them necessary/needed. So I get thrown for a loop twice a year on the one Yahoo group that I'm in as people talk about the ends of their school years in the middle of ours, and about how things are going at the halfway point when we're just starting fresh.

And to top it off, I'm never sure when I'm supposed to drive slower in the school zones. As soon as I realize I'm approaching one, I have to go down the mental checklist: Is it summer now, or perhaps a holiday break, or is this a school day? Is it too early for school to be in session, or is school over for the day? I damn near have to pull over to the side of the road to figure out whether or not I need to drive slower.

Anonymous said...

Whoa Now!!!!!!!

Ask you in February after another birth?!?!?!?!

WOOHOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

And what's this November moving thing? What's going on with moving in November?

But CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!

I've been waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting..... :)

~Jo's Boys]
http://josboys.typepad.com

Lyn said...

"What do you want them to take from this year?"

Those are musical words to a new homeschool who was just getting a little overwhelmed and just started.

Thank you! Thank you for those words. They are going to be posted on my fridge as a gentle reminder!

Take it slow.

Lyn