Thursday, August 31

Sargent, The Troops Are Mobile!

It looks like Miss Emily needs some good camo to go with her Army crawl. She's whizzing from place to place, completing mission objectives with alarming speed. It also seems she will be the one child of ours who'll eat anything. Tonight, she ate two patches off Smidge's Pioneer Club baldrick.

Zorak's workplace had its once-a-year mandatory-fun-day today. This is the one time of year family members are allowed on base without having to give bodily fluid samples and extensive background information. They had good food, mediocre music, and the most frightfully rude clown I've ever seen in my life. At least, in a child-oriented clown. There was that awkward incident in the hospitality room with the Shriners one year, but as far as an on-the-job kids' clown goes, this guy took the cake. We nearly walked off when he tried to convince James that it's okay to tell your mother, "Chill, Woman," when she corrects you for breaking a pretty common rule. James didn't know how to take the man, and he stood quietly while I stood my ground. When the man told me that kids don't have to ask permission to touch other people's things, the kid stepped back a bit, and the look on his face was a cross between, "I don't want to be near you when the lightning strikes," and "Is this how rabies manifests itself in humans?" The man went on to brag about how he taught his four year old grandson to throw up his hand and say, "Speak to the hand" when the child's mother asked him to come here. I've never seen someone act so gleefully spiteful like that, but he certainly didn't make a positive impression on any of the kids in line with us. Or their mothers. What a jackass. Once we escaped the sociopath clown, however, we had a lovely time.

James did a great impression of a 65-year old Catholic lady on Bingo night. I had to stay at the Bingo Tent while Zorak took Smidge and John fishing because James simply was not going to move. Well, no, that's not accurate. If we'd told him it was time to go, he'd have gone, and he would not have complained. He is very good about that. We just couldn't bring ourselves to do that to him, though. He was in the ZONE, and having an absolute blast. It's not often he finds activities that grab his attention like that - activities that are just for fun, no mathematical work, no cerebral challenge, just fun. Be a kid. Talk with your neighbors. Giggle. Chat. Eat ice cream. That's it, kid, have fun. How could we say no? So, we didn't. And I'm so glad.

John got to fish a while, and on the way out, he fielded a foul ball back to a softball game. The guys were so sweet to him, and you'd have thought he'd been allowed to join in pre-season play for the pros. Man, that was cute. Then he walked right into the wagon as we left because he couldn't peel his eyes off the game. Um, yeah, outfield may not be the position for him...

And that wonderful weather? It held. It was delightful! The air, it moved. The sun, it shone gently. The temperature, it stayed put. Oh, man, this was nice!

Oh, and while I'm at it: THREE CHEERS FOR JIM AND LISA, the MATH-U-SEE reps in Georgia!! I placed my order Tuesday, smack at the height of Panic-Stricken Curriculum Ordering Season, and this afternoon we had a box waiting for us on the porch. Wow, great service, guys!! The boys opened the box, gathered up their new books, and paraded them around with glee. We also got an incredibly clear sentence from Smidge, who pointed to the stack and said, "I want a book like THAT!" Math-U-See: not just for math skills anymore! Yay. :-)

The day ended on a delightful note. There are very few regrets in looking back over the day. Plenty of smiles. A lot of hugs and hand-holding. Tons of giggles, and a lot of working together. It was a good day. A day to savor, and remember.

Off to kiss my babies!
~Dy

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want your outlook on life (and blogging skill). My day would be like:
Went to base picnic.
UPS man came.

You seem to get so much JOY out of every day. How do you do this?
Jennifer

G. said...

Beware the evil clown?! Wow, I guess that guy never actually learned any real jokes. Take back his clown college diploma! ;)

Glad you had fun. Did you guys get any of the storm that is heading up the East coast this weekend?

Anonymous said...

LOL, Jennifer. I've often wondered the same thing about Dy. I've figured it out, though, I think. It's the Hylands. She's found the good bottle in the deluxe kit. I'm about halfway through sampling them all myself, and when I run across the one she hit, I'll post! *grin*

Seriously, Dy, you are a wonder.

Scary clown. Blech.

The Mandatory Fun must be federal legislation that slipped past me, as The Facility Not to Be Named that dh works within had their FunWhetherYouLikeItOrNot week, too. Picnic, dress up/down days (reports home about the dress up days are most amusing)and FunWhetherYouThinkSoOrNot games.

Whoohoo. Families aren't invited though. We get in at Christmas to see Santa and observe the waste of tax dollars and at Easter to hunt eggs and observe the further waste of tax dollars.

H said...

LOL at Jennifer's comment. I feel the same way! (Both about the joy you find in everything, and your ability to write about it so well.) :)

Laney said...

ROFL at the clown!! I'm 35 and clowns *still* freak me out. #shuder#

Dy said...

Y'all are funny - have you not heard me whining (almost incessantly) about summer? No joy in summer, believe me. ;-)

Andie, I'd forgotten, we did get to see the Further Waste of Your Tax Dollars display. It was huge. *sigh*

And I thought everyone knew about taking Hyland's? No? mmmm, good stuff! lol.

Dy

H said...

Now I'm feeling out of the loop. What's "Hyland's?"

mere said...

Here's some camo for Em. *grin*

http://www.arkansasduckhunter.com/bubblesuit.asp

I want to see pictures!

mere

Kathy Jo DeVore said...

Appropriate response to a clown like that: "Hey, Chuckles! How would you like that clown shoe up your ass?" ;) Maybe I've been watching too much of That 70s Show...

I'm with Laney-- clowns freak me out. And Dy, you never sound like you're whining. :)

Mamabird said...

What I want to know is, how does a clown with such obvious authority issues get a gig on a MILITARY BASE???????

Truth is stranger than fiction. (grin)

Loved your post, Dy. Glad it was such a fun day.

Mamabird