Thursday, May 19

Realtor Rant: The Alabama Chapters

Oh, for the love of all things chocolate! What is wrong with these people? Do you have to submit to - and fail - some kind of psychological exam to get your realtor's license? OK, I know that's not true because we've had friends and family who had their real estate licenses and they were perfectly functional and downright pleasant. No, it's something about the magnetic field Zorak and I emit that draws the wonky ones to us, like bugs to a zapper.

So, allow me to fill you in a bit. We came to Alabama. We asked around. We received glowing recommendations on this one realtor. Zorak and I both left his office with her name from three different folks. They LOVED HER! We called her and spoke about our plans. We gave her our parameters: over twenty acres, under $X amount, we plan to do organic agriculture on the place, and we do not like new construction at all - it's not a good thing for us. She clicked, she got it. She was in the game, maaaannn! She even showed us one property that I'd have probably bought on the spot (it was so mountainous and lovely!), but which she pointed out wasn't quite what we wanted unless we planned to raise lopsided cattle with tremendous balancing skills. But it fit all the other criteria, and we really thought we had a winner. We headed back over the wall with great anticipation over the place she would help us find.

She called and said, "I have the place you are going to buy. It is perfect!" This was what I call "the first" - it was the first indication that we'd somehow failed to communicate our desires to this woman. It had less acreage than we wanted. It cost more than the limit we'd set. And the house was built in 2004. I gently explained the, erm, "drawbacks" to this property and how it really isn't what we want - at all. We thought she'd been recalibrated. Evidently you cannot undo a lobotomy.

So she emailed me a listing: even smaller than the first (so we're down to half the acreage)! Even newer than the first (have to work hard to do that)! And about $60 grand more expensive than the first (so now we're at double our original ceiling)!

No, no, nooooo. (And, speaking very slowly, I spelled it out.) How about this one? You know, with this MLS number, in this county, on this road. Can we see this one? It took her fifteen minutes to find the property, even with that information and a computer, but she finally found it and agreed to show us.

Sunday afternoon she picked us up in her shiny 2wd Yukon and drove us an hour north of here to look at a property. 85 acres of land, crappy old house, and in our price range. Perfect! We went with the full intention of being sold on the place. We called her the day before to request she bring a plat and a topo map and to make sure we had access into the house so we could see what condition it's in. That all seems so eerily straightforward, doesn't it? You'd think...

No. There's no lockbox on the house and it's in the middle of nowhere in Alabama, so naturally it was unlocked. But the tenant wasn't home, so we couldn't go in. Well, I'd have gone in, since she swore they knew we'd be there to see the place, but she wouldn't let me in.

Ok, let's look at the property. Oh. You have no topo map? You have no plat? You don't know where the property lines are? Well, here's a pond by the house. Is this part of the property? You don't know... huh. Ok. Barn? No. Pasture? No. Is there anything at all about this place you can tell us?

"YES! There's a back entrance to the property!" So we all hop into the shiny 2wd Yukon (I want you to remember this part) and drive down the road "a ways" (which is a legal definition in the really cool counties to live in!), make a turn and... she doesn't know which gate is the one to the property. And with no plat, no map, and no idea what she's doing... we weren't going to find it, either. We did see a neglected field with tracks running through it. The land was flat pasture. The land was dry, flat pasture. But she can't go down that road, because, "Oh, this is only a two wheel-drive." Good heck, woman! I'd take a Yugo down that road! No no. Let's go home. Would you like to make an offer on that place this afternoon or later this week?

Are. You. Kidding. Me. (No, I'm not joking. She honestly started in with the high-pressure sales pitch. On a property we haven't technically seen. At all. Riiiiight. Sign us up!)

Fast forward to today. Zorak gets off work, we load up in the Suburban (because I had insisted that we drive ourselves, you know, in our 4-wheel-drive vehicle) to go look at the property with the listing agent. Our realtor bailed on us this afternoon, claiming she had "fires to put out". OK, that's fine. The last time we went to walk the property she'd showed up in heels and capri pants. Zorak, the boys and I had jeans and boots, but she made a point of telling me, "And this time, you really need to dress appropriately for getting out and walking around." So, truthfully, I'm not terribly bummed that she isn't going to be there today.

We arrive. We get out there and drive the property. We climb out and walk the property. This lady seems to be a bit more on the ball (but they all seem that way at first, so we're leery). She showed us the barn, the ponds, and... she couldn't show us the house. Oh no. Our agent had told her specifically that we have no interest in the house and not to show it to us. She thought that was a little odd, and double checked, but claims "our" realtor was insistent. So. Um, yeah. We didn't get to see the house again. Like my going from door to door, trying each of them last time wasn't an indicator that I'd like to get in there? As if my nose prints on the grime of each and every window didn't tip her off? What the...??? The listing agent laughed and said, "Well, yeah, I thought it was weird, too, but she was so adamant about it I let it drop."

*sigh*

We need a new realtor. No, what we really need is a cattle prod and a bottle of muscle relaxants. But since that would probably not serve us well when the police confiscated the contents of the Suburban, I am going to have to just get another bottle of Rescue Remedy (I've sucked the last one dry, licking the dropper like a starving kitten) and find something funny in all this.

I wish we knew the secret code of Realtorese that would land us somebody who could help us. It really chaps my hide to think somebody is going to make more off the sale of whatever we buy than Zorak makes in a month - for doing pretty much nothing but irritate me and make me question my sanity. I have sisters who would do that for f-r-e-e, darnit.

There's more, but this is too long already. Now that you're mostly caught up, future Realtor Rants (Alabama Chapters) will be significantly shorter. I'll end tonight with a song, and apologies to Waylon and Willie...

Mamas, don't let yer babies grow up to be realtors.
Realtors ain't easy to like and they're harder to know.
They'd rather string you along to get that place sold,
New berber carpet and fresh painted kitchens
Add to that commission each day.
If you don't like this one, and you won't just buy it,
They'd rather you just go away.

Chorus:
Mamas don't let yer babies grow up to be realtors.
Don't let 'em quote prices and push all them features,
Let 'em be ruthless old lawyers and such.
Mamas don't let yer babies grow up to be realtors.
They're never at home and they're always alone.
Even with interest rates low....

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I am so sorry you are having such trouble with your realtor. I am a realtor in Madison County, but only so that I can list my husband's houses. (He's a builder.) I know a few realtors, but I would hesitate to recommend them for fear that they wouldn't be any better than the one you have!

Renee

L said...

It seems like you can access the Huntsville MLS, though it may only be an abbreviated public version.

Since realtors are mostly interested in pushing their own listings, in order to collect a commission on both sides of the transaction, you might have some luck contacting each individual listing agent for a specific property. Lots more work and you have to be sure when they offer to 'help' you, that you tell them NOT to send you anything on the MLS that's not their listing. That's their sleazy way of getting a commission for doing virtually nothing and if two realtors should happen to mention the same MLS property, oh, how they will fight for their slice of the pie. (I'm imagining your Capri-pants-high-heel-wearin' agent in a cock-fighting ring, wielding her cell phone as she slowly circles her opponent...)

Oh. Where was I?

Does Alabama make you sign with a buyer's agent?

You could always get your license and be the only sincere realtor in town. I'm sure you know the business by now.

Sheila said...

You know the only time we had a good time shopping for a house is when we had two realtors. Each one worked for a differnet company. I was acutally happy that time.

Maybe it'stime for a new realtor.

Did you have to sign a contract?

Dy said...

Oh, Renee, that's a sweet setup! Good for you guys! That's great, and the nice thing is, you know all about the houses, too. Um, hey, since you're new to the blog, too, please know that this is an ongoing joke w/ us - I don't plan to use a cattle prod on anybody. We actually had one realtor in MD REFUSE to show us the ONLY house we actually wanted to see. It's been a wild ride so far.

L - you crack me up!! OMGosh, I won't be able to picture this woman now w/o picturing a cock-fighting ring and hearing "Gallo de Cielo" playing in my head. We may have to switch just b/c I'll be stifling the giggles. Your advice is the same stuff Aunt B suggested (she was a realtor, too - one of the good ones). We'll have to implement this stuff. Thanks.

Sheila- no, we didn't sign anything. At this point, I would buy FSBO rather than use a realtor who expected me to sign on w/ them before they showed me results. We're definitely finding someone new, although I hold very little hope that there will be an improvement. I feel like we've been as clear and concise as possible with what we want, and yet it comes out in Elvish. Smidge could find us the place we want! :-)

Dy

CarolynM said...

Dy, I really sympathize with you! When we bought this place (way too many years ago) we went to "the best realtor in town" who proceeded to show us a succession of dumps, each more expensive than the last. The first one had a kitchen that was literally falling off the back of the house, and the staircase to the second floor was nearly straight up (extremely narrow and steep). It burned to the ground withing the next year from an electrical problem! Another house was a great ranch-style (but waaay above our price range), owned at that time by a large family of an ethnicity foreign to this area (pc enough not to offend anyone?). There were at least 3 generations present in the family, with more beds crammed into that large house than I would have thought possible. Not a problem, I could imagine the rooms without all the beds, but it was still too expensive. Also, the kitchen was FILLED with pots full of an ethnic concoction that emitted an unfamiliar aroma... which I did not find appealing -- and it permeated every square inch of the property (and my clothing and my nose for the rest of the day). No one at home, but the pots were full and hot -- so the family must have been walking around the block waiting for us to leave. I hope your next viewings go better!

Kim said...

Eeek. Sounds like any work you do after you purchase will be far less strenous!

Anonymous said...

SO glad we are past where you are. SO happy you wrote such a hilarious post. Is it wrong for me to find so much joy in your suffering? I was gonna feel guilty but was too busy laughing at . . .

"If you don't like this one, and you won't just buy it,
They'd rather you just go away"

AS you know, in our case, AK got fed up and read so many books on realty that she became a licenseless realtor herself. That really worked for us. When we lowered our expectations of realtors to near zilch, they became more funny than frustrating.

Anonymous said...

Well, on the bright side, you made US happy, lol! Nothing like a good snark to make the internet a better place.

Could you make her sign a contract? For every thousand dollars above your max she owes you a cheesecake. For every place with a new house, she pays you 12 hours of yard work. For every time she makes you drive for a long time to see a house you can't see, she has to buy you a car.

That might make it fun.

Poppins

Anonymous said...

Omigosh! Sarah HAS it!!! You "jokingly" put that in the return email to the realtors who respond to your next round of inquiry emails.

The guy who can read that, laugh, and GET IT, is your guy. or gal.

Amy said...

SEE! I'm NOT the only one who gets a kick out of this! (Notice the shrill panic in my voice, as though I'm starting to believe I cause this.)

I love the idea of Sara's & anon. Put Sara's "sliding scale" in the email. You will definitely find the right person.

Emily said...

I think Willie & Waylon would be proud!!
LOL, REALLY HARD!!

Thom said...

OMGosh! What a pain! Thank goodness you're able to see the humor in the situation. The song had me rolling! LOL!

Laney said...

Umm, I think you missed your calling there, songwriter Sue!!!

ROFL!! High heels and capris!