Saturday, May 21

But it's more than just that. So much more!

Lest you think my days are filled with flipping through the Yellow Pages, searching for a Haitian Church to help with the realtor issues, I thought I'd share a bit about the rest of it.

James, AKA "The Earthworm Midwife", attended a twin birth today. When he came to the door to announce that "it happened again, Mom!" I was stunned and went searching for the camera. By the time I found it, he was happy to report, "It's twins! And they're beautiful!" We did get some cute pictures of James and his patients. We also spent about an hour watching them, and were impressed with the behavior of the mama worm. I'm not sure what I expected, but something akin to attentiveness wasn't on the list.

John rides his bike now with the training wheels seldom touching the pavement. He also goes frighteningly fast for having training wheels on there at all. Have you ever run too fast with a regular old stroller and hit that point where it becomes molecularly unstable? It's scary, and we're worried he's going to have one heck of a crash soon. So we talked with him about how well he's doing and how he balances so well and is really a great biker - general pep talk stuff. "So," I say, in my most enthusiastic voice, "It looks like you're about ready to take off those training wheels, eh?" He pursed his lips and shook his head ever so slightly. "Nope. You see, when I start to tip, it's the training wheels that catch me. If they come off, there will be nothing to catch me, and I don't even want to think about that." Oh. Well, that talk backfired.

Smidge is chunking up, and although I know it's preparation for another growth spurt, it's just so darned cute! His skinny little arms have fat rolls and his other chin reappeared this week. He's got the Buddah Belly going big-time, too. And it is just the kind of cute that makes you sick if you don't have children.

Zorak has found several things here that lead him to believe he's hit Eccentric Engineer's Mecca. (Aunt B, make sure Uncle Fred isn't in the room when you read this!) There is a Harbor Freight Tools - right here in town. The arsenal has some magnificent (just look at the gleam in Zorak's eye) auctions going on right now. And they have a farm-like equivalent to the Dandy Dime or the Thrifty Nickel, which is filled with building supplies, overstocks, weird remnants, tractors, welders... whatever you could want if you're so inclined to make stuff out of other stuff. Zorak can't wait to close on a place and start bidding. I am afraid. Very afraid. (But there is a lot of neat stuff... *shhhh*)

This morning we awoke to the most magnificent thunderstorm. The rain came down in torrents and the breeze was heavenly. The boys and I sat on the patio watching the birds hide in the trees and waiting for the lightning to subside so we could go play in it. (The lightning kept up until the rain stopped, so we didn't venture out, but we did have a lovely time of it.) We look forward to a great weekend together, exploring our new Home Town! Hope you guys enjoy yours, as well.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

3 comments:

Kim said...

Oh, how well I remember those training wheels days. My youngest was just like your little guy. I would be just sick with fear watching him valiantly follow his big brother. We finally made him take the wheels off when he had a major accident, and then he slowed down. Now, he has a scooter on which he goes too fast. What is it with boys and speed?

J-Lynn said...

This is when I'm glad my second child is a girl. She gives me a break in the heart attacks I have with things like bike speed. She has no desire to be as fast as her 2-wheeled brother, but Craig is already expressing frustration and not being able to keep up...LOL Boys are wonderful and scary huh?

The thunderstorm sounds wonderful. We had a big one the other night and we tried to stand on the porch but Craig was really scared. So, while the older kids and I watched a movie in the LR, Craig and George were watching their own "show" in the bedroom. I went in to find their show was theywere both lying on their backs on our bed facing the windows, they had the blinds pulled up and were watching the lightening. :-)

Have a great weekend!

Laney said...

My Jeremy, the middle guy, is a bicycle daredevil! I swear the kid pulls G's when he rides his bike. Because of this, he looks like a POW. big sigh.Unfortunately it just comes with the territory!

My prayers are with you for the house hunting. It amazes me how you have kept your sense of humor! God bless you, Dy!