Wednesday, May 25

Lessons, New Friends, Kinda Quiet

Lessons today were pleasant. The boys are on a roll with their math and Latin. John is writing four spelling words a day now, reading them as he goes. He's so proud of his accomplishment, and he didn't forget nearly as much during the move as I thought he would. His fine motor skills are taking off, as well, and he writes most of his assignments independently. *sniff, sniff* He's growing up.

James is writing letters to friends and family for his daily writing work. They are such a neat way to peek into his mind and see what he deems important enough to share. He desperately needs an actual science outlet. Not so much kits, but books to read. I need to spend some time browsing the library shelves and let him pick the keepers.

The boys lobbied for me to let Smidge watch The BooBahs (or whatever they're called). That took some doing. I'm resistant to change. It still bothers me that the Smurfs aren't on anymore (well, other than in syndication on cable, I know). Barney and the Teletubbies worked their way into my heart, only grudgingly, and only for the smiles they brought my boys. (Smiles and laughter from the boys can convince me to do nearly anything. I'm a sucker for those things.) *sigh* But BooBahs? Not only do I not do change well, I don't do weird change well. But Smidge really enjoys it, and I do get to read aloud with the boys without being attacked by the Atomic Elbow of the Stunted Screaming Yeti. So, I suppose they will stay. Fortunately, they're on while we do lessons. :-)

Our church held its last Wednesday night supper and Bible study of the year. We made it, had a wonderful time, and are seriously bummed that they break over the summer. The boys had a blast. I mean an all-out, filled to the gills, fantastic time. The children from their Sunday School class came running and they were off. That was neat. Even Zorak didn't find it too painful. At one point, he nodded his head emphatically at something the pastor said. I looked at him and whispered, "Are you mocking him?" He said, "No. He's right on." Oh. *awkward pause* "I'm sorry I thought you were mocking him." He smiled, "No, it's ok. Normally I would have been." So it looks like we've found a church home! Yippee!

That's about it. Today was a series of phone calls and information gathering. I did get James in for allergy screening the same day as John (I thought we'd have to trade them, but we lucked out and got a spot later in the day!) I made zero progress on getting Smidge on the grid or figuring which health plan to pick (they're all equally useless for our needs), but I did make headway with tags and driver's licenses. In all, that's productive! Not thrilling, but productive. I'll take that.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

4 comments:

melissa said...

o.k. I guess that I am now officially the mother of "older kids"; What the h*ll is "Boobah"??

Good job on getting the errands accomplished! Looks like you're diggin' in to stay.

Sooooo funny about Zorak at church! How long did it take you to be able to pick up on his mocking when you guys met? That cracks me up!

Anonymous said...

Those BooBahs scare the bejeebers out of me, I had the TV on early one morning and got goosebumps when I heard their mournful call of "Booooobaaahhhhh".

Sheila said...

Add me to the "totally creeped out by the Boobahs" group. Baby Sam loves them though. I have to leave the room.

Cool about the new church. you have motivated me to attempt a Sunday service this weekend.

I hope you figure out what is causing the "eye-popping-thing" soon. you seem much calmer about it than I would be.

Emily said...

I too find the BooBah's creepy! LOL!! But what is creepier is the way the boys stop and stare when the advertisement comes on. They are in a trance for 30 seconds. And whoever said "...mournful call of "Booooobaaahhhhh" nailed it. ROFL!!

James may be too old for these, or may know it all already, but I bought the entire set of Childcraft How and Why Library books, 70's edition (same ones I had as a kid) for the boys. THEY LOVE THEM! Even little W does not tire of the animals book. There are 16 volumes full of science stuff.
I found ours on eBay (of course) for $9.99.