Wednesday, May 18

Good morning, all!

Well, it's Wednesday. I can't believe our week is half-over. And I have no idea what we'll do for the weekend. The boys and I cleaned the Suburban yesterday. We worked for two hours to get all the peripherals of moving removed from inside. Then we vacuumed. It was well worth it! Funny how something so simple can make such a big difference.

The boys and I are heading out this morning to explore a bit, hit the market (I feel like we're hitting the market a little too often, but then I remember we're restocking an entire home with food... and three boys eat a lot of food. Ahh, yes, that's better.) Then we'll go hiking or to the park.

I cannot tell you how absolutely gorgeous the weather has been this week! I may wait until after September, but I just might get a weather pixie. (Gotta wait because the humidity information is something I just don't need to be reminded of every time I sit down at the computer.) At any rate, I'd planned to take the boys swimming this week, but it simply hasn't been hot enough to warm the pools. Yes, a heated pool is a waste of energy, but it's oh-so-nice!

I think we're meeting the Realtor this afternoon at the property we've been looking at. Supposedly, she's now found someone who knows where the property boundaries are and has the legal survey on hand to prove it. (It's 84 acres. No, it's 95. I don't think that pond next to the house geso with the house. I have no idea where the eastern boundary ends...) Yeah, that'd be nice, considering the Realtor is already pushing us to put in an offer on the property (b/c, don't ya know, "someone else is also looking at the property" - isn't there always someone else looking at property in real estate? *groan*). Um, well, you see, we would like to know what we're buying, specifically, before we agree to a 30-year serfdom on the place.

The Mistress has been earning her keep, but now she's developed a hole in her diaphragm. We have a few sets of those on order. Zorak rebuilt the carburetor last night in the kitchen so he could get to work this morning. That's when he found the offending parts. Spiffy new o-rings and all manner of non-gooky new parts later and she started up this morning, but he thinks the diaphragms may be what's causing her to idle high when she gets warm. I found last night I didn't resent her need for attention nearly as much as before. Perhaps that's because the ratio of effort:results has shifted since we've been here? At any rate, Zorak was very happily getting into the Zen of his Motorcycle Maintenance. And I enjoyed watching him work. That's a rhythm I've missed terribly over the last year and a half. It's one we hope to recapture and this time, keep.

Lessons are going well, and we're enjoying the newfound pace and feel of that, as well. Everything, actually, just feels very "right". It's not perfect, but it's headed that way. Or rather, it's headed toward the point we'd like to reach - not perfection, but contentment - contentment in it's happiest form. It feels good to be headed that way.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

4 comments:

Gem said...

You can always tell the realtor "Maybe you should find out where they are getting their survey information. If it's no better than what you're giving us, they're not likely to make an offer before we do!"

Kim said...

Hope it all goes well with you. Your idea of going out with your kids and exploring is making me itchy to be outside. I think dd and I are going to go shoe shopping while the boys are at piano lessons.

Anonymous said...

Regarding Mistress: High idle = lean condition. Only when warm = some plastic or rubber piece failing only when hot/soft. Inspect air ducts and manifolds for cracking (if it needed a carb clean it's sat around enough to dry out/crack), especially if you can make the high idle come & go by wiggling one of the carbs. If you had the diaphrams out, you'd know if they are torn. They tear at the outer edge, so be caaareful when removing them. Do your Bings have lots of dried brown goo on the very top? Some is normal. If there is a lot that may be your leak. If I remember, there is no seal or o-ring to replace but you can clean it up and put silicone there. I'm sorry if Zorak already checked/knows these things. But I'm new at homeschooling, new at Handymanning -- I am desperate to help someone using what I DO know how to do!

Please forward any head-scratchers Z might run into? Solving head-scratchers is what Honda used to pay me to do!

Kathy Jo DeVore said...

Hey, Ernie used to have a copy of Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, too. :D I don't believe I've ever seen anyone else make a reference to it.

We have the same thing going on with the grocery shopping trips. It seems like every few days, someone goes to the store and spends an outrageous amount of money, but it still feels like we have no food in the house. I'll be glad when we're properly stocked.

Glad y'all are settling in nicely. :)