Tuesday, July 6

Three Days' Worth of Blogging

We have been absolutely BUSHED! Our wonderful Saturday get together was followed by a day of historical and political discussions with the boys and a picnic on the beach Sunday to enjoy the lightning bugs and watch the fireworks over the water. Monday all the neighbors gathered again for another BBQ on the Green... we got up early, ran hard all day, and went to bed far too late. It was a fun weekend, but terribly exhausting for all of us.

Today was errand day: mailed the paperwork to have my death rescinded, paid some bills, organized some files, had lessons, hit the library, tried some CPR on the kitchen (after all it went through this weekend, it was lookin' rather haggard today!)

Just to touch on the highlights:

*Library Trip*

I took with me to the library a list with 45 titles to look for, as well as eight specific authors. Not a one of them is in the tri-county system. At one point, the librarian asked me, "Are these graduate level books you're looking for?" Um, no. They are popular sellers, actually. Others are classics. *sigh* She was, however, wonderfully kind, and went out of her way to find me one wayward copy of The Hobbit- large print, but it'll work.

James signed up for the summer reading program at the library. He's excited about it. It's designed to be four "quests", and each child has up to one week to fulfill each quest. The lady at the desk was concerned that we're beginning a week behind the others- she didn't think he would be able to get caught up. (?) Here is Quest 1:
1) Visit the library and pick up Summer Reading Materials.
2) I read for _____ minutes today. (date/initial)
3) I read a magazine or newspaper. (date/initial)
4) I read a favorite fairy tale. (date/initial)
5) I read with a friend or pet today. (pet??? ok...) (date/initial)
6) I asked a librarian to help me. (date/initial)


Each task need only be done once. I'm actually really glad this program exists, because if these are the things that are on the goals list, then that indicates children just aren't doing them regularly. That makes me so sad. Other items include (each one is not listed in each quest, and none are required to be done regularly or at a minimum): tell a friend about a good book, read a story and draw a picture about it, read before bed, read with family, read a nonfiction book, learn an interesting fact, read outdoors.

It's a good start. I just hope parents will keep the ball rolling once the kitschy incentives are all gone...

James is done with Quest 1, except for reading to a friend or pet. He couldn't get the neighbor's 2yo to sit still long enough for a story, and I couldn't convince him to read to the quadruplegic spider that lives in our bathroom. :-D

*Schooling*

Plugging along and having a wonderful time reading, walking, singing, and learning. I just can't imagine doing things any other way for us. What a great life.

*Maryland*

MaryJo- thank you for your note. We really do like it here! Honest. I realize that with my blog, my strongest posts tend to be the ones that I type out from atop my soapbox in irate indignation over the latest B.S. from Big Brother MD. However, yes, Maryland is a lovely, lovely place. It's a beautiful state (if a bit swampy down south, but no terrain is perfect!). The people are incredibly friendly. The activities, the history, the museums and aquariums, the community... there is much about Maryland that is wonderful. (I can't quite do the crabs, but the boys LOVE them!) We are very thankful that we are here and could think of quite a few places where we'd be worse off. My only (and biggest, by default, I guess) gripe with Maryland is the incredible level of government intrusion that this state has. It's unbelievable! Perhaps it does not feel that way to someone who has lived here for years and has seen the changes come gradually, with time, but for one who comes in from other, more Freedom-oriented, states, it's quite a shock to the nervous system. If the crime was lower, or the schools better, or even the pollution less due to all this extra money (taxation) and regulation and intervention than it is in the other states, perhaps that would help. But it's not. So, yes, the government rule here in Maryland has been a pretty large lump for me to chew, and believe me, I certainly have been made to feel the anarchist freak in more than one situation thus far. But that's what voting and talking and recruiting and letter writing... in a phrase, "grassroots efforts" are for, right? ;-)

It's not the place we want to live forever, but that doesn't mean it's not a pretty nice place to live. Just as some people wouldn't want to live in Chicago in the winter, or in the Southwest during 118 degree summers, it's not a reflection on the people or the culture or the place, it's just a preference of the heart, and our hearts are in the Rockies. Anyhow, please don't feel that I don't like it here, or that we are blind to the good that MD has to offer. We are very much enjoying our time here, and I promise to blog more about that in the future. Thanks for your note, and for dropping by! :-)

And on that note, I am off to read my latest stash from the library: Anastasia, the Lost Princess, and The Hobbit in large print! :-) Have a wonderful night, all!

Dy

No comments: