Saturday, July 31

Oh, those amazing moments~

Had several today:

James has mastered several knots and spent a great deal of time trying to teach me how to make knots. I am a poor student, but he is an enthusiastic and patient teacher (thankfully). He's getting a better grasp on his temper, but unfortunately he now bursts into tears more frequently. He should not have been the eldest child. He's so sensitive, and comprehends so much... and we do not always realize that he is still such a little guy. We are doing better, though. One incident at a time, one breath at a time. More hugs, more snuggles, more eye contact. He's doing better, and so are we.

Jacob absolutely wore himself out tonight and hit the hay an hour early after chasing The Brothers and Zorak 'round and 'round the house after supper. He's pretty quick for a temporary quadruped. Zorak pretended he was going to eat the Smidget and The Brothers bounded to the rescue, as it were. (Poor Zorak, he got pummeled.) At one point, Zorak said he was going to eat John, and what do you know- The Smidget came to the rescue! Growling like a bear cub (in between fits of laughter that literally paralyzed him and sent him sprawling), he climed Zorak and wrangled him to the ground. Ta-Da! Our hero. He also thoroughly enjoyed an extended game of peek-a-boo with anyone who would play as he hid behind the coffee table and popped up to yell BOO!

John invented a few new games today and spent a while trying to teach me how to play. Um, again I say, I'm a poor student. I also got hit in the face pretty regularly with the Beanie Bear he lobbed at me. He thought it was great fun and didn't mind that he thoroughly trounced me in his version of Calvin Ball (which I'm certain it was, because I still don't know what the rules were!)

*drum roll please* After umpteen failed attempts and the frustration of untold mentors who have attempted to teach me the craft, I think I have mastered the single crochet! WooHoo! I can't tell you what I was doing wrong, and certainly couldn't pinpoint what I'm doing differently now, but I can feel it (well, and see it in the samples). Just as I can tell in the split second I loose the bowstring whether my aim is true, I can tell in the feel of the needle as it slips in and out of the stitches whether I've got the stitch. Now, only how many more of the basics before I can make a "simple blanket"? I have two goals with this project: to make a blanket for Gram in appreciation of her time and patience trying to teach me to crochet, and also to get to a point where it's actually somewhat (partially? I'll settle for remotely at this point!) relaxing. I need a relaxing hobby that doesn't involve having to find a sitter for the boys. At least until they're old enough to hunt with me.

And how is your weekend going?

~Dy

No comments: