Thursday, December 4

Well, that didn't work.

I'd written two separate posts, intending to use the auto-post feature for one to show up later. Since it's sitting there, you can tell I botched it. However, the first post is this one.

We had the most AMAZING experience today, in a neat little town.

Arab, AL (It's pronounced /AY-rab/, too - not /air-ub/. I thought, when we first got here, that it was an accent thing, but it's not.)

We wanted to check out Warehouse Discount Groceries to see if we could garner savings there worth adding the drive to our regular monthly trip. The prices weren't that great - higher, actually, than a few of our regulars (The Pig, Foodland, Aldi) - however, the service was TO DIE FOR. Everybody there was helpful, friendly, gracious. EVERYBODY. Even the customers were nice. The building is older, but the store is delightfully clean. The produce is good. They have large canned foods! We plan to go back.

Since they didn't have a few things we needed, we stopped at the Supercenter Wal-Mart there in Arab. Ooh, my. It was like shopping at Wal-Mart back when Sam Walton was still alive! I was stunned when we asked one employee if they had any little girl gloves in stock and she helped us find them! And when another employee overheard me telling the boys that I'd like to see if they had turtlenecks in the boys' section, and she volunteered that she didn't get any in this season... wow. Most of the time, they'll just let you hunt until your shoulders hunch over and one eye swells up.

You could have absolutely knocked me over with a whisper, though, when that same lady tracked us down in the diapers section, holding several turtleneck sweaters in different colors, to tell me that she did have some in the girls' section, but, as I could see, they weren't feminine-looking, and would that possibly work for me? I hope I didn't seem rude, as it took me a while to answer her while my brain ran through the possibilities -- 1) maybe she doesn't actually work here, she's just bored, or lonely, 2) she's a stalker, 3) it's part of a huge plan to coax me into feeling comfortable so someone else can hoark my wallet -- But NO, no. It was all legit.

We were asked more times than I can count if we were finding everything okay, if we needed any help, and if there was anything they could do for us.

The people shopping there were so nice and gentle. It was fantastic. I felt like those kids in Disney commercials look. Just all wide-eyed and grinning.

And when it was time to go, there was NO waiting in the checkout aisles.

The lady who worked at the register we ended up in was nice. And she smiled at us. Do you know how long it's been since anyone employed by Wal-Mart has voluntarily smiled at us? I had to tell her what a truly delightful experience shopping there had been that day. And I told the lady at the door, and the manager. And I'm about to write to corporate and tell them that whatever the folks in Arab have going on, everybody should get them some!

As much as we love our little piece of earth, I found myself today wondering what houses in Arab are going for...

7 comments:

Dawn E said...

Great post, Dy! Almost makes me want to move to Arab, too. :) It's just good to know that at least one such Wal-Mart exists.

Anonymous said...

I went to Target yesterday, in our new little town, and had a similar experience. Lots of people asking me if I needed any help. Friendly service at the checkout lane too. I didn't even mind having to wait for the one person in front of me, because I was sipping my hot Caramel Apple Cider I picked up at the Starbucks inside Target before I started shopping. (I won't tell you I spilled it all over my face in the greeting card department - that's a whole other story that was entirely MY fault.) I'm so clumsy sometimes!

~dawn

Anonymous said...

Where's the nearest airport? I gotta see and experience this!

I love smiling, helpful service. Sigh...

Greetings from one of the north and west of Arab communities,

Pamela

Jenni said...

That's so nice to hear! At my Walmart, employees usually can see the question in your eyes (or maybe they smell it?) from aisles away and they RUN the opposite direction. There is one lady who works in the food section that is *super* helpful though. And even if the deli workers are slow, I always get better treatment because I smile and say please and thank you.

Jennie C. said...

Hey! We have one of those here, too! There's a really big Walmart in E-town, but it's like every other Walmart I've ever been to. The smaller one in Radcliff, though...well, I'm loving shopping there, yes I am.

Konkadoo said...

Wal-Mart? This was a Wal-Mart? I don't think I believe you. It's far too off from reality. You're just funnin' with us.

I don't care what part of the country you're in, Wal-Mart has that good "cheap junk" thing really going for it, but the friendly thing? Nope.

Did I tell you my dad was knocked over in a Wal-Mart on Black Friday this year? Yikes.

Kathyb1960 said...

My sister works for a W/M in North Texas, and I passed your report on to her. They always like to hear good reports of other stores! LOL She's worked for W/M for 25 years or so.

I just started reading your blog a week or so ago, and I love reading about your family and all about you redoing your house...especially when you were 9 mos pregnant with EmBaby!

Kathy in West Texas