Tuesday, March 2

Wow, it's March!

We had a wonderfully full weekend, and thankfully beautiful weather (relatively speaking - the wind was pretty bitter, at some points) in which to enjoy it. Pinewood Derby Saturday morning, company for lunch, baseball practice Saturday afternoon, more company for supper. It was a truly fantastic day, but I think I'm fighting something off, because I slept until NOON on Sunday. Dead. To. The. World. God bless cold cereal and good books, or the kids would have been in a world of hurt when they got up (at the crack of ten). We spent the remainder of Sunday finishing up projects and planning for Spring.

EmBaby is getting so big! And so funny, out on the swing, in her pink helmet and fairy wings. Me-Wa is convinced she should wear them to games. I'm afraid she'll overhear him and actually try it.

John's glad to be back in baseball, even though practices have all been in held in the bitter cold. And now that he's a Big Kid, his team gets the late practice slots. 7PM at the beginning of March is pretty dark. Last night, it was cold and dark. Zorak took pity on me and took him, since he had to have James at Scouts, just up the road.

Jacob can... actually field a ball! We have no clue when he learned to do that, but it was pretty cool to see at practice yesterday. He is, however, still completely entranced with his cleats and what they can do to the infield dirt. So, there's that.

We have more snow. Again. Cold, cold, cold. I've decided I need to have all my wood for the winter gathered by August, and split by September. With any luck at all, I won't have to wield an axe at all next winter. When I get a little stash going on the porch, all production comes to a standstill (because we *have* wood, see?), and nobody picks up the pace to keep the pile going. So then, there I am, next morning, splitting wood and muttering grouchy mutterings under my frozen breath. What a dumb way to spend the winter!

And lest anyone feel the need to point out that I have young men to help, they do help. They help tremendously. But have you *seen* James? He has no lumberjack blood anywhere in his DNA. He goes out there and spends four hours, working his tail off, to split four pieces of wood. I appreciate his fortitude, but we'd freeze to death if we had to wait for him. John has a little Mountain Man DNA, and he can swing an axe like a mad man, but he's nine... do you have any idea how easily distracted a 9yo is? So, they load, they haul, they move. They're very helpful, but they don't get me out of splitting duty on cold winter mornings, when we've run low on wood. I just need to get better about planning and prepping. It'll come. We've figured out so much, already, I know we'll get the hang of this, too.

And on that note, today is a blissfully uneventful day. The snow makes it pretty, and we have some catching up to do on school. The wood's split. Breakfast dishes are clean, and it's time to make some tea and cookies and settle in with some good books.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

4 comments:

Heidicrafts said...

How was this year's Pinewood Derby? Fun had by all?

Dy said...

It was, Heidi. The boys had a great time - Zorak has some video I hope to get from him tonight and I'll upload it. They were all excited and had a delightful time.

We've heard from a few of the boys from other Packs who'd come to the house to work on their cars, and they really enjoyed learning more about what makes cars go and how to do it. That was, I think, one of the best things about this year. It's always fun to see the light go on, and the eyes sparkle!

Laney said...

Joe came in 12th in the Pinewood this year. We were thrilled! We have never even come close to the top forty, LOL!

Glad baseball is going well.:-)

Dy said...

Laney, that's AWESOME!!! Congrats to the boys!!