Thursday, February 25

Out of the Gate

Aren't the baseball pros still down in Florida for their training? (Or preparing to head to Florida, once it warms up down there...) It was *below freezing* when we left practice tonight. That's just too cold to be sitting on metal bleachers, I don't care where you live, or how Viking your ancestors were. (And mine were not. My family seems to hail from some semi-arid region, and is of a culture that does not engage in outdoor activity beyond certain very comfortable parameters.)

But the boys? Happy as frozen clams. "Did you see how I was catching tonight, Mom?" "Did you see that throw, Mom?" "Did you remember to blink often so your eyeballs didn't freeze open, Mom?" Yes, honey, yes, I did.

I also remembered coats, scarves, and hot chocolate. (That's right, folks! I'm not the neglectful mother, this year! Let me know where to forward the Banner of Shame.) Yet three hours later, my pinky toes are still so cold, they burn. How embarrassing would it be to get frostbite from sitting on my butt at the park!

Tomorrow is JakeRabbit's first practice. Supposed to be just as cold. I wonder how awkward it would be to take a couch cushion, since I don't have a stadium chair?

At least Zorak will be home, so the Littlest Ones don't have to go, too. And tonight, we came home to fresh chili and a fire! Really, it all evens out quite nicely. Happy kids, full bellies, and eventually, warm toes.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

3 comments:

shannon said...

since the majority of baseball practices and about half our games are played in the snow/freezing rain and bitter temps here let me know if you need tips! here's a free one - sometimes (some fields) it IS possible to watch practice form the warmth of the van!

Dy said...

LOL, Shannon! I thought of that, but realized I'd parked in front of the wrong field! You'd think, by now, I would know which field is which, wouldn't you?

Wanna guest blog with tips for cold weather sport parenting? :-) Lemme know, it would be awesome!

melissa said...

Yeah. Just go ahead and buy the stadium seat. It is an investment. Have you COUNTED how many kids you have playing??? get the seat. ;-)