Monday, February 1

It's February?

Wow. Didn't see that coming.

I've given in to the fact that although I crave time ALONE, I function better and am a much more civil human being if I actually get some sleep. So far, I haven't convinced myself that time asleep counts as time alone, so we're still hashing that out, my inner Introvert and I. Also, no blogging. No picture editing. No writing. No building-of-interesting-things. Something's gotta give, or there'll be a mutiny of bizarre proportions. Unfortunately, it seems winter is the time that it's hardest for me to carve out that time to myself.

February bring daffodils and buds on the dogwoods. It brings pruning time and planning time. And, eventually, the sun will rise before noon, which will help. The master bedroom only gets the very early morning sun, and that only comes through the window in the door. So, when the sun comes up later, it's a lovely little cave. A sensual hidey-hole, perhaps? Well, not with five kids. With children stealing the covers and emitting body heat in exchange, I open my eyes just long enough to peek at the window and tell myself it's still two in the morning, then roll over and go back to sleep, never quite registering the digital display that proves my sense of time to be so poorly calibrated.

So, it's a season of life, and all that jazz. I get it. Still, there's got to be a way to get sleep, tend to the needs of the Zorak (this week, he needs me to paint the new wall in the basement -- quit being dirty-minded), keep the kids fed and relatively tick-free, the house below DefCon 3, the education going, and still be left alone long enough to write, think, read. Don't have a *clue* what it is, yet, but it's got to exist. That's what keeps me going, sometimes.

But most of the time, what keeps me going is this:



And if I blink, let alone wander off too much, I'll miss it!

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

4 comments:

Emily (Laundry and Lullabies) said...

I have the exact same time alone/sleep trade off problem. If you solve it, let me know. :)

Enjoy the upcoming garden planning! I'm waiting to see if my winter/spring pea crop is actually going to grow. I planted it right before a RAIN STORM OF GIGANTIC PROPORTIONS (well, at least for Sunny SoCal - we're kind of wussy about rain) so I'm not sure if any of them survived. :)

Amy said...

It's so hard, isn't it? I truly believe all the people who say we won't regret 1 second I spent with those I love when I'm on my deathbed. I don't think I'll look back and say I should have spent more time reading instead of playing with my kids.

But, doggone it, that's a long way off, and sometimes I just like to be ALONE!


But you're right it'll be easy to miss if we're not careful. No blinking allowed.

Gail said...

Being the sort of person who gets totally sidetracked by trivia, I read the phrase, "keep the house below DEFCON 3" and started pondering that DEFCON 1 means we're actually at war, while DEFCON 5 is normal peacetime readiness. So keeping the house at something numerically lower than DEFCON 3 would mean keeping things more like the bathroom about 3 feet from where I'm sitting, which is having the tile and concrete smashed off the floor in such a way that we're able to pretend we're actually on a battlefield when we're trying to read history while the workers are here.

But maybe that's not what you meant. Um, what was the question?

(I think I might need some alone time, too. Alone without any contractors in the house.)

Dy said...

Gail, that's hilarious! And sadly, probably more accurate of the actual results.

Hang in there. I know we get exhausted doing all this, but I think it's more stressful to have contractors in and out of the house. Have a soothing cup for me, okay? (But you're going to *love* it when it's done!)