Monday, December 14

Twelve Days of Christmas

I know. I'm late already. Or unreasonably early, depending on when you opt to observe them. But my goal is to blog daily for twelve days straight. Not exactly a habit-making goal, but... well, considering Smidge is standing here, talking to me while I type, and that they've been like this (all of them. I do mean ALL of them...) for the last month and a half, it looks like I'm going to have to suck it up and learn to write while people talk to me.

We're in the throes of Christmas preparations. Really, it's going well. I think. Won't really have any idea until Christmas Eve, when I'm wrapping presents and discover I've completely forgotten gifts for one child, or bought R-rated movies for the toddler, or something equally absurd. But for now, I'm feeling good.

I'd hoped to do cards this year. But we all fell ill immediately upon returning from our Thanksgiving trip, and it took us two full weeks to recover from that. So, no-go on the cards. Didn't even do my annual routine of sending the file to Target so they could mess it up for me. This year, it's all on me.

The tree, however, is up, the garland is hung (I have yet to find the extension cords to light up the garland, so it's dark, but still, it's up). We got that done and EmBaby looked around and announced, "OK! We're ready for Christmas now!" The boys pointed out that we have yet to make any of our regular edible goodies. I thought about the gifts I hadn't bought yet. Zorak refused to make eye contact because he knew what I was thinking. We all clapped and cheered, anyway, figuring we could make it up as we go.

And, that's what we've been doing all month! I got most of the gifts bought before inspiration truly struck. Then Zorak said Granny had called to let us know she was sending shopping money for gifts. Total bonus - Granny's going to do REALLY WELL this year, since all the truly inspired gifts are coming from her.

How about you guys? Are you ready for Christmas? (Or Solstice? Or, how was your Hanukkah?)

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

3 comments:

Bridget said...

I so need to get back to blogging, I really miss doing it but I DON'T HAVE TIME. But then I read your blog with the littles and I don't have little littles anymore so I need to just make time.
We always forget to wrap something and during the week after Christmas is magically appears and someone is always very excited about the fact that they now have an "extra" present. It's a big joke in our house.

Dy said...

LOL Bridget! I know - we found two etch-a-sketches in the master bath when we pulled everything out to finish it. They were from... um, 2007, I think? *cringe*

You'll have to blog about this year's "extra" present! See, a topic just waiting for a story!

mere said...

I think your goal is swell!

I, too need to start blogging more. I did post yesterday. I'd be happy to post once a week at this point! Maybe I'll follow your lead here and do just that.

mere