Wednesday, December 16

Just a Wednesday

The kids had music today, which meant a trip into Town. Since it's such a haul into Town (no, it's not really, but it feels like it is), we try to hit as much as possible while we're there. That means groceries, car wash, random weird errands.

It worked quite well back when the boys were in piano for an hour, but now that we're on the Quirky Cheap Parent Schedule (hyphenate as you see fit), and they alternate piano/guitar each week, they're only there for half an hour. This only leaves me time to... um, well, grab a McCafe or something and then go back to the music store. Em no longer naps during this time, but Jase is usually out before we cross Flint River, and stays that way until the boys clamber back in the car, so I'm not up for waking him, just to haul him into the building full of breakable expensive things. As you can see, we're still working out the details of the new schedule.

Generally, I have a Master List of things to accomplish, and imaginary highlighter marks on the ones I *hope* to accomplish. We hurry and scurry and go-go-go, only to get home and discover I need a new highlighter or something, because I've completely spaced a good quarter of the things on the hopefuls list. Today it was a meat thermometer. And somehow, although I've gone 37 years without one (generally preferring my meat to be nowhere near well-done, at all), we suddenly NEEDED one. Because Zorak smoked his first turkey, and the whole poultry thing, combined with using what amounts to an inefficient oven perched on your front porch, in the middle of the day... yeah, a thermometer would have been rather comforting today.

However, it was a small turkey. The smoker stays at 200 degrees, and it'd been going all day. Plus, we didn't have any guests. So, we decided to go for it. (If I don't blog for a few days, you'll know how that went.) It did taste delicious, though!

The boys picked pan-fried potatoes and steamed broccoli for the sides. (We've been playing around with Kosher Salt lately, after watching Alton Brown rave about it, and nom! nom! it does wonders for cooking!)

We ate at the coffee table, watched Open Season 2, and enjoyed the somewhat tenuous fruits of our labor. (Royal "our", of course. I pretty much had nothing to do with it, other than bailing on the thermometer.)

We're planning our Christmas meal, and Zorak thinks he'd like to smoke a turkey for one of the main dishes. That sounds good. And I've got a new list going, with one item on it, already.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you guys fried a turkey yet? So yummy and a very Southern thing to do. In Mississippi we did ours out in the driveway-very classy, I know.
Jennifer

Jules said...

Yummy smoked turkey! We used to have a smoker that we would do turkey with. It was always sooo good.
Hmmm... now that I think of it, I don't know whatever happened to that thing! And I want to smoke a turkey! Tonight! :)

Dy said...

Jennifer, we haven't done that, yet. No fryer. :-( I wish somebody would fry one and invite us over, though - we'd be there. But you know, I can't knock the driveway idea, at all. Aside from the total lack of flammable things (like a house), there's the added perk that nothing says, "Hey! We're having fun and eating well!" quite like cooking in the drive.

Jules, I hope you find it. We had the other half (when did we start eating an entire *half* a turkey in one sitting???) Anyway, we had the rest for lunch today, and it was so much better today, even. WOW!