Wednesday, May 20

Productivity and Ruts

Sometimes, I have no idea how we accomplish anything at all. It's just sort of a mystery, to be honest. And yet, we had a productive day, and are looking to have a productive rest-of-the-week. It's a mystery I'll take!

The mower is now working again. So says Zorak. I will believe it when I've mowed more than a quarter acre with it and haven't broken it (again). Why, yes, I am starting to develop a bit of a complex regarding my effect on lawn equipment. Bless him, he says it's not my fault. Every woman should have a man who is willing to say that. Even if there is nothing to indicate that it's true. It's still Very Sweet of him.

Speaking of my Very Sweet Man, I need some summer meal ideas. Normally, we have a full repertoire that we enjoy eating, enjoy preparing, the whole shebang. But lately? Meh. On all counts.

When I have a plan for supper, it usually leaves Zorak thinking he should have hit the buffet for lunch that day. He is never, ever ungracious about it, but you can just feel the disappointment radiating from the phone as he manages to choke out, "Oh. Yeah. That'd be fine." It's deflating, for both of us.

Of course, when I figure we'll just wait 'til he gets home and then figure it out, that's the day something exploded at work, or didn't get signed in triplicate, or whatever, and he never had a chance to eat lunch. (Considering he does not eat breakfast, this means he arrives home ready to eat laminate flooring and wash it down with cold bathwater, if necessary.) Also somewhat deflating.

If this could reasonably be called "a rut", we are stuck in it. I suspect we are too close to it (or not hungry enough yet) to sort through it quickly and subjectively. Everything we came up with that sounded remotely good for the next two weeks' menu centered on wintery, thick, body-warming meals. Probably not "just the thing" for heading into Southern Summer. So I thought I would beg for help from my fantastic readers.

Help?

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

8 comments:

Gail said...

Dh is allergic to practically everything, which means we eat the same thing every single week. We've already switched to our summer rotation:

Monday: grilled chicken, rice, vegetable
Tuesday: grilled fish, french fries
Wednesday: homemade tacos
Thursday: grilled chicken or bison burgers
Friday: still a hold out from cool weather -- homemade pizza -- will switch to something grilled soon

Laura said...

What sort of food does he like? Steve's pretty picky, but I can never go wrong with anything grilled (chicken, London Broil, pork chops) served with a salad and fruit and bread. That's pretty much our supper menu all summer long. Occasionally I'll throw in fried rice (made with leftovers) or homemade calzones or pizzas, but typically we use the grill all summer.

Emily (Laundry and Lullabies) said...

We've been enjoying a very simple meal of cheese/crackers (a variety) with fruit and salad. Easy, healthy, and very summer-friendly. Often we'll eat it outside.

We also like grilling chicken and having chicken caesar salads. Yum!

I think salads are really the way to go in the summer. Fruit salad and fresh bread...

Now I've made myself hungry. Time for breakfast. :)

Meliss said...

Here is a quick and easy stew: http://oursidehomeschool.blogspot.com/2006/08/summer-squash-stew.html

Fun way to eat grilled pork chops: http://oursidehomeschool.blogspot.com/2006/08/balsamic-berry-basil-pork.html , but I also like to eat pork with a bit of barbecue sauce and sauerkraut.

When London Broil is on sale, I marinate it in Italian dressing overnight. It is usually done after being grilled only 20 minutes (still pink in center) and sliced thin at an angle. We often eat it with roasted red peppers and yellow squash or zucchini.

Here are my two current favorite salads:
http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/lime-peanut-coleslaw-recipe.html

http://oursidehomeschool.blogspot.com/2007/07/black-bean-mango-salsa.html

I don't know if any of these will fit the bill for you. I have a lot of our favorite recipes linked at the bottom of my sidebar.

Needleroozer said...

Yes, we do lots of grilled meat, accompanied by roasted veggies, and/or a salad. Roasted meat on a salad is really good. PRobably my standard.

Also, cold soups (gazpacho, cucumber soup, melon soup) and bread are a good one, and something you can cook ahead and have in the fridge ready to go.

Also, light soups- pho' is really good and easy, and rice noodle soups are easy too.

I can give you specifics or more ideas later. I have tons.

Dy said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you! Great ideas, and I think it helped me get over the brainlock. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Hey Dy,

What my family likes is broiled chicken thighs (for the boys I use Prudhomme Poultry seasoning and for adults I use chipotle seasoning. I slather them also with olive oil.

With that we have a salad of some kind and then homemade alfredo sauce.

Another favorite is the Zuppa Toscana soup from Olive Garden. Yummm. Here's the link:
http://www.tuscanrecipes.com/recipes/olive-garden-zuppa-toscana.html

~julie aka sdWTMer

Anonymous said...

What about taking the grilled meat, whatever you have, we do chicken a lot, sometimes just marinated in salsa or salad dressing, and put in tacos, tortillas, pitas or pasta salad.
Deli meat works too.

Another good summer item is home made chicken tenders, chicken strips or pieces, rolled in beaten egg and bread crumbs, bake at 350 for 25 minutes or until done, keep in fridge, pull out for snacks, chop and put on salad, in pitas, roll ups, pitas etc.

Does your family like tuna? Is lefse familiar? Tuna or chicken salad in pitas or spread on lefse is great.

Side salads of whatever is in the garden or fruit market. Chopped fruit with a little yogurt or mayo/lemon juice to make a dressing, coleslaw, bean salads… Ahhh…now I am “peckish”

Thanks for sharing,
P:)