Friday, May 29

The Non-Agrarian Report

I don't know why we're doing this. I really don't. Zorak's pretty good at it, but what made him think I would be of any benefit is beyond me. The man obviously didn't marry me for my farmwife skilz.

There's a tree, down in the meadow, a huge, sprawling tree, that's been left to its own devices for such a long time. After "the mowing" (accompanied by "the twitching", and that one point where a blackberry bramble came up behind me and stuck me in the neck, and I nearly flew right up over the front of the mower, thinking I'd been nailed by a cottonmouth...) well, after all of that, and a few days to recover what's left of my dignity, I realized the tree is no longer nestled into anything, but stands proudly in the middle of the meadow.

It could have quite a bit of character, I thought. If properly trimmed, it could offer more than just a place for ticks and snakes and whoknowswhat to hide, but it could also provide a shady place to the babies to play (but not with the snakes), and for us to rest during the hot summer days.

So once again, my flights of imagination overruled my common sense, and I got out there with trimmers and clippers and a saw. I'll get pictures today. I swear to you, I think it's a poison ivy TREE. I kid you not. John was with me, and I warned him to stay away from the poison ivy. But then we noticed it was everywhere. Then we noticed it was not growing *on* the tree, it was growing *out of* the tree. As if it were the tree. Huh. Weird.

Since I haven't reacted to poison ivy yet, I set John loose to hack down the stuff the mower couldn't take down (it is so nice to have a child proficient with a machete, weird as that may sound), and I got to work. Got all the lower limbs, got the suckers off, and then I scaled the tree to start working on the upper portion. All was well, until I realized the tree was absolutely *covered* in little bitty caterpillars. And spiders the size of my thumb. And poison ivy vines. Not a realization you want to come to, twenty feet up in the air.

I'll skip the part about calling for a spotter, but I will say Zorak has learned a lot about working with the less-capable in the field. He remembered to warn me before he grabbed hold of my leg to steady me. Heaven knows I might have panicked and scrambled up to the top of the tree, thinking I'd been nabbed by a rare Alabama Python! And it's hard to blog from the top of a tree.

The children have also learned to at least wait until Mom's back on the ground before you start snickering. Although John did offer to go up for me next time.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

7 comments:

Laura said...

Oh, MY! It sounds like a tree out of a Harry Potter book!

If you don't mind using chemical poison, Round-Up works well on poison ivy. You just spray some on a few of the leaves and it kills the plant. We had a lot of poison ivy on the fences and trees when we first moved here - we still have some, but we're slowly getting rid of the nasties.

(Steve and our second son, Aric, are not allergic to poison ivy. Would that we were all so blessed!!!)

Jenni said...

Yes, pictures really are necessary here.

I wrestled with the mower on the hill out by the road for a few hours this morning. Now I'm trying to decide whether or not I want to go out and trim dead limbs and mow the area around the garden. It's so much nicer in here next to the computer...

Jennie C. said...

I'm laughing out loud over here, and Brenna is complaining I'm rude for not telling her why. :-)

Erin said...

Oh, I laughed and laughed! I so want to be that competent farm girl, but then along comes a bug, and off I go screaming! I hope eventually it will happen, but until then I'll be drinking in the house, looking out the window. Maybe you'll sit in there with me!?

melissa said...

Alright. now just who the hell is gonna come over here and wipe off this computer screen, now that I've sprayed water all over it from laughing so hard!?!

Emily (Laundry and Lullabies) said...

Dy, you just made me laugh out loud in a coffee shop. I'm sure everyone thinks I'm a little nuts now. :)

What a trip! What a tree! And I love that your son is proficient with a machete. :) Awesome!

So glad you blog, Dy. So glad.

Gem said...

Can I just day, Dy, that it makes me love you even more that you aren't awesome at EVERY DANG THING!!! :P