Wednesday, April 1

Wednesday Weediness

In spite of the fact that we are not farmers, we're doing it again. I do wish I'd remembered my camera when we headed out to garden. Em took forever to join us, because she had to stop and pick every little flower on the path. By the time she got to the barn, both hands were full - little daisies in one hand, and some teeny-tiny lily type thing in the other. She carried them around, and refused to set them down, so she wasn't much help. But she was awfully decorative.

We put our big, strapping okra plants into the ground. Then we stood back and gave a collective, "Oh, that's pitiful!" They looked much larger in the sprouting trays. All alone in the big, big world, however, they look like weeds, just waiting to be picked.

Then we tried to use the wood chipper to mulch the leaves in the back yard. That didn't go so well. Not that the thing hasn't already worked off the $10 we spent on it, but I want to mulch leaves and cannot figure out how to make it work! Zorak wants to just burn them, but we desperately need that material IN the ground back there. Where it's not damp, it's covered in clover. And where there's no clover, it's just kind of... damp. You can see this is not going to work well for a play area, with at least one child who is violently allergic to clover. And "damp" just doesn't seem like a good backyard theme, either, come to think of it.

The boys or, rather, John marked off the area for the sunflower house. It's enormous! I started to say something, then stopped. I did give him leave to do it the way he wanted, and I did suggest he make it big enough for them to enjoy come August. He did, and it is. Directions followed. But we're gonna need more seeds.

The boys' piano teacher called this morning to see if we could come later than our regular time today, so we were on the road when we normally are not. I'm really glad we don't have to do that every week. I suspect that "rush hour" in our little hamlet is when the inmates escape from the asylum, and make a break for the open road. (It has to be lunatics. I mean, the Very Basics were totally out the window -- Red generally means, "stop" -- The dotted white line is not for straddling, in the hope that one lane will suddenly open up for you -- OK, the speed limit can be considered a general guideline, to some extent, but if you're in the front of the line and there's no wreck or rain or flying squid, you might want to consider going a titch faster than 25mph under the speed limit -- Or put on your hazzards and pull over for a bit until the voices get you all caught up. That's what I do.) I don't know how Big City folk do it every day. Yeesh. They're tough. We, however, are weenies. Weenies who like being on the road when nobody else is. Or at least when the other people on there are those who know some of the basic rules of the road.

And, we found our First Tick of the Season. On EmBaby's head. *collective shudder* Tomorrow, we all begin taking our garlic tablets. Tonight, we began the ritual evening tick-checks. Like a bunch a' apes, I tell ya. But we'll be the tick-free apes with the cool sunflower house, and boquets of dead flowers all over the house. So, that's something, right?

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

6 comments:

Jenni said...

I dread city traffic. If Wichita during rush hour is rough on my nerves, I can't imagine living in California. I think I would have to walk everywhere or take public transportation. I know I couldn't ride in the passenger seat with Danny driving too often. It could be hazardous to our marriage. He's offended enough when I white knuckle it through a Sunday morning drive stomping on my imaginary brake all the way.

We've found two ticks so far, one for each of the girls. I guess I should add garlic to the list along with that netti pot for when I go to the health food store later. You know I'm getting that thing only because you say it works. Other people who have touted its benefits generally include people who ear candle and wear magnets. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I have yet to see any convincing evidence they do anything.

Hopefully we'll be getting our garden in soon. I was feeling bad about being behind when we got that sudden snow and ice storm. Now I'm feeling wary. I've never done this before.

Anonymous said...

Absolutely wonderful ~ thanks Dy! I am laughing and smiling ear to ear.

I am planting sunflowers this weekend in the greenhouse, to share with LB, and others at our Spring Garden Party. I will think of your sweet children and their wonderful space while wishing the seeds a bountiful journey.

Keep making those wonderful memories, and best of luck with the "mulch maker".

Pamela

Anonymous said...

Can you tell me about the garlic tablets to avoid ticks. We have WAY TO MANY here. What kind, what dosage, etc. would you give your 10-year old.

Thanks,
Karen in NH

Dy said...

Karen, I have to issue all the proper caveats: we have no idea what we're doing; the professional medical advice available to us consisted generally of, "Oh, that'll never work" and "I have no idea what dose you'd use". So, we've kind had to wing it. However, here's our experience.

James, who is 10yo, takes one to two tablets a day of a softgel odorless tablet. (We tried the low-odor, and suffered olfactory backlash for it. Odorless is worth it, imho.) The tablets have are 10mg in the nutrition sidebar, but the fine print says it's a 100:1 extract that is equal to 1,000mg of fresh garlic bulb. I have no idea how much actual garlic I'd have to give them, or what the "norm" is.

This was the lowest dose we could find the day we were out. Our plan was to start them at one tablet a day, and work up until we saw an effect. One tablet did the trick for all but James (10yo), who needed to add a second tablet about 3x/week to keep them at bay.

John, who is 8yo, is our Tick Magnet - without the garlic tablets, we were having to pull embedded ticks off him every evening. Last summer, he'd still find them crawling on him, but as long as he was taking his garlic tablet each morning, we never once had one get embedded.

Smidge, who's five now, took one tablet about 5x/week last summer, and that seemed to do him just fine. He'll probably take one a day this summer.

If anybody else has experience, I hope they'll chime in! And, in the meantime, I hope this helps some. :-)

Dy

Anonymous said...

Great tip, any ideas if it works on aninmals? dogs?

P

Dy said...

No clue, sorry. We always used FrontLine on Balto, and he never had a single tick. It worked so well that we'd pick it up for guests who brough their dogs, too.

I know some people prefer to avoid chemicals, etc. But if you don't have some reason not to try it, that would be my recommendation for dogs. If you try the garlic and find that it works, though, please let us know!