Wednesday, April 8

Communication and Loopholes



So Smidge came in this morning to ask if he could use the hatchet to cut kindling. I gave him the standard song and dance (you can use the hatchet when Daddy is home, and only when Daddy is home and supervising. There is no using of the hatchet when Daddy is not home.) We've been through this. I just don't think it's wise to have ER trips for subsequent children for the *same* *exact* *injury*. Really, it seems like such a reasonable boundary.

But, being Smidge, he needs to really "get" what I'm saying. So he says, "Um, so are you saying we can't use the hatchet?"

Me: Yes.
Him: So nobody can use the hatchet?
Me: Yes.
Him: Only you can use the hatchet?
Me: Yes. (Yes, for the love of God, yes!)
Him: Oh. OK.

He walks out, and as he hits the foyer, I hear him talking to himself,
"OK, so it looks like we can only use the machete."


*blink* Somehow, I don't think we were having the same discussion. And yes, the irony of today's photo being part of the SmidgeCam upload is not lost on me.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

6 comments:

H said...

Yay! It's Thursady! Smidge is back!

Dy said...

LOL. I figure I can keep calling him Smidge on the blog. At least until he can read well enough to read the blog, right?

Mom2legomaniacs said...

LOL! That sounds like something one of mine would come up with. You have to be very specific but at the same time all-encompassing. Not an easy thing to do when kids are loophole experts.

Anonymous said...

I just laughed sooooo hard!!

Thanks for sharing.

Pamela

Emily said...

BWAHAHAHA!! I love that kid!

Kathy Jo DeVore said...

ROFLMAO