Sunday, April 26

Up Too Late

But for a good reason: I'm on vacation!

Well, not really a pack-the-bags-and-go-on-a-cruise vacation. But even Official Vacations aren't like that. Not now. Or, um, ever. No, this has been a vacation-of-sorts. A parenthetical vacation. Just a little break from the routine. Zorak, James and John are at a camporee, and they're having a wonderful time (or at least the boys are), and truth be told, so am I.

It's been a bit of a decadent little treat, really. I've had a day and two nights of relaxation. An ease in the laundry load. Everybody (else) in bed by a reasonable hour, as everybody (else) ought to be. Time alone, with nobody filibustering (which I can appreciate), or making lewd comments (which, truth be told, I also appreciate, but on a totally different level). *ahem*

But still.

My Inner Introvert has been fairly starved as of late, and it's been so unbelievably nice to have a little down time. (I had ice cream!) (With sprinkles!) (That I didn't have to share!) Nice to watch a GURL movie without comments from the peanut gallery. (Wives & Daughters) Nice to clean the kitchen and find it still clean the next time I need to use it. (Stop me if I'm sounding pathetic, okay?)

I'm nearly done re-reading Fellowship of the Ring. In more than three-page chunks. (It makes so. much. more. sense!)

As frivolous as all this sounds, the Littles haven't been neglected. (Quite the opposite, actually, as this is a break with them, not from them). We've played dominoes and watched movies, read stories and told jokes. EmBaby, Jase and I sat through Smidge's baseball game and cheered him on. EmBaby and I and chased down the water bottle Jase kept tossing beneath the bleachers. We had peanut butter sandwiches for lunch and steamed cauliflower with supper (they picked - I prefer broccoli, but they love the White Trees). We ate candy canes, just because they found a box of them. They've been a joy and a delight all their own on this little vacation of ours.

And in the morning, the Big Guys will return, and it will be wonderful. Perhaps EmBaby may then believe me that they haven't been shipped off for good (she didn't seem terribly convinced after they left). We'll hit the ground running in our loud, noisy, messy way. And that, too, will be wonderful.

I won't even mind giving up Zorak's side of the bed. (much)

But now, to bed, or I will mind how quickly the sun comes up when one's vacation comes to an end!

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

3 comments:

Emily (Laundry and Lullabies) said...

Your "vacation" sounds lovely. I think it is interesting that whatever number of kids you have, less is always a vacation. What I mean is that I remember thinking that one child was so much work (back in the day!) and now if I only have one child at home with me or out doing errands, it is a breeze and a joy! Right now I have three and I think that they're quite a handful, but then I read your post and realize that for you, three is also a breeze and a joy! :) I guess it is just all in the perspective!

Urban Mom said...

A well-deserved rest! Hope you've enjoyed the time. A rested mommy is a happy mommy!

Dy said...

Oh, yes, Emily - you nailed it. We spool up to our "norm" pretty quickly (relatively speaking) as we add children to the mix, and then, any break from that (reducing the # of children in the house) suddenly feels like we've been given super powers, or an extra six hours a day, or any number of goodies.

It's funny to think just how much more work you're capable of now than you were six years ago, isn't it? Makes me wonder just what I could have accomplished if I'd known what I was capable of. LOL!