Saturday, February 7

Weekend Warrior - Project Blogging - Updated!

Amy inspired me. OK, she shamed me. She's putting in toe kicks this weekend, and her kitchen hasn't been together long enough to get the stove top dirty. Mine's been in so long I've had to take a putty knife to it (twice) and I still haven't put the toe kicks on. Gah.

So. Fine. I have a semi-legitimate reason for the lack of finishing touches in the kitchen, and they are not all based on our Functional Trumps Finished approach to home decor. However, they aren't going in this weekend, either. So, I had to come up with something else...

Anybody remember the Futon Chair project? Yes, over a year ago, I commented that we'd need another cushion... obviously, that wasn't a driving Need, like unfrozen pipes, or armadillo food a salsa garden in the upper meadow. Whatever. But it was U-G-L-Y. And the more the kids crawled around on it, the worse it got. Oy.

We'd taken to storing papers and notebooks on it, just to try and disguise it a bit. (As you can tell, that didn't work.)

So that was my project for this weekend.

I started by dragging up old foam mattresses that had come with the boys' bunk beds. They've been living in the basement, awaiting some kind of new life or Viking Burial, whichever came first. (The boys were hoping for the fire, to be honest.) Sized it up, measured it... ok, no, I didn't measure it. You knew that. Eyeballed it.




Then I cut the mattresses to size, removed the outer fabric (not that I didn't dig the space theme, but it would have clashed with the Prometheus theme we already have going in the living room), and used spray adhesive to stick the two mattresses together. (Had to do that part, because they are thin, cheap foam mattresses. One would not be comfortable. That would be why they live in the basement.)




I covered the foam in muslin. This makes a nice, firm, smooth cushion. Keeps everything together. And when you take the cover off, you don't have exposed foam for the children to peck at and decimate during the dry cycle. Total sanity saver.

Dry fit one. last. time. (Probably not a necessary step if you measure, to be honest.)




And... then make everybody wait for tomorrow to see the Finished Project, because the light was too bad in that room to get a decent photo by that point. Sorry.

But what about you? The weekend isn't over! Pop on over to Amy's place and join in the Weekend Warrior fun!

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

And here is the mostly-finished project:


It still needs velcro closures along the top back, but I ran out of good light and so, that's where I had to stop. The kids don't seem to mind at all, though...

6 comments:

Amy said...

Yay! That is awesome. I still don't have a toekick. The whole Daddy/Daughter Dance basically encompassed the entire day. I'm not very good at fixing hair.

I'm anxious to see what you are covering it with. You don't come off as crafty, but you totally are, LOL!

Anniesue said...

The foam mattresses were genius. I'm so impressed!!

Kathyb1960 said...

Well, I am anxious to see what it looks like now!!!

I bet it looks great!

Erin said...

I love it! But, what are the girls going to sleep on when we come visit next? Cause it's all about me ya know!

mere said...

Very Nice!

I spent my whole weekend playing Florence Nightingale. We're thinking it might be the flu. It was not fun. at. all.

I have not come down with it. I can not get sick. I can not get sick. I can not get sick. This is my mantra.

Do I see EmBaby's new haircut in the picture? Very cute!

mere

Amy said...

I love it! And it's genius doing the velcro closures. Another place to snuggle up and read.

BTW, Embaby is so precious!