Monday, February 23

And now, the rest of the story.

(Sorry for the delay. Zorak beat me to the computer last night, and I couldn't outlast the Medal of Honor combat.) So, picking up the story...

This morning, I left the kids with LB. They were having a beautiful breakfast, planning feats of artistic creation that are best performed when I am not home.

I picked up the ultrasound films and headed to the appointment. Small mix-up with the scheduling. They told me ten. They wrote down down eleven. Then, I actually got there early (it's a new thing I'm trying - not panning out so well, to be honest), so that made for a lot of sitting and mocking of the various sales propaganda. (Hey, Baxter makes a large variety of dialysis machines, but they don't seem to know squat about diet, other than, "food and drink are the primary causes of waste". Aren't ya glad you asked? Oh, you didn't ask. OK, nevermind. Moving on, then.)

In a nutshell:

The N-Doc (Nephrologist, but N-Doc is shorter and catchier) asked me to fill him in, because he could not make any sense out of ex-Doc's notes. (His words. I swear I am not projecting.) So, I filled him in on the ongoing pain, my tendency to compartmentalize (aka: ignore) pain, the fear-of-cancer that spurred me to go in, our relief at finding it's not cancer, and our current frustration that ex-Doc refuses to listen to my concerns regarding Life, the Universe, and Everything. (Or, more specifically, the pain, the kidney, and the ultrasound.)

N-Doc looked at the radiologist report. He asked to see the films. He took one look and had no trouble finding The Thing That Isn't There. He said, without fear of reprisal, "Well, that looks nothing like nephrocalcinosis! That looks like a huge stone. Or two stones. Or, I don't know what, because it is in an odd place for stones. But it is definitely NOT nephrocalcinosis." (And yes, the report said "nephrocalcinosis", not "nephrosis", which is what ex-Doc had said it was.)

As a matter of fact, he was surprised to find that the radiologist's report bears no resemblance whatsoever to the images on the film, other than that it's about kidney. And both have my name at the top. (The film, not the kidney. Although that might not be a bad idea...)

He agrees that we need to know a few things:
A) What is that?
B) Why am I making things like that?
C) What can we do to make it stop?
D) Is there anything else in there that might indicate a pattern?

He said the fact that it's unilateral is odd, for stones, considering the sheer mass of the thing (or things - he wants to find out more on that end, too). The placement is odd, for anything. The size is "impressive", according to him, and when I said I really had no desire to pass something that size on my own, he snorted and said, "Oh, you couldn't. I can tell you that, right now."

All of the things I suggested to ex-Doc, which she poo-poo'd and blew off, and accused me of making things up? Yeah, he brought them up on his own:
A) 24-hour urine test to determine the makeup of whatever that is
B) Dietary modifications, if/as indicated by further test results
C) Um... oh yeah, further tests

I go in for a C/T scan tomorrow, so we can get a better picture of Joe (KathyJo named it for me). And then I have the following week to just enjoy the kids, the family, the friends, and the weather before my follow-up consultation. But there will be a follow-up consultation! Yay!

Just another reminder that we've got to pay attention. We've got to be willing to educate ourselves about anything we might come in contact with. And we've got to keep going until we get answers -- clear, upfront, above board answers.

THANK YOU, all for your continued thoughts and prayers. For your words of encouragement and kindness. I can't tell you how much that meant.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

13 comments:

Deb said...

Dy, thanks for letting us know. It's much better to have a name (in your case literally) for what this is, and I will be thinking of you. Please let us know as soon as you have an update. People you don't even know, but who have been enjoying your blog for years, are pulling for you!

Kim said...

Praise the Lord for something positive out of all this. I'll be praying.

Jenni said...

Oh thank goodness! I'm so glad you finally got a reasonable doctor who was willing to listen to you and really look at what's going on. I'll be praying for your CT scan this morning, for answers, and most of all for this thing being taken care of.

mere said...

Well, I'm glad someone is willing to listen to you and acknowledge that your intelligent and informed and not a clueless bubblehead! I'm soooo glad she's your "ex" doc!

I think this N-Doc is really going to help you...and I hope he contacts "ex" and gives her a piece of his mind (frankly I'd like to give her a nice hard shake) but regardless of that your going to feel better. Soon.

I'm still praying for you. Keep us informed!

mere

Melora said...

Wow! So now you have a doctor who can read reports, look at films, and use his brain! This is good!
I hope today's C/T show conclusively what is going on & how to fix it.

Anonymous said...

oh, my, Di! I've started reading blogs while i walk on the treadmill, so I'm actually getting caught up on what is going in other peoples' lives. I'm glad you found a good doctor--I know when Jacob had surgery, knowing the doctors were well-recommended made the whole process easier. Hoping you are doing better soon. Jean

Anonymous said...

Wow! That must have been quite the experience for you. Great example for so many that in most cases, you really do know yourself better than anyone. Thanks for sharing.

Seeing you well and blessed,

Pamela

Anonymous said...

thank you for letting us know...there are lots of people who love you and are praying for you. Hope the CT scan goes ok...I know the waiting is hard, but we are praying for some good news.
Hugs and prayers
Kathy

Anonymous said...

Dy - Thanks for the continuation. We will pray for Joe to be close to "nothing important".

Blessings,
Michele

Emily (Laundry and Lullabies) said...

I am so glad you have a doctor who is paying attention, now. I guess God knew what he was doing sending you to him! :)

Urban Mom said...

Thinking of you! And relieved that you have a doc who is actually *listening* now.

Hang in there. And keep us posted!

momanna98 said...

Sigh... Just another reminder on why I DON'T GO TO DOCTORS! They are idiots! I swear that I am smarter than them. It's like med school stole their ability to think and they just spout out textbook answers even when they make no sense whatsoever!! GRRRRR... I'm mad now.
Glad you found a doctor willing to help you out! :-)

Amber said...

That's wonderful that it sounds like you're on the right track now! What is it with doctors who seem far more invested in their view of what the world should be like than actually paying attention to the situation on the ground. Sheesh. I hope that you and this new, helpful doctor are able to get to the bottom of this quickly!

And as a total aside... what's the name of the handwriting curriculum you're using this year that you were praising sometime in the last few weeks/months/some interval of time which is all going way too fast these days to keep track? I'm trying to figure something out for Emma and I wanted to take a look at what you were using... but I can't remember or find the name of it. So if you could let me know, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!