Tuesday, December 27

Slowing Down a Bit

Well, it was bound to happen. I saw it coming, but I'm still not happy about it. I have an inner control freak to feed, you know. But here it is, and today about all I accomplished was picking up the kitchen faucet and general domestic work. I'm sure Zorak is starting to Suspect that I'm malingering. But I'm not, really. Physically, I feel great, other than the normal third trimester aches and pinches. The problem is my head. My head's just a little fuzzy. It's as if I've broken my mental fine tuning knob and can't. quite. see. the next thing to do.

I realized this morning, as I cleaned up the third puppy puddle, relegated the middle boy to cleaning up the styrofoam he'd shredded with a stick all over the dining room (All by myself? Yes, dear, all by yourself, just like you made that mess in the first place *smile*), pointed out to the eldest child that if he had been picking things up off the floor like he was *supposed to be doing* he wouldn't have ground that orange slice into the rug in his room, tracked the trail of spilled egg nog from the kitchen sink back to the eldest son's boot (he has no peripheral vision, I'm convinced of it), steer-roped the youngest child for the umpteenth time to try to get the snotsicles under control (drawback to homeschooling: he hasn't been sick enough to become a proficient nose blower yet), and kicked that stoopid Thomas toy for the fourth time in as many minutes...

... that I needed to set some goals and get on them, or Zorak was going to come home to find the children and the dog locked outside and me in bed with a book and my own box of tissues.

So I set five goals for today:
1 To the Pet Depot for supplies (ie - something for the puppy to chew on other than Smidge's feet, no wonder the child thinks he's going to be eaten)
2 To Home Depot for a kitchen sink (so the installers can drill the sink out for it while they're here and we don't have to mess up a perfectly nice sink ourselves)
3 Wire outlets for the living room (Zorak got off early today because he went in at some unholy hour, and he's ready to sheetrock those two walls)
4 Hang insulation in the dining room, and if I have time, wire those outlets, too.
5 Make turkey soup and pumpkin bread for supper (the carcass is simmering now)

I accomplished #'s 1, 2, and 5. That was it. Zorak put in the last two rows of insulation while James and I wired outlets, but it wasn't ready when he got home this afternoon. The soup was tasty, though. That's gotta count for something. If it doesn't, then it ought to. And I did throw together pumpkin muffins for the boys' afternoon snack and a loaf of pumpkin bread for breakfast tomorrow.

My children need me right now, and ironically, I need a nanny. Not for them, for me. In the professional world, they refer to them as Personal Assistants, or even Executive Secretaries. But they're nannies: responsible, organized adults who take care of, run herd on, tend to, and otherwise assist those of us who just can't get that grip on the next thing. I should have plopped my butt down on Santa's lap last week and asked for one. What's he going to say? No? (Well, yeah, but that's beside the point.)

Anyhow, that was the day today. Pretty mundane, boring stuff, unless egg nog spills excite you. In that case, it was a banner day.

Oh. Smidge. My wee Smidge. I spotted him tonight, sitting on the top bunk with his back to the ladder, head bobbing side to side like he was at a Raffi concert. Spider sense went off (a bit late, might want to get my batteries checked) so I called and asked him what he's doing. He flipped around with the biggest deer-in-the-headlights look I've ever seen, and both cheeks completely puffed out. It seems he has discovered James' stocking stash. The little nutmonkey waits for James to be otherwise engaged, then hightails it up the ladder to pillage the loot. I have no idea how long this has been going on, but at least when I asked him if he was eating James' candy, he nodded happily and 'fessed up. Tomorrow I will reimburse James from Smidge's stocking and James gets the fun task of trying to find a place to hide his things from his wily and stunningly stealthy-for-a-2-year-old baby brother. Ah, the joys of being the eldest sibling.

I sure wish some of y'all would get blogging regularly again - I don't get nearly the RDA of relaxing front porch time lately. ;-)

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

12 comments:

Melora said...

Love the image of your little chocolate bandit at work! Our dd, age 3, has also been eating her big brother's (and parents'!) chocolate. Fortunately for her (although, perhaps unfortunately for her figure), her big brother has a "take it or leave it" attitude toward sweets.
Good luck with getting that very cute puppy of yours house trained quickly. I am in awe of all you are getting done. I remember how even painting base boards became a real challenge when I had a 9 month baby tummy to work around.
Best wishes,
Melora in FL

Amy said...

Trying again - my comment went "poof".

I say get a dog door. Just write "cut a hole in the door" on Zorak's list. It will save you a lot of aggravation. Rudy learned in about a day how that system worked.

I also say that you should take your fuzz-brain as the Sign From God that it is. Your body is storing up energy and concentration poweres for this big gig it's got coming up. Take the cue and rest a bit. Emily will not notice that the house isn't complete, I promise.

You're really amazing, Dy! It blows me away, all that you do.

Amy

Laney said...

LOL, Dy, you do need a personal assistant!

I hate to tell you this but, I'm the oldest and I used to steal my sister's candy. We laugh about it now and I have long since apologized! It was so easy to comvince her that she, not me, had eaten it! Poor thing, she believed everything I told her.:-)

I saw the pics you posted and the boys look so happy, it warms my heart! And *you* look beautiful! I couldn't even tell you are pregnant!

Try to get some rest!Ha!

Dy said...

Hi Melora, thanks for the note. I can't imagine doing anything that involves bending over for more than five or ten seconds anymore, so I think the baseboards will have to wait til spring! LOL! Also, I stopped by your blog - your children are adorable!

Amy, I might have to be more specific w/ the door thing, or we could have some really interesting blog material for a while, but yes, I've considered the doggie door. It would make my life quite manageable. What about random animals coming in?

Laney, I'm surprised she didn't strangle you in your sleep! And I'm also SO glad she didn't - I love the relationship you two share now. It's one of my role models for hope for siblings who get along as adults. LOL.

OK, I'm off to watch a quick flick w/ the boys while it warms up a bit and then I'm tossing them outside to romp while I work. It'll be good.

Dy

Amy said...

Dy, our previous house backed up to a pretty thick wood. There were coyotes, raccoons, opossums (and copperheads!) all over the place. We never had an issue. And most of the doors come with a slide in cover, so you can close it up at night when the 'possums and 'coons are out looking for vittles.

We always left it open all night because Rudy's diabetes caused her to need to go out a lot, and we never had a problem. But you can close it for peace of mind.

Spinneretta said...

Dy,

Sounds like Miss Emily is telling you to slow down some so she actually has some TIME in which to insert her arrival ;)
Just do the err... not so intensive stuff, I am sure Zorak understands... and if he doesn't send him here so we can teach him LOL.
As for blogging... I have been... and posting pics from my new camera ;) and I think if there are not enough blogs up and running for you, that you should go and look at CHICKEN TRACTORS... that should entertain you ;)

hornblower said...

Congratulations on your first Christmas in your forever home! Sounds lovely. Gorgeous puppy!

I was just telling my family about you last night. We were talking about those pioneer families who came to settle Canada a couple hundred years ago, and the women had to cook the meals, and build/repair the houses, and look after the children, and 1/2 the time they were pregnant....and I got to say "hey, I know someone who's doing that now!"
:-)
Hope you get some rest soon. Growing babies is hard work.

Delaina said...

Dy,

I only have a minute. We're getting ready to run out. I wanted to say that I am so glad to see you're back! I've missed you. If you have some time in the near future, give me a ring. I may have some tips for you with that sweet little puppy and training. Diesel (our Golden) is almost 8 months old and we've dubbed him "Big Dog". I can't believe how quickly they grow and learn! It's amazing.

You're boys are still so handsome and I can't believe how much they've grown. And you look stunning as well. I really couldn't tell that you're pregnant in the picture.

I hope you had a wonderful Christmas in your forever home! Please excuse any typos, I'm in a hurry.

Call me!

Delaina

Barbara said...

The candy incident reminds me oh so much of the week after Halloween this year. About four days after Halloween I found a candy wrapper in the boys' room. And another, and another, and then I looked under the bed and discovered pretty much ALL of the candy wrappers. Turns out Son2 (5 1/2) ate almost all of his Halloween candy on the sly! The shock! The horror! Well, actually, this was the first year I didn't bother to store the candy wayyyyyyy up high, and whaddaya know, Mr. Sweet Tooth helped himself, liberally, secretly. At least it appeared he mostly ate his own candy, sigh.

It's great to "see" you again in the blog world, and hear about your life in the real world and your forever home. Christmas blessings to you and yours!

melissa said...

Hey girl! Ya know....I would feel sorry for you....I would...if it weren't for that PICTURE down below of you and the boys. For crying out loud! How are you looking so good???? Seriously. YOU LOOK GREAT! Dirty floors and insulation be damned, you're lookin' good and cookin' good....now THAT'S what counts!

So, so glad that you're back!

Bob and Claire said...

Yeah, a nanny sounds great! I would settle for a laundry lady right now. I can't believe how much laundry sick little kids make! And I like your "goals list"--sounds just like my daily goals! Not! LOL! : )

The Queen said...

Two words: crate training. It's good for puppy and it'll make your life so much easier. Well, maybe crate training and a good timer since crate training works best when there's a bit of a schedule to it.

Lots of info here (and maybe even some to disagree with me, I don't know):
http://www.uwsp.edu/psych/dog/lib-SpecTrain.htm#crate