Saturday, December 24

Merry Christmas Eve

So last night, in addition to getting the computer up and running, I got to sleep - for the first time in nearly a month - in our own bed! Oh, talk about refreshed and happy! I love and appreciate the futon, but I think I know why we found it sitting out - the thing sinks ever so slightly in the middle, so when five people pile on in the morning, woe is the mama who rolls deeply into the ditch in the middle and gets buried by the masses of bodies. I awoke this morning on a flat, level plane. Mmmmm, Merry Christmas, indeed.

Zorak and I are like a couple of kids at, well, at Christmas. We are totally psyched. We'd decided a while back that this would be The Year For A Puppy. (Did ya hear that, Aunt Bonnie?) James has had to have his dreams of a family pet put off repeatedly, as each new stage turned out to be not-what-we'd-expected. He's been so good about it. John doesn't really think it will ever happen at this point. Smidge? Well, hey, he's two, so we'll just have to find another way to mess him up later on.

So we began our search for a lab mix, or a coondog mix. Whatever it was, we knew it needed to be a mutt, a male, and a puppy. It needed to need a home full of love and adventure and security. And it needed to be Just The Right Dog. As of yesterday, we had begun to give up hope of finding him. But then, as Zorak turned to leave the pound, he met a lady with a puppy... a mutt puppy, an abandoned puppy she'd found in her yard, a little mellow male puppy. He'd been refused at the shelter because they are full, and Zorak, who has a very strange (yet positive) effect on women, ended up leaving with the puppy, toys from another woman and her daughter, a photo of him with the puppy, and some email addresses. Someone mentioned a "Christmas Miracle", and I'm pretty sure someone got teary-eyed. To be honest, I can't even imagine how that one played out. Those things don't happen to me. But they do to Zorak, and Our Puppy has found us.

He took the pup to Ben & Claudia's to stay until this evening. I went over last night to visit with him, and left absolutely floored that Zorak had found Just The Right Dog at Just The Right Moment. He's perfect. He's going to be big. He's got a great personality. I am in love. Zorak is in love. The boys are going to be completely in love. And what's so great about all this love is that we have the space, the time, the resources, to spend on this little guy in welcoming him into the family and making him a part of our lives. How absolutely cool.

LB asked me if I was sure I wanted to take on a new puppy and a new baby within just a few weeks of each other, and I started laughing (perhaps a bit maniacally). It's not like we haven't passed into the realm of the absurd several months ago. Might as well get all the big changes over at once, right? Besides, this will lessen the boys' disappointment in not getting the infrared nightvision goggles (John) or the pair of breeding elves (James) they'd asked Santa for.

My only concern at the moment is that we are going to throw Smidge into a series of epileptic fits from which he may not recover. Everything this child sees sends him into spasms of joy and pleasure. The lights, the ornaments, the cookies, the trees. Even the plain, undecorated trees will get him quivering. Throw a strand of lights on it and he's visibly vibrating. Break out another strand and he's paralyzed with the trembles. I don't know that he's going to make it through Christmas morning without going into a four hour grand mal fit. I have never, in my life, seen someone enjoy the sights and sounds of Christmas the way Smidge does. But this year, I know how he feels.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

8 comments:

Kim said...

Oh, Dy, I have truly missed you! I'm so glad to hear that you are getting settled. And a new puppy, too!

Have a wonderful Christmas. Thank you for all your encouragement to me!

Amber said...

Breeding elves?? LOL!! That is very creative.

Welcome back, Matt and I have missed reading your blog while you were busy, busy, busy. I'm glad to hear that all is going so well, and it all sounds wonderful!

Congrats about finding such a perfect dog too, he sounds like a wonderful addition to the family. What a year you and your family have had... this will certainly become one of the great family legends, won't it.

Oh, and I have to brag for a moment - Matt and I had our baby a week ago - a little boy we named Gregory Alan. He's (and we all!) are doing wonderfully. He's sitting (well, slouching *grin*) on my lap right now making smacking noises so I think I best go feed him again. :-)

Welcome back to the blogging world! :-)

Donna Boucher said...

Welcome back!

Merry Christmas....and God Bless you!

I would like pictures of you house for my Christmas present :o)

Greedy Gus :o)

Love to all,
Donna

CarolynM said...

Welcome back, Dy and family! Please return every one of Smidge's thousand hugs for me -- I can just tell what a darling little guy he is! Every time I have pictured you and your Forever Home, there has been a big happy dog running and bouncing along with the boys. It's wonderful that he found you! Merry Christmas wishes from Iowa, but I can tell you already are having a very merry Christmas! (but do take a little time off now and then to rest and put your feet up.)

The Queen said...

I'm sooooo happy you're back!!

And I'm soooo happy to hear that this is a puppy Christmas for you :) Every forever home needs a dawg or two :)

Isn't this Christmas just magnificent?!?

:::happy sigh:::

Needleroozer said...

Oh Yay, yay, and yay again! You backc online. I have enjoyed talking to you on the phone, but I have also missed reading your words on your blog.
Congrats on the puppy- he sounds perfect!
LB, who did a little happy dance up in her bedroom when she realized you were back online!!

Patty in WA or Rover said...

Welcome back! What a month for you and your beloveds. I rejoice in your joy and the abundant blessings all around.

Merry Christmas!

Fe said...

I told DH about what the boys had asked for, his only reaction was to wonder what _sort_ of elves... Santa elves, Tolkien elves, house elves... just what plans did he have in mind for them:-)

So glad you found the right puppy:-)